Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: A Chopin Nocturne  (Read 3485 times)

Offline point of grace

• PS Silver Member
A Chopin Nocturne
on: January 12, 2008, 09:32:11 PM
HEY!!
NEED YOUR HELP PIANISTS!!!

i´m new on this site!

Well... i´ve never played any nocturne by Chopin, but i fell in love with the op.27 no.2, and i ask my teacher to play it (in my conservatory piano program), so he advised me to choose another nocturne before playing that one.

Which one do you think i could play?!?!

Thanks a bunch!! (and sorry for my bad expressions, i´m not an english native speaker and i find it very difficult sometimes to express myself.  ;) )
Learning:

Chopin Polonaise Op. 53
Brahms Op. 79 No. 2
Rachmaninoff Op. 16 No. 4 and 5

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
Re: A Chopin Nocturne
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 09:35:53 PM
The first nocturne (9/1 Bb minor) is beautiful and pretty manageable.

PS: your English is fine.  :)

Offline point of grace

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 09:48:23 PM
The first nocturne (9/1 Bb minor) is beautiful and pretty manageable.

PS: your English is fine.  :)

oh, thanx!! i´ll try w/that one.

any good version to recomend me?
Learning:

Chopin Polonaise Op. 53
Brahms Op. 79 No. 2

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 02:45:20 PM
op27/2 is indeed one of the hardest nocturnes (but also the most beautifull one), so it might be better to try a easier one first. You could start with op9/1, 15/3 or 72/1.
BUT the hard part of Chopin's nocturnes in general is, that they often have small parts wich are technically difficult. So they might look not that difficult, but it takes alot of technique to get them to performance level, to truelly master them.

Good luck,
gyzzzmo
1+1=11

Offline swim4ever_22

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 04:12:04 PM
9/2 is fairly simple, and one I'm sure you'll recognize. It is a bit overdone though, in my opinion.

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 06:09:23 PM
What about either the posthumous c# minor or the late e minor one?  While they pose musical difficulty to some extent, they are quite manageable technically.

Offline point of grace

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 08:18:21 PM
What about either the posthumous c# minor or the late e minor one?  While they pose musical difficulty to some extent, they are quite manageable technically.

what n. of op.????

thanx a lot
Learning:

Chopin Polonaise Op. 53
Brahms Op. 79 No. 2

Offline point of grace

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 08:18:54 PM
op27/2 is indeed one of the hardest nocturnes (but also the most beautifull one), so it might be better to try a easier one first. You could start with op9/1, 15/3 or 72/1.
BUT the hard part of Chopin's nocturnes in general is, that they often have small parts wich are technically difficult. So they might look not that difficult, but it takes alot of technique to get them to performance level, to truelly master them.

Good luck,
gyzzzmo

i know, the most beautiful one!
thanx for the advices!!! =)
Learning:

Chopin Polonaise Op. 53
Brahms Op. 79 No. 2

Offline hwangs

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 09:00:45 PM
I like Op. 15 Nr. 1 (I wanna learn it!). It might be a bit on the harder side, though..

Hmmm, yeah I think most people learn Opus 9 Nr. 1 as their first Nocturne. 9 Nr 2 is really overplayed, but beautiful nevertheless.

Definitely take a look at c#minor one, i'm not sure if it has a opus # since its posthumous; also, e-minor is not that bad, opus 72, nr. 1

Hope that helps!

Offline spaciiey

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 11:22:39 PM
I second the recommendation of op 15/3. It is fairly easy to play, and not that many people play it. It is also extremely beautiful I think.

Offline gerryjay

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 11:32:11 PM
 i'm with the general opinion: choose between opus 9 number 1 or 2. both are overplayed, but chopin is already overplayed, early 19th century music is overplayed, piano music is probably overplayed...  :P
 just stay away from opus 9/3...

btw, opus 27/2 is a wonderful piece of music. that's a cool idea for the future.

about your written english, relax: the non-natives write as they can (i include myself here) and most natives write worst yet...  ;D in the end, disregarding a misunderstanding or two, everybody comunicates.

Offline point of grace

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 07:31:44 PM
i'm with the general opinion: choose between opus 9 number 1 or 2. both are overplayed, but chopin is already overplayed, early 19th century music is overplayed, piano music is probably overplayed...  :P
 just stay away from opus 9/3...

btw, opus 27/2 is a wonderful piece of music. that's a cool idea for the future.

about your written english, relax: the non-natives write as they can (i include myself here) and most natives write worst yet...  ;D in the end, disregarding a misunderstanding or two, everybody comunicates.

LOL!!!

THANX 4 THE ADVICES!!!!!!!

yes, we can communicate!!! =P
Learning:

Chopin Polonaise Op. 53
Brahms Op. 79 No. 2

Offline swim4ever_22

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 01:57:46 AM
I second the opinion of 9.1, but there are some other simple ones (as others have previously stated), should that nocturne not suit your tastes... 9.1 is one of my favorites, as is 72.1.

Offline point of grace

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 07:45:57 PM
yah, the problem now is that my teacher told me it should not be that easy the op.9... i should be sth intermediate... and i dont know the levels of these nocturnes  ;)
Learning:

Chopin Polonaise Op. 53
Brahms Op. 79 No. 2

Offline point of grace

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 03:33:03 PM

and the winner issssssssssssss
michael!!! =P

no, i was listening to all of them and i've decided to prepare this nocturne for this year´s syllabus (everything can change though.... knowing myself...)

and after watching the film the pianist =P

but this was also a good candidate:

bye and thanks everybody!!!!!!!!!!
Learning:

Chopin Polonaise Op. 53
Brahms Op. 79 No. 2

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 06:57:23 PM
hm.  I'm not sure I'd be willing to put "levels" on the nocturnes - no doubt some are better to start with than others - 9-2 sort of "introduces" you to the way Chopin does bass parts if you haven't done  much Chopin.  Plus it's a very pretty piece!  But the others are correct - they are all difficult to make into truly beautiful music - even if the "notes" aren't that tough to pull off.  Just my 2 cents.
So much music, so little time........

Offline point of grace

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: January 23, 2008, 10:48:25 PM
hm.  I'm not sure I'd be willing to put "levels" on the nocturnes - no doubt some are better to start with than others - 9-2 sort of "introduces" you to the way Chopin does bass parts if you haven't done  much Chopin.  Plus it's a very pretty piece!  But the others are correct - they are all difficult to make into truly beautiful music - even if the "notes" aren't that tough to pull off.  Just my 2 cents.

i've listened them (op.9) all my life and i dont want to play them, at least in this moment, that´s why i was looking for some others since im not pretty good in chopin´s nocturnes matter.
thanks!
ive played many preludes from the op.28, like no.13 22 and 24.

Learning:

Chopin Polonaise Op. 53
Brahms Op. 79 No. 2

Offline arl994

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 05:04:33 PM
Op. 72 No. 1 (Nocturne in E Minor) is the easiest one that I have played, and it is also a very expressive piece. It is one I sometimes play to warm up.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert