Piano Forum

Topic: large resolution monitors  (Read 1812 times)

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
large resolution monitors
on: April 05, 2008, 05:47:59 AM
Is it possible to provide an alternate website template for large resolutions?  In such cases the text portion is squeezed down the centre. Using the browser magnify function makes text bigger, but the page is further elongated.  Nils, can you make use of the extra side space for those who have such monitors?
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline pianochick93

• PS Silver Member
Re: large resolution monitors
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 07:53:56 AM
That's a good point. At my dad's house we have a 22" monitor, and at mums we have a normal 17" or something like that. The change over takes getting used to.
h lp! S m b dy  st l   ll th  v w ls  fr m  my  k y b  rd!

I am an imagine of your figmentation.

Offline nilsjohan

• Administrator
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 01:34:22 PM
The width of the pages is fixed for readability reasons.
As far as I know most people find it easier to quickly read or scan through texts when the line width and line height is within certain limits.

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly but are you suggesting that the text should fill up the full width of the screen?

I use a 24" widescreen monitor myself when working and when visiting websites such as wikipedia.org or forum sites with "liquid design" (the text flows to fill up the browser window horizontally) I always have to scale down the browser window in order to get a more approrpiate column width since it is very difficult to read texts with 40-50 words per line.

Do you have any examples of websites which you think are using a good solution for this problem?

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 02:21:21 PM
Nils, I see your point in having narrower width as having really long lines of text.  However with the advances in monitor technology a lot of the new ones being sold today are of huge sizes and resolution.  Concurrently there are also people still using CRT's of 17" and 19". 

There is also an issue of text size on the newer monitors with large resolutions.  Often web page text appears so tiny as payoff to such large resolutions.  Such text would show up absolutely fine on smaller screens. 

For example, I obtained a new laptop with a 14.1" screen and a resolution of 1400x1050, and the PS website looks squished when I maximize the browser window. 

Yes I guess I am asking if it is possible to have an optional "liquid layout" or something which uses a wider width to make more use of the space on newer monitors.   It could be a setting which one could opt to change the CSS template if one has such a monitor.

I shall try to search out some website examples.

I have attached a screen cap of how PS looks on my 14.1" screen
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert