Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: what does this great machine means to us all?  (Read 2135 times)

Offline rainmaker

• PS Silver Member
what does this great machine means to us all?
on: April 26, 2004, 11:58:24 PM
to me ''she'' is the perfect lady, the lady in black. what about you everyone? what do you colleagues think..?
rites of passage

Offline ayahav

• PS Silver Member
Re: what does this great machine mean to us all?
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 11:59:30 PM
What are you on about?

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 02:44:26 AM
ayahav, the question is about what the piano means to us.  To me, it's a tool, best friend, worst enemy, labyrynth, companion, monster, and......a piece of furniture that needs expensive maintenence.

donjuan  

Offline rlefebvr

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 03:09:49 AM
The piano I own right now is Digital and I love it for the obvious reasons people like digital pianos.
It has no soul however and thus, does not deserve a name.

Ron Lefebvre

Ron Lefebvre © Copyright. Any reproduction of all or part of this post is sheer stupidity.

Offline dj

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 06:00:05 AM
for me it is almost like a journal in that it provides a medium through which to express thoughts and emotions. it is more complex than many a mind can comprehend.....besides that, it is the world's greatest toy!!!
rach on!

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 01:17:48 PM
Let's face it.  The only difference between a piano and a woman is that one just lies there like a dead fish.  Oh wait, I just described some people's girlfriends. ;D

But really, she's high maintenance, she only moves when you press certain buttons, and she only makes sounds when you touch it.  You can open her up, close her lid, polish her up and run your fingers all the way down.  And that's just a woman.

But the main difference, one shuts up when you want it to.  That's the difference. ;)

Offline rainmaker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 05:52:22 PM
you all wrote about differences. let's think how much this thing can touch us. anyway, i believe that there is something alive in it!  ;)
   christopher
rites of passage

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 02:50:29 AM
you all wrote about differences. let's think how much this thing can touch us. anyway, i believe that there is something alive in it! and thanks for the replying ;)

It seems that pianos can touch us emotionally.  I must say my piano makes me feel like I have a social life...I spend more time with it than anything else..other than my bed.  I know it can't love me back- but I still enjoy the company.  Right now I love my piano so much, losing it would be like losing a family member.  

It is possible to feel so many various emotions while in the presence of my piano- love, Joy, anger, yearning, envy, playfulness, exhaustion, frustration, indifference...

donjuan

Offline MzrtMusic

• PS Silver Member
Re: what does this great machine means to us all?
Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 03:18:16 AM
Sometimes I feel like my piano is out to get me... Then there are times when I feel it is my one and only true friend, the only thing that understands what I think and feel, and the only thing that will respond. It allows me to worship God in such an amazing and personal way. It expresses every feeling I've ever known, and some that I can't put a name with. The pinnacles of joy and the depths of despair, it's all there in those strings and pieces of wood and metal.

Love,

Sarah
My heart is full of many things...there are moments when I feel that speech is nothing after all.
-- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Offline DarkWind

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 07:10:32 AM
you all wrote about differences. let's think how much this thing can touch us. anyway, i believe that there is something alive in it! and thanks for the replying ;)

We are the ones touching it... in the keys, that is... ;). Anyways, I think I mainly can relate to everything being said here. Sadly my piano is that of a digital nature, so I'm trying to get a real acoustic piano, which can be much more "natural." I think the piano is one of my greatest friends ever, never ignorant, shares my interests, accepts the soft piannissimos and thunderous fortissimos, never worrying, a companion with you always. :)

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 07:34:02 AM

We are the ones touching it... in the keys, that is... ;). Anyways, I think I mainly can relate to everything being said here. Sadly my piano is that of a digital nature, so I'm trying to get a real acoustic piano, which can be much more "natural." I think the piano is one of my greatest friends ever, never ignorant, shares my interests, accepts the soft piannissimos and thunderous fortissimos, never worrying, a companion with you always. :)

Hi DarkWind,
You only have a digital piano?  It must be quite the machine to keep you satisfied...playing lots of Liszt and Raval on it...

I also have a digital (Roland FP-3)- It can't repeat notes quickly, pedal the same, or reach the same range as a grand piano...So I'm happy I also have a Grand.  How do you get by with a digital alone?  Maybe you can help me be happier with mine.

donjuan  

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 02:57:09 PM
my piano (i think it's a he) is what drives me insane and keeps me sane so it's a bit of a love/hate relationship, but more love, how can i not love it? i think anyone who doesn't play an instrument is really missing out
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy

Offline Jemmers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 28, 2004, 04:32:34 PM
My piano... is my aid to expression, my entry into the sonic world, and the best destressing partner. When I'm angry or sad... I go up to it and smack chords.

Offline DarkWind

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: April 28, 2004, 10:58:14 PM

Hi DarkWind,
You only have a digital piano?  It must be quite the machine to keep you satisfied...playing lots of Liszt and Raval on it...

I also have a digital (Roland FP-3)- It can't repeat notes quickly, pedal the same, or reach the same range as a grand piano...So I'm happy I also have a Grand.  How do you get by with a digital alone?  Maybe you can help me be happier with mine.

donjuan  

Well, I'm just used to it I guess. Although, I've been trying to get my parents to move the upright I barely have time to use to be moved into my room to replace the digital one. I use the upright on several occasions, though its not really extremely good. I'm on a quest to save up enough money to buy this beautiful Steinway upright piano. Although it costs $10,000, my Dad made a deal with me in which I would only have to pay for half of it :).

Offline rainmaker

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004, 12:04:10 AM
  your thoughts i believe are all very interesting. :)
  she never talks indeed, but i am sure she smiles and grieve by the conditions..!
 i must say that it is so special to feel something so unique about such a unique thing. you feel different from other people. :)
   aljon christopher
rites of passage

Offline comme_le_vent

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: May 07, 2004, 02:25:00 AM
You do not know that to speak of giving up my piano would be to me a day of gloom, robbing me of the light which illuminated all my early life, and has grown to beinseparable from it.

My piano is to me what his vessel is to the sailor, his horse to the Arab, nay even more, till now it has been myself, my speech, my life. It is the repository of all that stirred my nature in the passionate days of my youth.  I confided to it all my desires, my dreams, my joys, and my sorrows.  Its strings vibrated to my emotions, and its keys obeyed my every caprice.  Would you have me abandon it and strive for the more brilliant and resounding triumphs of the theatre or orchestra?  Oh, no!  Even were I competent for music of that kind, my resolution would be firm not to abandon the study and development of piano playing, until I had accomplished whatever is practicable, whatever it is possible to attain nowadays.

Perhaps the mysterious influence which binds me to it so strongly prejudices me, but I consider the piano to be of great consequence.  In my estimation it holds the first place in the hierarchy of instruments…In the compass of its seven octaves it includes the entire scope of the orchestra, and the ten fingers suffice for the harmony which is produced by an ensemble of a hundred players…
https://www.chopinmusic.net/sdc/

Great artists aim for perfection, while knowing that perfection itself is impossible, it is the driving force for them to be the best they can be - MC Hammer

Offline comme_le_vent

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: May 07, 2004, 02:28:18 AM
if you arent moved by the above post, you need to go out and buy a new heart.

thats what i call passion for piano!  :'( beautifully put too...

the piano - we love you  :)
https://www.chopinmusic.net/sdc/

Great artists aim for perfection, while knowing that perfection itself is impossible, it is the driving force for them to be the best they can be - MC Hammer

Offline belvoce

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: May 11, 2004, 07:09:29 PM
Being somewhat of an introvert who prefers the company of just myself rather than other people, I find that when I can't find the words to describe something I'm feeling because there all in my head, I just have to think about them as I play my piano, and the piano knows exactly how to help me say them. It's like it can read my mind. (I'm not sure if it is a she or he yet!) ;D

It sometimes can have an attitude, too. And it makes for having a very interesting companion.

Spatula

Reply #18 on: May 29, 2004, 07:52:38 AM
OOOH !

AND WAIT TILL YOU SEE THIS ONE:

She won't get jealous if you have 2 fine ladies, I mean pianos!  not like the human counterparts....  ;), or three....this could be a piano orgy, I mean fest, yeah bring out the trios!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert