Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: What are the pros and cons of being "sensitive" ?  (Read 4465 times)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
What are the pros and cons of being "sensitive" ?
on: January 03, 2008, 07:36:55 PM
Or, maybe there are actually no "pros" whatsoever to this seeming characteristic  :-.  In any event, what are your thoughts and opinions ?
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Re: What are the pros and cons of being "sensitive" ?
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 07:57:50 PM
Well, if you mean what I think you mean - several of the musical types around here are "sensitive".  But they dish out criticism of others quite easily.  Frankly, I think that's a con.  If they are not going to be more "sensitive" to other people's work, they should devleop a thicker skin.

Just my 2 cents.

So much music, so little time........

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 08:09:30 PM
Yes, that is definitely right along the lines of what I am talking about.  Actually, you bring up a good point.  People can be so sensitive and are very quick to take on a defensive attitude and demeanor and will become quite mean to others without care about the other's feelings.  So, yeah, I wonder what good "sensitivity" really does ?  A person is aware of sensitivity in themselves and sensitivity in general and this causes them to become unsensitive and even hurtful to another.

What's the point ?
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 08:39:47 PM
.  In any event, what are your thoughts and opinions ?

Sensativity is very important,it is also closely linked with intelligence.Now being touchy is often confused with sensativity,a person that is easly hurt can be be a very insensative person,whereas as a very strong personality type that is rearly hurt can be a very sensative person.For instance a person who is sensative has the ability not to hurt others,he/she is in touch with the more intimate side of people,it is an intelligence,call it emotional IQ,some have it but most dont. Nothing impresses me more than a sensative person.
      BTW some very sensative musicians are the most insensative people in the world.So i would say it is a con,since it is a quality.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 10:07:01 PM
BTW some very sensative musicians are the most insensative people in the world.

Also a very good point !

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 01:48:51 PM
I don't actually think that sensitivity per se has any cons. The question is if you learn to deal with your own sensitivity. Sensitivity is a chance to get a better perception of the world and of other people. I only have a problem when my mind collapses under the load of the many strong impressions I get from the world or from other people because of my sensitivity. And I tend to think that it is not a good solution to make oneself less sensitive, but to get a stronger mind and soulish immune system.

Some people's sensitivity in music versus insensitivity in life might sometimes be a result of such a collapse. If suddenly everything gets too much you close yourself because you can't work out any more input and that may seem rude or insensitive towards other people.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 09:03:48 PM
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline franz_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 09:35:13 PM

BTW some very sensative musicians are the most insensative people in the world.

Some names?  :P
Currently learing:
- Chopin: Ballade No.3
- Scriabin: Etude Op. 8 No. 2
- Rachmaninoff: Etude Op. 33 No. 6
- Bach: P&F No 21 WTC I

Offline pianochick93

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 06:54:21 AM
One Laurence...a guy in my class. Pretty insensitive in matters of real life, but a damned good pianist.
h lp! S m b dy  st l   ll th  v w ls  fr m  my  k y b  rd!

I am an imagine of your figmentation.

Offline sexypianofingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 05:45:23 AM
I know one girl in my class, Ella Smith, who is really amazingly considerate and sensative... 

Offline pianochick93

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 12:54:29 PM
Waaah! What the?

But in year 8 you were just a bit more immature.

...damn...now I feel stalked. And just a little bit creeped out

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 02:32:54 PM
Being a musician, artist and writer I think I am more sensitive to people and how they respond to me.  I may get ticked off or fall in love(making a friend type of thing).  Plus, my sensitivity enables me to interpret music from within instead without the  mechanical approach.
However, being too sensitive can hinder my progress too in my everyday life:
I am too sensitive that I become hurt easily, by how someone says or does something; I am too sensitive to loud noises and commotion, therefore, I need more quiet in my life; I am too sensitive in being around crowds and groups.  So, it depends upon the day and how I physicially feel whether my sensitivity can be beneficial or not....

best wishes,

go12_3
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline turayza

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 11:00:34 PM
Ah...sensitive as in easily insulted/affected by other people, or sensitive as in able to read the emotions of others very well?
They tend not to go together because someone sensitive the second way usually won't be affected by a misunderstanding.
And then there's sensitive physically...which would be very helpful if your ears are sensitive and you use them. (:
Looking for a Baroque piece. Suggest one?
I've been looking at:
-Scarlatti K. 115

Offline pianochick93

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 09:52:27 AM
Ah...sensitive as in easily insulted/affected by other people, or sensitive as in able to read the emotions of others very well?

I guess both...
I'm not as sensitive in the former way, unless said person is very close to me and their comment particularly hurtful. In the latter way I am pretty sensitive. For my friends I am 'the listener' because I know the right things to say and never say insensitive things at all.

Offline frigo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 12:23:12 PM
I tell you my experience: when we are sensitive, kind, intelligent and gentle, and I'm talking as a man, women just begin to think they can get anything from you, and so you lose your mystery, and then they despise you. I like to be kind to women, to let them pass first, to open the door for them, to carry the heavy things, but then they despise for I give no longer any kind of fight. That's why I become unsensitive, unkind and I pretend I'm stupid.

Offline pianochick93

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 12:59:16 PM
It depends on the girl there. Personally, I love chivalrous guys. I don't see them as being weak or boring, I see them as being thoughtful. Guys who don't give a sh*t for the women near them don't deserve girlfriends, in my opinion. Intelligent guys who can hold a conversation with me are good, because then I don't get bored and I don't have to pretend to be stupid just so I don't hurt their ego. I could date an ugly guy, I could date a crazy guy, but I couldn't date an insensitive or stupid one. I'd get bored :)

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 01:17:36 PM
but I couldn't date an insensitive or stupid one. I'd get bored :)

Get lost, just for the record E= Mc tomato. 8)
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 01:27:31 PM
Get lost, just for the record E= Mc tomato. 8)

LOL

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 01:34:44 PM
This topic can go in different directions here....being sensitive about music and how we as musicians interpret the pieces we play.  Being sensitive towards others and how they treat us.
It would be nice that everyone can be sensitive towards others so that feelings won't get hurt. Young people get hurt by being too sensitive, so it is better to be sensitive enough to have feelings, but not be too sensitive that each word and outward action brings misery.
No one wants to be treated unfairly.  Guys and gals need to realize that neither is better than the other.  I know guys that are sensitive to how I feel, and yet, I know some that are not aware(it's not that they are insensitive) of how their actions can affect someone.  It depends up the situation and persons involved. 

best wishes,

go12_3

Offline frigo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 11:01:47 AM
It depends on the girl there. Personally, I love chivalrous guys. I don't see them as being weak or boring, I see them as being thoughtful. Guys who don't give a sh*t for the women near them don't deserve girlfriends, in my opinion. Intelligent guys who can hold a conversation with me are good, because then I don't get bored and I don't have to pretend to be stupid just so I don't hurt their ego. I could date an ugly guy, I could date a crazy guy, but I couldn't date an insensitive or stupid one. I'd get bored :)

Then I think I just have to meet someone like you to have some lucky.  ;)

Offline stucoy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: September 05, 2009, 10:24:01 PM
I am a very highly sensitive person - also known as an 'HSP'. High sensitivity is gaining attention as a genuine genetic trait, and a fair amount of psychological research has been done on the trait, mostly by Elaine Aron. Perhaps you are one, too. I took the test at www.hsperson.com and scored 26 out of the 27 points.

Ok, so what are the pros and cons of being highly sensitive? It's easier to answer by explaining what it feels like to be highly sensitive. I feel everything very strongly, and I mean everything. For example, when I listen to a piece of classical music I like, I get VERY strong reactions to it (I mean stronger than you can imagine, unless of course you yourself are highly sensitive.) So I have a very intense enjoyment when I experience any culture of high quality, be it books, films or music, and this trait makes me feel lucky to get such intense reactions.
But there is a downside, in that anything bad affects me very badly. Whatever is happening to me, I get a very strong psychological reaction to it, which I can't control. So, if I'm at work and it's a bit boring, then I feel extremely bored, or if more stuff is going on, and it gets a bit stressful, then I get extremely stressed and/or anxious. The 'middle ground' is almost impossible to find. A lot of the time, I'm thinking: 'This is ridiculous, there's no reason to feel as bad as this', but I can't control it. So, sometimes I love being highly sensitive, and sometimes I hate it.

The traits of being highly sensitive are basically described in the questionnaire. As you can see, there are advantages and disadvantages of being highly sensitive.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert