Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Art of Piano Playing by Heinrich Neuhaus  (Read 14600 times)

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Art of Piano Playing by Heinrich Neuhaus
on: January 18, 2008, 01:59:32 PM
Dear all:

Does anyone know where I can purchase a copy of this online?  I've tried the usual places such as Amazon, Buy.com, and eBay, and am having no luck.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Best wishes,

ML

Offline Petter

• PS Silver Member
"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play an accordion, but doesn't." - Al Cohn

Offline rc

• PS Silver Member
Re: Art of Piano Playing by Heinrich Neuhaus
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 08:48:22 AM
Here's one for $46: https://www.netstoreusa.com/mubooks/187/1871082455.shtml

...I don't remember paying so much for the copy I got off Amazon :o

Offline netzow

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 06:55:10 PM
I could swear I got my copy of Amazon for something like $18.

Offline rc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 11:32:12 PM
I just remembered we can view old orders from Amazon:  I paid $28.48 (can), two years ago.

Now I see $67.27 is for a used copy, and one joker wants $199.44 for a new copy!!

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 08:12:13 AM
Is it out of print?

Offline ridr27

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 10:43:46 PM

Offline mcgillcomposer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 01:35:56 AM
Whoa!

I bought this about 3 months ago for between five and ten bucks @ a music store here in Montreal. I have an edition that was published by Dover. Try looking up Archambault, maybe you can order it from there.
Asked if he had ever conducted any Stockhausen,Sir Thomas Beecham replied, "No, but I once trod in some."

Offline sephethus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 12:11:55 PM
$55, Jeez, is this book THAT helpful? I can't seem to find it anywhere other than Amazon U.S. for that amount. UK is out of stock.

What's the deal with this book? I see it recommended as the best all over Amazon reviews, why?

Offline scottmcc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 12:50:11 PM
I've read it, and while i find it helpful, it's not earth-shattering.  If I were you, I'd go with something like "The Russian Piano School," ISBN 978187108288-3.

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 10:30:25 AM
I've read it, and while i find it helpful, it's not earth-shattering.  If I were you, I'd go with something like "The Russian Piano School," ISBN 978187108288-3.

Thanks, Scott.  I've since purchased it and find it to continuously be an inspiration, although there aren't really any memorable dicta.  I've read "The Russian Piano School" almost cover to cover, and that was equally helpful.

What's even more helpful is just to practice . . .

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 01:17:03 PM
x

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 01:22:32 PM
this might interest 0

edit

this one gives permission as long as included info in file is part of upload.

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 01:33:14 PM
x

Offline keyboardclass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: October 30, 2011, 01:34:12 PM
Jeez, I know the UK publisher of Neuhaus (in fact I was due to visit yesterday but I'm ill).  He won't be amused.

Offline scottmcc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 09:41:20 PM
indeed.  please don't publish copyrighted material.  you may not believe in intellectual property rights, but there are many who do, and many of them look at the content of sites like this and make the lives of the owners miserable if copyright violations are occurring.

Offline keyboardclass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 05:52:06 AM
The hassle is the owners of the US rights to the Neuhaus book won't re-print - they're probably some uncaring huge conglomerate.

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 10:22:45 AM
i won't leave it up indefinately, they have a tendency to shut down accounts if there's too much download traffic on them for a particular media file, especially this sort of thing,

https://www.mediafire.com/?7ds9zzhjp4y6cbh

alt link,
https://www.mediafire.com/file/7ds9zzhjp4y6cbh/Neuhaus-Art-of-Piano-PLaying.pdf

sorry i couldn't upload it here directly, it's a bit on the chunky side of the size limit by over 10 megs or so

edit. sorry guys, i didn't know, i thought that stuff only applied to sheet music, i'm normally very good about trying to follow those rules. i took it down as soon as i saw the responses, seriously, error in ignorance, i won't do it again and i'll check my sources, as these came to me via a channel that is supposed only contain public information.

You really ought to take this down.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 11:06:26 AM
I bought that one and Matthay's "Visible and Invisible" book, both hardcover, for a couple of dollars when I saw them together in a local second hand bookshop a few years ago. I enjoyed reading them very much but didn't really understand anything that proved of practical value to me. They are both exclusively restricted to written classical music and classical pianists. Other forms of piano music seemingly just did not exist for these men. Matthay's seemed the more down to earth and trying to be practical, whereas Neuhaus's has much aesthetic speculation, artistic flight of fancy, talking about his favourite pupils, players and the like.

I cannot see how even diehard classical players could actually teach themselves techniques from either of these books without assistance but then I don't like or play much classical so I am probably quite wrong.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 12:51:57 PM
You really ought to take this down.

those links went inactive before the reponse i quoted. please let me know if somehow the file is still up as i completed deleted it not just turned the link off.

again my apology, i read it some responses incorrectly (someone said it was out of print, and coupled with the fact that these were given to me by a source supposedly only using free non restricted media, i posted under incorrect presumptions. 

my bad seriously, and again those links were invalid as soon as i discovered the error and before your request to remove them. i'll edit the deal further to prevent mis-assumptions about content available on this site.

Offline keyboardclass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 05:33:25 PM
I cannot see how even diehard classical players could actually teach themselves techniques from either of these books without assistance but then I don't like or play much classical so I am probably quite wrong.
I had all the Matthay books.  They made little sense till I stumbled upon a student of his as my teacher.

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 06:18:36 PM
I had all the Matthay books.  They made little sense till I stumbled upon a student of his as my teacher.

Exactly -- they are of great assistance, but cannot substitute for a good teacher.

Offline casaet

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 11:11:11 AM
I have the Neuhaus book, but another book was mentioned here, The Russian Piano school. Looked interesting, but the price I found on Amazon, is unacceptable. Should not be difficult to find it at a reasonable price somewhere. There were three other books about Russian school piano playing on the same page, and it would be interesting if anyone has some info on those, or other useful books. Some people have an absolutely horrible understanding and practice of "Russian School", and I dont want to waste time and money.
I already have the books by Chang, Alan Fraser and Stephany Tiernan.

Offline keyboardclass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 06:56:32 PM
At £17.95 The Russian Piano School is rather expensive but worth every penny for all the Samuil Feinberg writings it contains.

Offline casaet

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 04:54:17 AM
Keyboardsclass, I was not complaining about the £17.95 price, but something that was more than three times that. The 17.95 priced was out of stock at Amazon, but I found and ordered it at Abebooks. Nice to hear that there is some really good stuff there.

Offline starlady

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 05:26:16 AM

Check out Alibris and Abebooks.  Each of them has a selection of both "Art of Piano Playing" and
"Russian Piano School'  for prices in the mid-20$ to mid-30$ range. 

--s.

Offline keyboardclass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 06:06:49 AM
Keyboardsclass, I was not complaining about the £17.95 price, but something that was more than three times that. The 17.95 priced was out of stock at Amazon, but I found and ordered it at Abebooks. Nice to hear that there is some really good stuff there.
It's in stock at Amazon UK.

Offline loops

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 11:02:43 PM
Dear all:

Does anyone know where I can purchase a copy of this online?  I've tried the usual places such as Amazon, Buy.com, and eBay, and am having no luck.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Best wishes,

ML

I have been reading it. So far, I am utterly repulsed by the fact all the "good" pupils are male and all the "bad" ones female -- one poor female puts in an extra note and is then dismissed as weak hysterical. He even makes a dig at Clara Schumann in a footnote. The bias looks to be overt.

Is it possible to learn anything from someone who goes on about the inner depths of music yet dismisses half the human race from feeling/expressing such depths?

Yuck.

Offline viridian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: November 22, 2011, 02:02:45 AM
I found several listings at abebooks.com when I typed in "Neuhaus, Heinrich" as author. This was the cheapest of the Leibovitch translations, published by Barre & Jenkins, 1973, the only edition I've seen cited in the piano literature. In the past, I've seen other listings online that were cheaper, but the translator and/or publisher were either not given or another publisher was noted. Unfortunately, there's no ISBN number printed in Barre & Jenkin's 1973 edition to help with identification. Buyer, beware!

The Art of Piano Playing. Translated by K.A.Leibovitch.
NEUHAUS, HEINRICH
Bookseller: de Friedesche molen
(Amsterdam, NH, Netherlands)

Bookseller Rating:   
Quantity Available: 1
Book Description: London, Barre & Jenkins 1973. Or.cl. w. dustwr. XIII, 240 pp. Bookseller Inventory # 24540
Price: US$ 34.83
Convert Currency
Shipping: US$ 19.62
From Netherlands to U.S.A.

Nothing is said about the condition of this book. Others, with prices up to $125.00 plus shipping are described more fully. Look at all three pages of abebook.com's listings to see more, including other languages than English and similar titles by Neuhaus.

Good luck

viridian

Offline pytheamateur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 11:26:10 PM
If you read Russian, the original version is widely available online.  I've got a word file of it if you want.

Neuhaus died more than 50 years ago, so the book is out of copyright.  For English version, however, the translation copyright may not have expired yet.

Another reason for learning Russian, apart from love for Rachmaninov :)
Beethoven - Sonata in C sharp minor, Op 27 No 12
Chopin - Fantasie Impromptu, Nocturn in C sharp minor, Op post
Brahms - Op 118, Nos 2 & 3

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: November 25, 2011, 07:59:19 PM
Is it possible to learn anything from someone who goes on about the inner depths of music yet dismisses half the human race from feeling/expressing such depths?

It is possible that Wagner's music is great, despite his vast and overt anti-semitism?

To everyone else:

This is an old thread, and I was able to procure a copy long ago through Amazon Marketplace.  Thank you for your replies.

Sincerely,
Mike

Offline loops

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: November 25, 2011, 08:46:56 PM
It is possible that Wagner's music is great, despite his vast and overt anti-semitism?

To everyone else:

This is an old thread, and I was able to procure a copy long ago through Amazon Marketplace.  Thank you for your replies.

Sincerely,
Mike

well ..... wagner wrote for his audience and if others like it, it's up to them.

And yes I can learn about mechanical things from someone steeped in prejudice, because scientific facts are what they are regardless of who says them

However to learn about expressing human emotion/soul in music from someone who fails to see humanity right in front of him unless it looks a certain way, and in a way that I don't, so I'm not in the intended audience .......

but anyway, thanks for thinking abut my post and replying  :)

Offline coffee_guy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: November 28, 2011, 05:52:05 PM
Viridian, PM sent to you...

Offline lanierlaw

Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 08:23:07 PM
I am trying to find this book for me and my teacher who studied it when she was in school in Vladivostok.  Amazon.uk and other UK stores will not ship to the US. Does anyone know who the US publisher is/ who holds the US rights? Used ones are advertised on Amazon US for hundreds of $$$.
CL from TN

Offline p2u_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 03:22:44 AM
I am trying to find this book for me and my teacher who studied it when she was in school in Vladivostok.  Amazon.uk and other UK stores will not ship to the US. Does anyone know who the US publisher is/ who holds the US rights? Used ones are advertised on Amazon US for hundreds of $$$.
CL from TN

English translation copyright is by Barrie & Jenkins Ltd, Great Britain. I don't know of any US right holders. The first English version was published in Great Britain in 1973 by Barrie & Jenkins Ltd. Then there was one edition in 1993 by Kahn & Averill. In the edition I have (printed by Halstan & Co Ltd.) it says that the book was reprinted several times in 1997, 2001, 2002, 2006, 2008, and 2010.
ISBN 1 871082 45 5
ISBN 9781 871082 45 6 (from Jan 2007).

Hope this is enough information to find it.

Paul
Account discontinued.
No more pearls before swine...

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 03:37:07 AM
You might try to get a copy through here:

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?isbn=SBN9781871082456&y=8&x=65

Prices vary a lot and the cheapest ones seem to be in the UK. In my experience, some of the smaller merchants aren't to fussed about where they ship to.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 03:43:27 AM
Mybteacher from russia said she can email me one. I have to contact her. Am drinking red juice. Remind me asap. Need to get it digitally.
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline musicprinter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: May 13, 2013, 12:01:21 PM
This popular book is available from stock in the UK. I suggest that you contact Halstan at www.halstan.co.uk

Offline musicprinter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 04:14:51 PM
This book, and a number of other important titles on piano performance and technique including The Russian Piano School, is now available from directly from the publisher - www.kahnandaverill.co.uk.

Offline rmbarbosa

Reply #39 on: May 17, 2014, 05:45:08 PM
I have this book downloaded in my ordinater, I think.
If I really have it, I may send it to you. Free of any costs of course...
You may wish to send me your mail...
Best wishes
Rui

Offline musicprinter

• PS Silver Member

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: February 17, 2016, 01:07:41 PM
This is an international list so I don't know where anybody is from.

In the US, many books like this can be acquired through "interlibrary loan."  I do this a lot.  That way I can read it before making a decision to buy.  Most of the time there is a little value but not enough to make the whole book worth it. 
Tim

Offline rmbarbosa

Reply #42 on: March 11, 2016, 08:55:53 PM
Two or three years ago, a member of Pianostreet put here a link where this book coul be downloaded free.
I had downloaded it but, after a crash in my computer, I lost it  ::)
However, you can search that link in pianostreet.
If I`m nor wrong, the post was in the students corner or in performance.
Best wishes
Rui

Offline rmbarbosa

Reply #43 on: March 11, 2016, 09:10:58 PM
You may wish to search the title art of piano playind in  the top righ corner (search)
Then, you open the second post and search by Worov.
Worov put 2 links, one with the first part aqnd the other, 2 or 3 post down, with tre second one.
Both in English.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert