Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: wich beethoven sonata..  (Read 2277 times)

Offline arthur

wich beethoven sonata..
on: March 29, 2008, 03:14:28 PM
.. should I play?

I am currently studying Brahms Op.10 Nº3(almost finishing) and Mozart's k330, I've finished bach's prelude and fugue in g major from wtc1. oh and I play just a few difficult parts of chopin's op. 31 and the first (and half of the second) page of his first ballade

I was thinking, it could be the pathetique or moonlight, I want to play something difficult (not veery difficult) 
I also red the score of the 110, it's not very hard, right?

thanks!

PD: I'm 15 years old and I want to give my first recital soon, in november or next year's march

Offline arthur

Re: wich beethoven sonata..
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 07:28:14 PM
I am hesitating now, this shouldn't be in repertoire?

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 07:51:11 PM
Don't do 110, it's very difficult, stay away from the later ones. You can try one of the op. 14's, maybe op. 10/2?

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 07:54:16 PM
Yes, or op. 10/1. Or why not op. 54, this is very underplayed, it has only 2 mvts. and it's very beautiful. op. 79 would be an option too.

Offline arthur

Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 09:15:17 PM
I've already played op 54 number 1 and 2 and op 79 two years ago, sorry about not mentioning it :p

btw, I have the 32 piano sonatas recorded by Claudio Arrau, the other day I've listened and red the score of the 3 sonatas op. 31, they aren't very difficult right? except nº2 maybe..

what about op 22? it's not 'overplayed' and it's very beautyfull (they all are :p)

consider that I want to play a more advanced piece, i'm also studying audio perceptive and musical analysis so it's easier to understand the scores and play weird rhythms

it's a fact (and a problem, at least in this sitouations) that everything that's well played sounds easier.. :p

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 09:23:07 PM
Perhaps op. 90 then? I love this one. It's on the edge between "middle" and "late" period. or, as you say op. 31, perhaps no 3?

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 03:26:46 PM
I've already played op 54 number 1 and 2 and op 79 two years ago, sorry about not mentioning it :p

btw, I have the 32 piano sonatas recorded by Claudio Arrau, the other day I've listened and red the score of the 3 sonatas op. 31, they aren't very difficult right? except nº2 maybe..

what about op 22? it's not 'overplayed' and it's very beautyfull (they all are :p)

consider that I want to play a more advanced piece, i'm also studying audio perceptive and musical analysis so it's easier to understand the scores and play weird rhythms

it's a fact (and a problem, at least in this sitouations) that everything that's well played sounds easier.. :p

31 no.2 is the easiest of the 3. I would begin there if I were you. Why not one from the op.2 ? They're great! If not maybe op.27 no.1, but that's a bit hard. There are allways op.26 and op.28, those are AMAZING, but they are hard too.

Offline arthur

Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 01:33:00 AM
the tempest is the easiest?!

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 02:13:12 AM
the tempest is the easiest?!

Well of op.31. Not of all sonatas haha.

Offline arthur

Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 02:46:36 PM
:P
I thought it was the hardest

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 06:58:20 PM
:P
I thought it was the hardest

I think no.1 and 3 are by far harder on most aspects ... no.2 would be the shortest to learn also.

Offline amanfang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 04, 2008, 12:10:54 AM
I disagree.  I think Op. 31 no. 2 is hardest of the three.  Sure there are aspects of each that are harder than the others, but in general the middle one is hardest, in my opinion.  Just because the Tempest is played more often does not make it easier.
When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 10:19:37 PM
Just because the Tempest is played more often does not make it easier.

It has nothing to do with how often they are played. I tried out all three, and I found the tempest to be by far the simplest of the three, technically, structurically and musically. It's pretty straigth forward, and technically I guess it depends on your strengths/weaknesses, but I didn't found more technically demanding stuff in it than in the other two.

Offline popdog

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 08:00:45 AM
Op. 2 nos.1 or 3.

I reckon the op.2 sonatas are pretty underrated.  If you wanted to opt for an early sonata, these are nothing to sneeze at.  A different breed from his late works but still overlooked IMO.

popdog.

Offline arthur

Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 04:50:54 PM
thanks a lot, I think I'm going to start (in a couple of weeks, I want to finish the whole mozart sonata first) with op 31n2 and op2 n3.

I think that difficulty is a very personal thing, I mean, we all have different kind of techniques, hands, pianos, ways of studying, etc..

thanks again!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert