Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Which Mozart Sonatas?  (Read 6500 times)

Offline ned

• PS Silver Member
Which Mozart Sonatas?
on: October 01, 2002, 08:30:26 PM
What Mozart sonatas do you like best? I am currently attracted to some of the early ones.  I am working on K 283 and might try K 309. I have worked on the Fantasy and Sonata in C minor and will take it up again at some point.  

I confess that I have tended to overlook the Mozart Sonatas. No more! They are so colorful and enchanting. Real depth too! I am not terribly keen on K 331 332 333 570 576, which I know are often played.

In my opiniion, the greatest is K 310.

What is the comparative technical difficulty among the sonatas from a performance perspective?
Ned

mahavishnu

Re: Which Mozart Sonatas?
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2002, 04:26:29 AM
Hey a fellow fan of MOZART! Yeah!  I just got into Mozart only a couple of weeks ago.  I am becoming convinced that Mozart is my favorite sonata composer for the classical period.  What a statement eh?  

I agree on the K 310 too.  I love the K282 alot as well.  

Pat

Offline goodasgould

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2002, 07:18:56 AM
don't forget k. 280! It is my personal favorite - the first mvmt. is so innovative, varying rythm, articulation and dynamics in many baroque-style sequences. The 2nd. mvmt. is simply from heaven, its one of the best you'll find....and the 3rd mvmt. is a typical early-Mozartian  romp that's always fun....ok, I'm done - but check it out if you haven't already!

Offline benedict

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2002, 02:16:25 PM
:)

I particularly love nr 12 (KV 332)  F major, especially the Adagio.

I hope I can play it this year just for the poetry of it.

Offline sary2106

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 18, 2002, 04:00:59 AM
Wonderful!!! Finally I have found other people who like the K. 310!!! (my best friend doesn't really like it) I love that Mozart sonata - it is so extremely different from so many of his other sonatas. The 1st movement seems like rather passionate - almost dissonant - Mozart... the middle movement is very tragic.... the last movement - breathless. (I am recording it probably next month sometime, for a competition audition!)

Does anyone have any tips on K. 310?

Sarah
"Everything has to be a matter of life and death. The evidence is right here. Suffering and joy. That's all there is. They're so close, it strikes terror into the human soul."

The Mozart Season

Offline ned

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2002, 05:32:24 PM
Sarah,
On K310, I recommend the detailed discussion of it in the book by Bela Siki, "Piano Repertoire" (Schirmer Books 1981). If you want it and can't get it, I'll send you a xerox of that chapter. Email me at emaguire@deloitte.com.

Stick with that piece. It is monumental. Also look at K311, a fine concert selection!

I really like the other comments on the Mozart sonatas. K280 and K332 are favorites.  I also vote for the Rondo K511 and the Fantasy and Fugue in C major.
Ned

Offline RhiAnne

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 21, 2002, 07:23:09 AM
 I cannot remember which sonata it is, but it is in F-major and has a chord that begins with.  I am tempted to say it is 310.  I played it for audition this past spring.

As to my favorite Mozart sonata of all times would be his sonata in A mar, with the variations and also the wonderful third movement.

Offline 88keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 14, 2002, 12:03:30 AM
The A minor Sonata, K. 310 is definitely one of Mozart's best.

By the way, did anybody notice that Beethoven "borrowed" the theme from this sonata in his "Moonlight Sonata"?

Take a look at Beethoven's "Moonlight", Op. 27/2, 3rd movement. The 2nd subject is virtually identical to the Mozart theme!

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert