Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Nocturne in E minor Op 72 (video) Stage Recital  (Read 4089 times)

Offline totallyclassics

• PS Silver Member
This is by far one of my favorite pieces......I have been playing it off and on for the last 2 years of my 4 years in piano!   It is very special to me for many reasons, and Chopin is one of my favorite composers!  I LOVE the romantic period.....

Please critique openly and honestly.......I will start by saying this is only my 3rd recital, and that this is the first recital I decided to perform 4 pieces in......a mistake!  I am not mature enough in my musical focus for my level of playing to successfully pull of a 4 piece recital!!   However, having said this, I am not disappointed that I tried it, just disappointed that it didn't work out as planned!!     My pieces, especially this one came out a bit rushed, and the breaths between phrases were at best,..... weak..... I learned that unplanned things happen when we get on stage!   The natural subtleties that I  so easily emote and that occur in the safety of my living room, didn't occur on stage!  My goal is to get the two closer together!! 

I hope you enjoy, please feel free to comment.... ;D

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Nocturne in E minor Op 72 (video) Stage Recital
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 07:29:05 AM
Maybe its the edition you used, but i heard quite alot of mistakes in especially the left hand, and some in the right, at places wich arent technically that hard.
I think you should have a look that, because its quite a pity since the rest of your performance sounded great :)

I'll made a list so you can check it at home (maybe its your edition after all?)
00.25 (left hand)
01.09 (left hand)
01.31 (left hand)
02.32 (right hand)
02.53 (too early right hand)
03.10 (left hand)

For the rest i liked it alot, especially if you only play for only 4 years!

keep on the good work,
gyzzzmo
1+1=11

Offline ganymed

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 10:18:35 PM
Very nice video. I think for 4 years of playing this is very good.
I was very moved by the description of your video and how you described the importance of music in your life.

"We can never know what to want, because, living only one life, we can neither compare it with our previous lives nor perfect it in our lives to come."

Milan Kundera,The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Offline totallyclassics

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 04:15:22 AM
 ;D
Ganymed,  Thanks so much for understanding... and thanks for your compliment.....

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 08:29:32 AM
Hi Totally,

I enjoyed your performance of this Nocturne very much.  I just recently discovered this gem.  Keep the music coming.  :)

For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline keyb0ardfweak

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 10:19:08 AM
Hi!

You've played the nocturne nicely, but I think that you've gone too slow..
cuz I have a recording of this song and it's a lil bit faster than yours..

Although, everyone has its own interpretation and I liked yours, it really sound like a "nocturne".

I can't even play this one so yeah..you're better than me=P
I just busy with other things that I can't learn more pieces..=S

anyway, I hope I get to learn this one soon!cuz it's also one of my favorites^^

keep it up! ;D
“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.” Henry Ford
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert