Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Rachmaninoff Moment Musicaux #6 fingering?  (Read 2694 times)

Offline Legato

• PS Silver Member
Rachmaninoff Moment Musicaux #6 fingering?
on: April 23, 2004, 11:09:36 PM
Does anyone play this piece?  The right hand fingering seems intuitive: I can connect the melody notes well while playing the C-E-C "noise" with 1 and 3, but the left hand fingering is not as clear.  Any thoughts?

Rob

Offline JeffL

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rachmaninoff Moment Musicaux #6 fingering?
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 03:31:42 PM
I don't play this piece but I've looked through it. Your question is not clear to me. I guess you mean by melody-notes the quavers that appear as a subsidiary-figure an octave apart between the hands rather than the real, chorale-like. melody which is fleshed-out in beefy chords in the right hand?
This being so, my edition (International Music company gives(from beat 2 in bar 1) in the right hand 2-1-1-1 and in the left 3-4-4-5. Are you worried that this doesn't produce a legato line? If so try RH 2-1-2-1 LH 3-4-3-4. Alternatively don't worry with all that noise going on; perhaps Rachmaninoff intended this figure to be hammered out, adding to the general clangour, and didn't imagine a smooth legato for this figure.

Offline Womble

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 02:19:33 PM
what edition are you using for this piece? I am trying to find an edition of the moments musicaux but with no success apart from Shirmer which i dont like

Offline JeffL

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004, 03:46:30 PM
I don't know whether the question is addressed to the original poster or myself, but, as I stated, I have the International Music Company edition edited by Isidor Philipp which I bought in London for 18 shillings (we've gone metric since then!);perhaps it is no longer available. What's wrong with the Schirmer?

Offline Legato

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 07:33:30 AM
JeffL, you are exactly right; not the "beefy" ;D chords.  i finally settled on the following fingering (decending melody beginning in measure one): 5-3-4-4-5-5 in left and 1-2-1-1-1-1 in the right.  this is the fingering i would use to play the each chord unbroken.  although i think one could make an argument for a more legato fingering, this is most intuitive for me.

i have the boosey and hawkes edition.  

rob
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert