Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Nocturne in Db, Chopin  (Read 4427 times)

Offline matterintospirit

• PS Silver Member
Nocturne in Db, Chopin
on: June 10, 2008, 08:08:01 PM
a work in progress---
"Music is the pen of the soul"

Offline nick

• PS Silver Member
Re: Nocturne in Db, Chopin
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 12:52:13 AM
Nice work, clean, technically proficient and musical. The one thing I would watch for is the heavy thumb in left hand. I don't know if it was because of poor sound quality, and I don't have piano in front of me, but as left hand plays low d flat, then comes up I think to an f, the f is too pronounced in my opinion. I kept hearing a louder f I think. But other than that and and maybe a little more rubato here and there, great!

Nick

Offline matterintospirit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 01:07:09 AM
Thanks Nick. You are right. I find this piece to be extemely challenging in so many ways, from a sheerly musical point of view. One of the many difficulties is the control in the left hand. Requires the most deep sense of relaxation---foreign to my personality! But really. this is one of the problems that I am working on. There are others, such as all those phrases in thirds. They sometimes are not delicate enough and lack shape. I'm not the most "Copinesque" fella around---that's why I'm working at it---I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Online lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 02:59:39 AM
Fantastic beautiful great, I always have a soft spot for Chopin's Nocturnes. The LH thumb isn't distasteful in my opinion and essential, those long bass notes I always feel should be drawn through. Some quick patterns in the RH need to become slightly lighter (although I can hear the RH has had a lot of sensitivity practice). That is the biggest challenge I feel for you here the RH lightness, the LH is fine and dandy. I really like how your melody fits together with your LH its not always together and boring, there is options you are taking which makes the playing sound "nicer" in my opinion. I find people muck around with the LH too much, where it is the LH that should be quite strict and the RH with the rubato.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline matterintospirit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 11:10:01 AM
Fantastic beautiful great, I always have a soft spot for Chopin's Nocturnes. The LH thumb isn't distasteful in my opinion and essential, those long bass notes I always feel should be drawn through. Some quick patterns in the RH need to become slightly lighter (although I can hear the RH has had a lot of sensitivity practice). That is the biggest challenge I feel for you here the RH lightness, the LH is fine and dandy. I really like how your melody fits together with your LH its not always together and boring, there is options you are taking which makes the playing sound "nicer" in my opinion. I find people muck around with the LH too much, where it is the LH that should be quite strict and the RH with the rubato.

Thanks for the feedback Wonder. Upon listening to the recording a second time, that F doesn't bother me either--it's the top of the phrase, it works, and no matter how lightly you play it, it's going to pop because of the extreme contrast in register (the very first phrase in particular.) It's some of the other "landings" in the LH that bug me.  Funny you should mention the thing about the rubato. I've been working on this piece for some time and recorded it for the first time a few days ago. I was actually apalled. I thought ---maybe I should 'sack' this piece--it's really "stinko." There was so much rubato that it sounded like a car that might stall any minute. The RH sounded more like Scriabin (well not quite)--the "whole"was not working. That's one reason I find recording oneself so useful. At least for myself, I can stand back and here the most general (and particular) problems that I can't hear when I'm playing. I went back to the piece with the new information, played the LH more in strict time, lightened the RH, put more concentration on each and every note, and now I feel there's hope! Not sure about the "delicasy" issue yet, but I do think some of the "thirds" phrases need a bit more shape and are sometime a little rushed. Just don't know what to do with some of them Don't know if I want to be more delicate, need to be or can be. Anyways, I'm glad you liked it!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert