Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: The hardest piece you know?  (Read 3250 times)

Offline threepwood

• PS Silver Member
The hardest piece you know?
on: January 07, 2008, 07:11:41 PM
Okay, I know there may be a lot and you probably can't agree on one, but if you had to choose a single piece? Any piece: sonatas, etudes, concertos, preludes whatever..

I'm really looking for a challenge here and I think this is the right place to ask :P

Offline pies

• PS Silver Member

Offline mephisto

• PS Silver Member

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Re: The hardest piece you know?
Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 07:02:58 AM
Btw, it is pointless to discuss this.
Isn't it just?! - yet the sheer amount of evidence that some people will nevertheless persist in raising this and similar issues on this forum and elsewhere seems to me to be more than enough to demonstrate the extent to which some people thrive on pointless discussion.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline desordre

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 11:43:05 AM
 Dear Guybrush and all:
 Again, I must insist that the hardest piece ever written is Twinkle, twinkle little star. And please, don't suggest any begginer-early intermediate stuff such as Hammerklavier, Gaspard, Opus Clavis or something like that. Let's be serious once!  ;D
 Best wishes!
Player of what?

Offline bench warmer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 03:50:03 PM
Maybe if  the question is re-asked  to address each individual and ask "which is the hardest piece the person responding has mastered?".

Then at least things get narrowed down to personal empirical assessments and not just general meaningless random thoughts.

...and yet it seems the same answers would surface: "Twinkle,Twinkle ..." from some and "The Devil's Staircase Etude" from others.

Personally I found it a challenge to master Chopin 10.5  the alternate way using the orange and rolling it over the black keys and keeping it all even.

Offline swim4ever_22

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 07:58:06 PM
Maybe if  the question is re-asked  to address each individual and ask "which is the hardest piece the person responding has mastered?".

I think that's what he meant. For me.... Chopin's Raindrop Prelude...

I know... I'm a loser. :P

Offline bench warmer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 10:37:18 PM
...... For me.... Chopin's Raindrop Prelude...
I know... I'm a loser. :P

Even if you've been practicing/playing for many, many years and that's your asymptotic limit you shouldn't think that;  you still have achieved something.  Try what you can not quite comfortably play to keep advancing.

It takes time to develop technique at this art. The "losers" are the one that quit because it didn't come easy for them.

Offline swim4ever_22

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 11:54:37 PM
Even if you've been practicing/playing for many, many years and that's your asymptotic limit you shouldn't think that;  you still have achieved something.  Try what you can not quite comfortably play to keep advancing.

It takes time to develop technique at this art. The "losers" are the one that quit because it didn't come easy for them.

Oh, I know. It's tough when you're on your own (I'm in college and can't afford an instructor). But there are people are here playing Vers la Flamme or Gaspard de La Nuit or whatever... extremely difficult pieces that I avoid like the plague (for now), and I can just play... Prelude No. 15. :D

I'm learning Beethoven's Sonatina No. 5 in G major. It's short, simple, and I like the melody. :)

Offline threepwood

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 10:29:19 PM
The Raindrop Prelude is amazingly beautiful, one of my favorites to play... still after 6-7 years. But yes, it's easy to play. On this website it's rated level 7?
This level-system confuses me  ??? Is it just me?

desordre; nice to meet fans of old adventuregames a place like this, heh ;)

Offline desordre

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 03:14:10 PM

desordre; nice to meet fans of old adventuregames a place like this, heh ;)
Dear Guybrush:
 Yeap: my favorite was the second. How many hours did I spend solving those unlogical, bestial, non-sense yet wonderful puzzles in the game. Things like mixing a red drink to a fur with a pirate hook to make a potion...
 Very very off-topic but what others games did you use to play? Mine favorites were Fate of Atlantis and Laura Bow 2. When was that? Like twenty years ago?  ;D

Trying to get to the point again, the level system is a reference, nothing more than that. Although extremely well intentioned, the excel table up here is far unperfect. There are several discrepancies and mistakes. If you need some kind of more reliable grades, I can post the links here to different institutions as soon as I get my main PC back. Are you interested?

Best wishes!
Player of what?

Offline pianochick93

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 12:46:08 PM
The Raindrop Prelude is amazingly beautiful, one of my favorites to play... still after 6-7 years. But yes, it's easy to play. On this website it's rated level 7?

Yes, the system confused me about that as well. I was like "What, level 7, no way!"
I then figured out that level 7 this grading system equals about grade 5-6 AMEB, which is what I should be doing, but I'm starting with 4 because I havn't done exams before.

Anyways, hardest piece that I've masted would have to be...gosh, I havn't mastered very many hard pieces...Porbably either Raindrop or Fantasie in D minor by Mozart. They were ages ago though, I havn't quite masted my current pieces - Rach Prelude opus 3:2 and Ravel's Pavane Pour Une Infante Defunte.
h lp! S m b dy  st l   ll th  v w ls  fr m  my  k y b  rd!

I am an imagine of your figmentation.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert