Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Choosing a Chopin Etude  (Read 2395 times)

Offline pwatzz

• PS Silver Member
Choosing a Chopin Etude
on: November 26, 2007, 07:35:37 AM
Hi, I've been an avid reader on this forum but this is my first time posting.  I was wondering which Chopin etude would be most beneficial to learn for me.  I have learnt Etude Op 10 no 1,4,6 (studied it only a little bit),9,12, Op25 no 2, 12 and the first Moscheles Etude.  My teacher told me to just pick up anyone that I haven't learned and focus on whatever I feel weakest on. However, I feel that I have so many aspects of piano to work on and really love all of his etudes.

I've tried narrowed it down (still pretty broad XD) to op 25 1,6,10 or 11.  Which one do you guys think is the most suiting for me to work on.  My current repetoire (to give you an idea of my level of playing) is Bach WTC1 no.3 C#-, Beethoven op 79a (les adieux), Mendelssohn Variations Serieuses, Ravel's Jeux d'eau (which I feel is beyond my reach at the moment) and I haven't decided on a modern piece yet.  Thanks in advance!

Offline alpacinator1

• PS Silver Member
Re: Choosing a Chopin Etude
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 10:12:24 PM
Eh, I'm no expert, but I do enjoy the Harp Study (25/1).
Working on:
Beethoven - Waldstein Sonata
Bach - C minor WTC I
Liszt - Liebestraume no. 3
Chopin - etude 25-12

Offline bob3.1415926

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 11:53:50 PM
Would you consider 10/11? Although less flash, I think this one is really good for strengthening the hands (rather than the fingers). Also I find it one of the more musically interesting of the sets. Don't dismiss it as easy. It really isn't.

Offline alpacinator1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 02:06:15 AM
Oh, what about the Revolutionary Study? That's always a favorite...
Working on:
Beethoven - Waldstein Sonata
Bach - C minor WTC I
Liszt - Liebestraume no. 3
Chopin - etude 25-12

Offline ahkow

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 02:22:31 PM
Op.25 No.5 is not bad and the middle section is nice
Busoni once commented that Op. 25 No. 8 is the most useful etude in the whole of Piano Literature

Maybe u want to try one of those

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 03:02:06 PM
Benificial in technical way i would recommand op10/2 and op10/12.
10/2 is for training your right hand 4 and 5th finger who's usually weak, and op10/12 for getting control of your left hand.

gl, gyzzzmo
1+1=11

Offline franzliszt2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 09:07:01 PM
I would reccomend op10no4 at a slow speed. It covers a lot of ground, and it's nice to learn.

Offline pwatzz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 12:49:24 AM
Thank-you everyone for replies :).  Bob brings up a good etude that I like, op 10 no. 11.  I also really like op25 no 5 too but i haven't really looked at the sixths etude.   I actually like all of them and want to learn all of them sometime in my life XD.   I'll try to play through them and see whether I want to do them.  Again, thanks for the suggestions :).

Is the thirds etude a good etude to work on the weak fingers as well?  I'm thinking that op 25 no 6 is a good one for me to work on as there are phrasing issues and thirds which will help me for my the first movement of Beethoven sonata (I need to correct myself its actually op81a).

Offline ahkow

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 06:10:04 AM
I think the etude in 3rds are quite useful. In my opinion, however, anyone intent on seriously studing the chopin etudes should start with Op.10 No. 3 and 5 and Op.25 No.1

Offline pwatzz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 05:18:17 AM
Why does everyone have to start on tristee, black key and aeolin harp etude?  My teacher says nocturnes are better than the slow etudes such as op10 no 3,6 and op 25 7. 

Offline ahkow

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 06:18:04 AM
simply because these are the easier and less challenging etudes. they provide good insight into what comes next.

Offline dan101

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 09:28:55 PM
The Chopin studies really do focus on so many diffrent technical aspects. You've already got some flashy ones in your repertoire. Why not take op. 25 no. 1 and bring practice bringing out the beautiful melodic right hand line? Good luck in choosing.
Daniel E. Friedman, owner of www.musicmasterstudios.com[/url]
You CAN learn to play the piano and compose in a fun and effective way.

Offline dan101

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 11:44:24 AM
I would pick two more contrasting studies. How about op. 10 no. 3 and op. 25 no. 11? The latter would help you immensely with the Beethoven Sonata that you are currently playing.
Daniel E. Friedman, owner of www.musicmasterstudios.com[/url]
You CAN learn to play the piano and compose in a fun and effective way.

Offline pianorin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 06:15:44 PM
well. for me.. I prefer etude op.10-12.
exercising for left hands. it's quite helpful..  ;D
I want to play as many pieces as I can before I die.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert