Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Favorite memories  (Read 2659 times)

Offline RhiAnne

• PS Silver Member
Favorite memories
on: October 22, 2002, 09:29:17 PM
Guys,

I began this topic in another forum and have begun to get some response to it.  I wanted to share this with you guys after hearing what you have to say and getting to know you a little better.

In your career as musicians, teachers, students, ect, what is your favorite memory dealing with piano? Could be a great lesson, a wonderful piece, the finishing of levels, or some story. These would be interesting.

Mine would be the first time I ever got to play on the grand piano. Mrs. Jalene Young taught me at this time. She had two pianos in her living room studio. One was the upright, and the other a beatiful black grand piano. Up to this point in time, I had all my lessons on the upright. I had really worked hard on Fur Elise, and memorized it within a week. I played it for her at the lesson. [Up to this point, I had repeatedly asked, can I play the grand. To which she would reply, I will know when you are ready for it, not until then.] That day, I had a bad day at school. I had gotten my name on the board with two check marks [for talking in class, my my some things never change.] and was in deep trouble. I played Fur Elise, and she said, Anne, I would like to hear that on the grand piano. My what freedom. For the next 45 minutes, I seemed to be in heaven. I instantly forgot where I was, and it seemed all that there was the music. I will never forget that experience. It was then, I realized I wanted to go into music. Took me a rather long time, to actually head down that road. But for that moment, the dream of Carnegie Hall which had always been a dream, became one more step of becoming a reality.

Another fond memory I had, is the McGuire familiy constantly went to Washington D.C. or Virginia to visit some relaives. Since New York was not much out of the way, we would spend a week up there for vacations. Well, my junior year in high school we went on a tour of Carnegie Hall. The piano was out that day, and I asked if I could play on it. I was allowed to. A hush descended over the hall, with a smirk, I began with the tentative notes of Chopsticks. I then improved and got more and more advanced. I then played the concerto which I was working on for my senior concert, the Grieg Concerto in a-minor. The feeling of being on that stage, where so many great people have been on, just floored me. I was amazed. Carnegie Hall is great. On that day, I wanted more than ever to have a debut concert in Carnegie Hall. The trip back to Virginia was not good, as I got griped at, yet my the McGuire's thought it was very good. I am perhaps the only nonconformist who can say they played Chopsticks in Carnegie Hall.  

Hee hee hee. Well this has been a long post, so I will say have a great day and see you later.

Bye.

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Re: Favorite memories
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2002, 08:34:37 AM
Chopsticks!  That's good.  I'd love to meet you .  We'd be killer duet partners!

My "moment" was really a summer.  Interlochen.  Best summer I ever spent, but that's also where I realized I didn't have what it took to be a concert pianist.  So as wonderful as it was, and as much fun as I had, I was a little sad when I came home.
So much music, so little time........

Offline RhiAnne

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 31, 2002, 06:41:56 PM
DinosaurTales,

I would really love to play chopsticks at my real debut.  I have always wanted to play chopsticks in Carnegie Hall.  I am looking for an advanced version of the piece.  If not, I can always come up with variations for it.

Interlochen, wow.  My professor went or taught there, I am not sure which.

Well have a great day.

Offline MzrtMusic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 31, 2002, 11:52:55 PM
RhiAnne,

I know that there is a more advanced "Chopsticks" duet out there that I've played with some of my friends... It's called "C.S. Theme and Variations" Op. 6 by R. Compton. I don't  know how appropriate it would be, but it's loads of fun!!!

Love,

Sarah

P.S. I don't really know if I have a "Favorite" memory... there are just too many of them!
My heart is full of many things...there are moments when I feel that speech is nothing after all.
-- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Offline RhiAnne

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 01, 2002, 06:42:43 AM
Sarah,

I shall look into that version of chopsticks, that does sound fun.

Okay, as to listing your favorite memories, I did not mean your all time favorite.  Go ahead and start listing.  I shall list another memory tomorrow.  I would like the topic to be an ongoing thing.

I will see you later and have a nice day.

Offline ned

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2002, 04:37:55 PM
Hi Chopsticks fans!
In his excellent book The Literature of the Piano, Ernest Hutcheson mentions under Cesar Cui a piece called Paraphrases by Borodin, Cui, Liadov, Rimsky-Korsakov, on the Chopsticks theme suggested by a little girl. "The composers took up the theme...lavishing incredible skill and humor on their task. You should know the piece for it is a marvel of talent and resourcefullness."
I have never seen it. A good university library could probably help find it.
Ned

Offline selsa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 01, 2002, 08:24:08 PM
What is chopsticks? I mean other than a pair of slender sticks held between thumb and fingers and used chiefly in oriental countries to lift food to the mouth.

-Selsa
"...the luckiest man I know." - Arthur Rubinstein about himself.

Offline RhiAnne

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 02, 2002, 06:32:44 AM
Ned,

I shall certainly look into this piece.  The TTU library should have it.

Selsa, Chopsticks is one those pieces that mostly everyone if familiar with.  Should go check out the music, it does not take one long to learn this piece.

;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert