Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Ignaz Friedman  (Read 3640 times)

Offline pianoloverus

• PS Silver Member
Ignaz Friedman
on: December 18, 2001, 07:16:35 AM
Has anyone heard any of his recordings? I just got his volume in Great Pianists of the 20th Century series from the Lincoln Center Library and found it fascinating although somewhat of a mixed bag. I best liked his Liszt/Busoni/Friedman La Campanella, the Mendelssohn Songs without Words and E minor Scherzo, Chopin Nocturne Op. 55, but only liked some of the Chopin Mazurkas and some of the Chopin Etudes. I liked least his Chopin Berceuse which is played so fast it sounds like an etude and where he often plays the left hand louder than the right! I also did not care for his A-flat Ballade too much.
I also got the Julius Katchen volume in the Great Pianists series. I found it uniformly sensational. His Islamey and Brahms Hungarian Dances were amazing both technically and musically. His Brahms Sonata No.3 and Frank Prelude, Chorale, and Fugue were ravishing!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline groucho

• PS Silver Member
Re: Ignaz Friedman
Reply #1 on: December 19, 2001, 02:23:46 AM
You really must listen to him performing his own compositions - particularly his Elle Danse No.5 and his Viennese Dances. It's some of the best playing I've ever heard. Pearl have a set with his complete solo recordings that should be in every pianophiles collection. What he does with the mazurka rhythm is amazing, and uncopyable. Also, his performance of the 3rd Ballade is my favourite. But each to his own! But do try to listen to those pieces, there the kind of performances that make you laugh. Like Horowitz doing his transcriptions but better.

I definitely rank him alongside Hofmann and Rachmaninov. (I do agree with you about the Berceuse though.)

For Balakirev's Islamey try Barere's live version. Now that's really something.
I specialize in the universe and all that surrounds it. I don't branch out much beyond that. [Peter Cook.]

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Ignaz Friedman
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2003, 11:17:28 PM
Julius Katchen, like William Kappel and Dinu Lipati, died too young, and the music world has been poorer for his and their loss.  Fortunately, Katchen left behind a good discography.  His Brahms Paganini Variations are absolutely stupendous.
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert