Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Best love song?  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Jemmers

• PS Silver Member
Best love song?
on: April 28, 2004, 04:04:12 PM
Which in your opinion is the best love song in the entire repertoire? And state in which way! (passionate, romantic, beautiful, dreamy... etc etc)

Also, does anyone have the sheet music to Widmung/Liebeslied? I'd SO like to have it...

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Best love song?
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 01:56:51 AM
When you say "song", you are refering to singing right?  If so, I would say Liszt's original song transcription of Sonetto 104 del Petrarca (before the piano version) because it has one of the sweetest of melody lines ever written.
donjuan

Offline Jemmers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2004, 12:34:26 PM
When I say "song" in this case I mean piece. Unfortunately "love piece" sounds... bizarre.

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 02:12:08 AM
ooohhh, ok- well, In the classic film "Brief Encounter", Rachmaninoff's Second Piano Concerto is used throughout.  I remember the film being one of the  most brilliant, most touching love films of all time.  For this reason, I have to vote for Rach 2.  I would say Liszt's Liebestraum No. 3, but it is overplayed, and the charm is lost over time.

donjuan

ps- sorry, I don't have the sheet music for Widmung/Liebeslied.  Maybe you could buy it somewhere.  In my part of the world (Canada), sheet music stores are limited on great classical sheet music, so I go to www.amazon.com (or .ca) or www.sheetmusicplus.net
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert