Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Mozart Sonata in C  (Read 4704 times)

Offline violinist

• PS Silver Member
Mozart Sonata in C
on: January 28, 2008, 05:10:05 AM

The "simple" Mozart Sonata.  I guess this is the first movement.  It's the only one in the beginning piano book I have.
Practice!

Offline shortyshort

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mozart Sonata in C
Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 07:52:12 PM
Very nice.  ;D ;D 8) 8)
If God really exists, then why haven't I got more fingers?

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 08:34:34 PM
Well I admire your velocity, really :). But...hmmm for my taste it sounds a bit too much like a music box. I know that there is this pressure to play everything as fast as possible, but where is the soul? and the meaning? I distinctly feel drawn to a more intimate and more existential way to play music. Not as a finger exercise. Not only as "L'art pour l'art". Not only as a welcome etude to increase the speed. I hear that you *have* soul but I think (or at least imagine) that you can express your *own* soul and your most important message much more, with the stunning skills and talent you have. :)

ps soo much respect for the 3-4 trill :o  :P

Offline violinist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 06:48:12 AM
Hi Shortyshort!  Hi Pianowolfi - I remember you!

You guys are so nice to write!

I'll work on getting my soul back from the damn devil who took it away when I decided I wanted to play Paganini on the Violin....  ;)

I'm working on a slower version, and I'm working with my broken metronome (it works ok now when I tape it, so it doesn't go faster and faster with each beat!!)

I'm also working on trying to time the R.H. trill to the L.H.  Right now it's just a blast of notes.  Wait till you hear my controlled trill!!!  I've never had problems with the speed and strength of trills on violin, I guess this somehow translated to my right hand for piano.

Thanks again for the comments!!!
Practice!

Offline thalberg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 06:56:26 AM
Hi Violinist!

Remember me?  I think you and I talked about piano shopping.

Anyway, if you want a good slower version of the sonata, check out Yuja Wang.  Her version is on YouTube.  It's a bit slower and it's gorgeous.  I just love it.

However, you did a marvelous job with this sonata.  I do think it had soul--I enjoyed it very much.  Fast does not mean "without soul" in my book.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 08:59:00 AM
Hi Shortyshort!  Hi Pianowolfi - I remember you!

You guys are so nice to write!

I'll work on getting my soul back from the damn devil who took it away when I decided I wanted to play Paganini on the Violin....  ;)

lol ;D
I'm working on a slower version, and I'm working with my broken metronome (it works ok now when I tape it, so it doesn't go faster and faster with each beat!!)

Yeah i know this sort of stuff, my metronome does the same, rofl ;D hence perhaps my tendency to rush :P

I'm also working on trying to time the R.H. trill to the L.H.  Right now it's just a blast of notes.  Wait till you hear my controlled trill!!!

Omg  :o  8)

Offline Petter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 04:13:03 PM
I'll work on getting my soul back from the damn devil who took it away when I decided I wanted to play Paganini on the Violin....
Haha, I recognize that feeling so well, not specificly but in general.

And it was very nice  :) Sorry for a private question but  who´s behind the camera?  I sense some handcamera filming ambitions  :P
"A gentleman is someone who knows how to play an accordion, but doesn't." - Al Cohn

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 09:31:20 PM
It´s quite nice. Lots of energy, and I think you control the notes very well at this speed. Keep up the good work! Indeed, expresssion sometimes gets lost at this speed, but your version is cool anyway.

Just about the camera... it´s anoying how it just can´t stand still for a while. In the midle of the music it starts to rotate and stuff... subtracting the atention from the musician. Is it a kid or something?  ;D

Thanks for sharing that!

Offline violinist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 05:02:48 AM
Hi guys!  How could I ever forget Thalberg!  Thalberg, I'm jealous of that 11 year old in that recording.    She has so much control and doesn't have tempo change problems.... jealous indeed.

And for those question about who's behind the camera.  Well, I didn't have any fancy camera or tripod.  It's just a digital camera.  I don't think it records nuances of dynamics very well.  I was just testing it out by yelling at it and then talking softly and it sounded similar in dynamics... ??? not sure why that is.  It's a sony digital still camera with a memory stick (what else?).  It's my wife who's behind the camera.

No she's not kid.  She's CEO of some company  :P  Between the two of us, I'm the kid.  I read those comments about how annoying the camera was and if she was a "kid" - she got a kick out of it.  I hope she would find some time to record more of my playing, and I'm sure she'll make it even more sea sick.
Practice!

Offline piano121

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 12:21:05 PM

It's my wife who's behind the camera.
No she's not kid. She's CEO of some company :P Between the two of us, I'm the kid.

Good for you! I wish I was on your shoes, realy! :) I´m shure you guys had a good time recording this stuff. I hope my wife had time to do so. Inyway, as long as you guys are having fun, what realy maters is the music you are doing.  witch was very cool.  ...   and anyway, I´m shure you can aford a tripod, and a fancy camera at anytime  ;D . have fun!

Offline nyonyo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 04:39:18 AM
Your touch is a bit too heavy for Mozart and also too rush.
You need to relax and listen careful to what you play, do not panic.
The basic playing is good, just need to shape your playing.

Offline violinist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 02:31:30 PM
Your touch is a bit too heavy for Mozart and also too rush.
You need to relax and listen careful to what you play, do not panic.
The basic playing is good, just need to shape your playing.

Yeah...!!! I need to work on touch.  Argh.. not sure how to do this.  I've noticed that I sound so heavy when I heard this recording... I didn't feel like it was that heavy handed.  Any suggestions on how to work on touch?  Playing scales lightly?
Practice!

Offline violinist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 02:38:24 PM
Since some of you asked about vids of my violin playing... well, I scrapped together something from my computer and put this together:

<-- more pictures and my violin playing from 1993.  Video was really exotic back then (Tchaikovsky violin concerto mvt 1)

<-- Movement 3 of Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto.

Well whatever... I know this is a piano board.  I've gotten a little better on the violin since 1993, and upgraded from that student violin that I used back then...

Practice!

Offline nyonyo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 10:05:25 PM
Yeah...!!! I need to work on touch.  Argh.. not sure how to do this.  I've noticed that I sound so heavy when I heard this recording... I didn't feel like it was that heavy handed.  Any suggestions on how to work on touch?  Playing scales lightly?

I am often trapped in the same situation when I played Mozart. I thought sounds OK, but after I listened my own recording, it sounds so heavy. Fortunately, I have Disklavier, so I can record and replay right away. I just experiment the touch until it sounds light, relax and joyful. I also often rushed when I play Mozart due to the busy LH etc.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert