Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: What do stds learn from you?  (Read 1441 times)

Offline green

• PS Silver Member
What do stds learn from you?
on: April 08, 2004, 11:01:42 PM
What ultimately is your goal in working with a student? From the time a students spends at your studio, what do u hope your students go away with? (aside from sheet music in hand...)

I want to teach my stds how to practice - how to think and work independantly of me. I want them to be able to take the initiative to identify a problem, analyse movements, and find a techniqual solution based on how their physionomy relates to basic priniples of movement.

This is very general, and just a start.

Offline MusicMom

• PS Silver Member
Re: What do stds learn from you?
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 02:42:59 AM
My first and most important goal with each of my students is to love music and have fun!!

The one thing I've learned is that if kids don't enjoy the process, they don't get a lot out of it, and they end up resenting you as a teacher.  All my students know that I don't like being a "mean" teacher.  That being said, they also know that they need to do their part so that I don't have to be "mean".  
MusicMom

Offline DarkWind

• PS Silver Member
Re: What do stds learn from you?
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 03:04:27 AM
Why on earth are you talking about Sexually Transmitted Diseases? :P

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert