Piano Forum

Chopin and His Europe - Warsaw Invites the World
Celebrating its 20th anniversary the festival “Chopin and His Europe” included the thematic title “And the Rest of the World”, featuring world-renowned pianists and international and national top ensembles and orchestras. As usual the event explored Chopin's music through diverse perspectives, spanning four centuries of repertoire. Piano Street presents a selection of concerts videos including an interview with the festival’s founder, Chopin Institute’s Stanislaw Leszczynski. Read more >>

Topic: Rachmaninoff Concertos  (Read 5543 times)

Offline chozartmaninoff

• PS Silver Member
Rachmaninoff Concertos
on: July 15, 2008, 09:02:25 PM
Does anyone know of a UK company that sell orchestral backing Tracks, Mainly of the Rachmaninoff Piano concert 1 in F# Minor Number 2 in C minor and no.3 in D minor

Thanks

Mike

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rachmaninoff Concertos
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 09:12:34 PM
I have used music minus one myself. Don't know if it is a UK company, but they are widely available from UK outlets.

I can see that the 2nd concerto is available, not sure about 1 or 3.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline dnephi

Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 09:26:39 PM
I'm sure you will play these magnificently, especially since they're your first concertos.
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)

Offline chozartmaninoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 09:29:12 PM
I have used music minus one myself. Don't know if it is a UK company, but they are widely available from UK outlets.

I can see that the 2nd concerto is available, not sure about 1 or 3.

Thal

Is there anywhere thats isnt $40 or £20 per track???

Thanks for your reply thal

Mike

Offline chozartmaninoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 09:33:43 PM
I'm sure you will play these magnificently, especially since they're your first concertos.

Sarcasm?

Offline dnephi

Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 09:39:26 PM
Yea.  I don't know how many times people have joined this forum and started posting about the Rachmaninoff concerti, and the vast majority of them are people who haven't had formal training or who have been playing for a few months to a year.  I assumed that you were one of such.  If not, I apologize.
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)

Offline chozartmaninoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 09:45:18 PM
Yea.  I don't know how many times people have joined this forum and started posting about the Rachmaninoff concerti, and the vast majority of them are people who haven't had formal training or who have been playing for a few months to a year.  I assumed that you were one of such.  If not, I apologize.

I accept your applolgie. I have been playing for about 18 years, just never though of playing a concerto, Im a grade 8 pianist, and 6 theory. Pieces i have performed on stage are "La campanella" "Liszt Unsospiro" Chopin etudes, Scriabin etudes etc etc.

Next time dont just assume things, Its quite rude to do so and shows a lack of personality (Well a good one anyway) Im sure your a nice person, But really dont judge people when you know nothing of them, simply ask a question, For example - "The Rach concerto's are hard pieces both musically and technically, how long have you been playing?" or somthing less insulting.

But like i said, no hard feelings appologie accepted.

Mike

Offline chozartmaninoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 09:47:13 PM
I accept your applolgie.

Please ignore the spelling mistake its late for me :)

Mike

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 10:06:27 PM
Im a grade 8 pianist, and 6 theory. Pieces i have performed on stage are "La campanella" "Liszt Unsospiro" Chopin etudes, Scriabin etudes etc etc.

You think that makes you ready for the rachmaninoff concerti ?  ??? They're not only 10 times longer and 10 times more complicated, but they are also 10 times harder than what you played. You're not ready for a rachmaninoff concerto if you're still in the grade system ...

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 10:30:50 PM
You think that makes you ready for the rachmaninoff concerti ? 

The poor man has not even said he is going to play the bloody things and has not made a claim that he can do so.

Why all the crap??

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 10:32:26 PM
Is there anywhere thats isnt $40 or £20 per track???

I doubt it, they is not cheap.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 10:38:53 PM
The poor man has not even said he is going to play the bloody things and has not made a claim that he can do so.

Why all the crap??

Thal

Do you not see the evidence?

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 11:02:26 PM
Do you not see the evidence?

I appear to have missed it old chap.

But does it really matter if he is going to try to play somthing that he might not be ready for, just for the sheer fun of it?

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline mephisto

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 11:25:12 PM
You think that makes you ready for the rachmaninoff concerti ?  ??? They're not only 10 times longer and 10 times more complicated, but they are also 10 times harder than what you played. You're not ready for a rachmaninoff concerto if you're still in the grade system ...

STOP BEING RUDE!

Offline mikey6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 12:57:33 AM
ok, you're saying that the Rach concertos which are played by virtually every renowned pianist are more 10 TIMES more difficult than the Liszt etudes regarded as some of the hardest in the entire repertoire and the Chopin etudes which renowned pianists have mentioned they are afraid of playing in concert???
Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them.
Richard Strauss

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 06:50:03 PM
ok, you're saying that the Rach concertos which are played by virtually every renowned pianist are more 10 TIMES more difficult than the Liszt etudes regarded as some of the hardest in the entire repertoire and the Chopin etudes which renowned pianists have mentioned they are afraid of playing in concert???

The level of difficulty of a piece for a student and the difficulty of a piece for an accomplished performing artist are two different things. For a student, a grade 8 one that is, rachmaninoff's concertos are way way way ahead of la campanella and chopin etudes.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 08:15:09 PM
For a student, a grade 8 one that is, rachmaninoff's concertos are way way way ahead of la campanella and chopin etudes.

Undoubtedly, but that should not prevent anyone from having a go and enjoying doing so.

Regretfully, we are not all as gifted as you and some of us amateur 3rd rate hacks approach works that we have no chance of playing but revel in the challenge.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline dnephi

Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 08:17:04 PM
The level of difficulty of a piece for a student and the difficulty of a piece for an accomplished performing artist are two different things. For a student, a grade 8 one that is, rachmaninoff's concertos are way way way ahead of la campanella and chopin etudes.
I disagree.  I'm sure that the Chopin Etudes are harder to put together, bar per bar, although the only issue with Rachmaninoff becomes the sheer stamina.

Offline rob47

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 08:52:17 PM
didn't richard_black just write "Aha! The Oracle farts again!" or something?

why was this hilarious comment deleted
"Phenomenon 1 is me"
-Alexis Weissenberg

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 09:12:27 PM
Undoubtedly, but that should not prevent anyone from having a go and enjoying doing so.

Regretfully, we are not all as gifted as you and some of us amateur 3rd rate hacks approach works that we have no chance of playing but revel in the challenge.

Thal

Hey there, I remind you that I didn't reply to the original post. I reacted to his argumentation with dnephi : he tried to say he was ready to play them well, and backed himself with the pieces he had allready performed. I only said that his "accomplishments" were far from being of the level of the rachmaninoff concerti. I was only reacting to his argument, not to his desire of playing them.

Offline dnephi

Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 09:14:40 PM
Hey there, I remind you that I didn't reply to the original post. I reacted to his argumentation with dnephi : he tried to say he was ready to play them well, and backed himself with the pieces he had allready performed. I only said that his "accomplishments" were far from being of the level of the rachmaninoff concerti. I was only reacting to his argument, not to his desire of playing them.
Actually, that was sarcastic, making fun of the stereotypical people who say "I've played Fur Elise, can I play Rach 3??"

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 09:31:43 PM
he tried to say he was ready to play them well

I cannot see this.

Is it in another thread?

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 10:08:01 PM
I cannot see this.

Is it in another thread?

Thal

Dnephi told him he would not be able to play them well. He tried to prove him wrong. Does that make not trying to prove he could play them well ?

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 10:15:45 PM
Actually, that was sarcastic, making fun of the stereotypical people who say "I've played Fur Elise, can I play Rach 3??"

Haha yeah, I was aware of that.

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 11:10:01 PM
leave chozart alone. i am going to learn rach 6. flame me :-* :-*
dignity, love and joy.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 11:12:43 PM
He tried to prove him wrong. Does that make not trying to prove he could play them well ?

No, it don't.

He just advised what he could do.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline dnephi

Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 11:25:36 PM
I wud pay u money to do that. 

Off-topic, I've heard the 2nd symphony transcribed into a concerto.

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: July 16, 2008, 11:26:37 PM
No, it don't.

He just advised what he could do.

Thal

In response to dnephi. You understand in the second paragraph of his post that he wanted to prove him wrong.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: July 16, 2008, 11:31:02 PM
Next time dont just assume things, Its quite rude to do so and shows a lack of personality (Well a good one anyway) Im sure your a nice person, But really dont judge people when you know nothing of them, simply ask a question, For example - "The Rach concerto's are hard pieces both musically and technically, how long have you been playing?" or somthing less insulting.

You mean this paragraph?
Curator/Director

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: July 16, 2008, 11:43:37 PM
You mean this paragraph?

Yes, obviously.

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: July 16, 2008, 11:51:54 PM
I wud pay u money to do that. 

yeah but maaaybe tis 2 ezy for me. his 2nd symphony that gets transcribed for solo piano perhaps feels riter 8) 8)
dignity, love and joy.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: July 17, 2008, 02:42:55 PM
Yes, obviously.

So where was he trying to prove him wrong?
Curator/Director

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: July 17, 2008, 03:18:34 PM
So where was he trying to prove him wrong?

"Next time, don't just assume things." That means what he assumed wasn't right in his case. What did he assume? That he couldn't play them well. Not everything has to be written literally.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: July 17, 2008, 03:23:07 PM
"Next time, don't just assume things." That means what he assumed wasn't right in his case. What did he assume? That he couldn't play them well. Not everything has to be written literally.

You are assuming that is what he meant.

Only the person who wrote that would know. You don't.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline mephisto

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: July 17, 2008, 04:24:58 PM
Chopin, Liszt and Scriabin etudes are in many ways much more difficult than Rachmaninov's 1st piano concerto.

And if they weren't anyone who wants to try his hands at Rachmaninov should just do that.

Offline cherub_rocker1979

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: July 17, 2008, 05:09:24 PM
I accept your applolgie. I have been playing for about 18 years, just never though of playing a concerto, Im a grade 8 pianist, and 6 theory. Pieces i have performed on stage are "La campanella" "Liszt Unsospiro" Chopin etudes, Scriabin etudes etc etc.

But like i said, no hard feelings appologie accepted.

Mike

Well, the Rachmaninoff concerti are well above Grade 8 level so good luck.

Offline cherub_rocker1979

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: July 17, 2008, 05:12:51 PM
I will say that the original version of the Rach 1 is substantially less technically demanding than the revised version, which is the one that is commonly played.

Offline chozartmaninoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: July 18, 2008, 08:47:48 PM

You cannot judge ones playing without hearing it. You dont know what i am ready for and what i am not. Maybe i cannot play it maybe i can but i will give it a damn good try afterall piano is about fun and not strict rules that all must obide by.

Offline chozartmaninoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: July 18, 2008, 08:52:10 PM

Thal

Spot on thal !!!!

It doesnt matter what level the pianist is - Besides i do know how difficult they are. But you can never not play a piece just because a few people think you shouldnt, Piano is about fun and enjoyment and if you cant learn a piece then you cant but that shouldnt stop you

Mike

Offline chozartmaninoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: July 18, 2008, 08:56:47 PM

I did not say i was "ready" to play them, i simply made the point that someone who does not know someone else should not ever tell someone they cannot!!!! I believe i am ready to have a try at the piece yes, but no where did i mention i would prevail. Even if my attemp was only 20% of what it should be it wud be my 20% to be proud of. An if you wanted to make a point, they are taken in much more when you are not rude about it. A simple "maybe your not ready" or somthing would have done just fine

Piano is fun, and if you take it seriouly then more fool you.....I belive somthing that is a pleasure should be treated as one.

Good old saying - Nothing nice to say - DONT SAY IT .....unless asked for

Mike

Offline chozartmaninoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: July 18, 2008, 08:58:02 PM

You have been FLAMED!!! hehe :)

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: July 18, 2008, 09:01:47 PM
I never said you weren't ready to play it. I said that your past accomplishment were far from being good enough to make you ready to play the rach concertos. Did I say I believed you listed all your accomplishments? Not at all. I just said that by the ones you listed, that proves nothing. People who couldn't touch the rach concertos did the same things. That's the only thing I said. If you're ready or not, only your teacher knows ... I hope you have one if you are attempting those monsters. Good luck.

Offline chozartmaninoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: July 18, 2008, 09:06:03 PM
I never said you weren't ready to play it. I said that your past accomplishment were far from being good enough to make you ready to play the rach concertos. Did I say I believed you listed all your accomplishments? Not at all. I just said that by the ones you listed, that proves nothing. People who couldn't touch the rach concertos did the same things. That's the only thing I said. If you're ready or not, only your teacher knows ... I hope you have one if you are attempting those monsters. Good luck.

Yes i understand what you were trying to say !!! but it was the way u said it Very Rude, Pushy and mostly arrgoant........No where at all did i say i was ready to play or even if i could......The guy said to me something like he was sick of people who had been playing 6 months to a year saying the were going to play - I then told him i had not been playing that time i have been playin 18 years and listed the pieces that i have played to basically say i am not a beginner trying to play big pieces. I know how hard the concertos are believe me. But its about having fun, enjoying life and suprising even yourself. Now i dont know where u got that i was trying to prove i could play them, maybe u ready far beyond the lines.

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: July 19, 2008, 03:57:17 AM
You have been FLAMED!!! hehe :)
like gentle kisses
dignity, love and joy.

Offline chozartmaninoff

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: July 19, 2008, 01:00:39 PM
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert