Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: somebody always has to spend that last bit of money  (Read 1760 times)

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
somebody always has to spend that last bit of money
on: August 24, 2008, 11:51:22 PM
ok.  i confess. i did it today.  i was going to the mall just to help my daughter get some jeans and a couple shirts - but i splurged.  i got my six year old's hair cut and mine too.  then, i come home and hubby is mad.  mad that i spent the last bit of money in the account.  now what do i do?  get mad back at him. i know it's not christian and all - but i tell him he should hold off on a few haircuts. 

how does one not fight over money?  i feel guilty and pleasured at the same time.  what is wrong here?

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Re: somebody always has to spend that last bit of money
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 01:23:44 AM
Tell him he needs to get off his rear end and do some work.  Both out of the house and in the house.  He can contribute a little too.

Report back to us.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 02:14:30 AM
thanks, bob.  somehow i needed that - although i know i'm really the one to blame.  i suppose i could have waited a few days until payday.  women are terrible, really, sometimes. i put the blame all back on him and then acted mad for two hours - when all along i knew it was my problem and something i shouldn't have done.  it was just - too tempting.  never go to the mall without money to burn.

he's really a hard worker.  i'm probably the one that does work that doesn't really get remunerated.  i like doing yard work and all - and he has allergies - so i don't care!  i like to be in the sun - he doesn't.  typically, it all works out.

we have about three times a year that we get really cold shouldered and tell each other off.  i say 'i'm leaving (or something about a vacation) and then he say s 'oh, good. when are you leaving or when will you return?  sometimes he says 'too bad you don't have much money.'  that always makes me madder.  once, i packed a suitcase right in front of him and carried it to the front door.  it makes me feel like a teenager.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 03:15:44 AM
Would you let him go for a shopping splurge as a kind of compensation?
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline db05

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 04:16:23 AM
Ma'am pianistimo! You're back! I missed you. *huuuuuuugssssss*

I'm surprised and sorry to hear that. You apologized already?
I'm sinking like a stone in the sea,
I'm burning like a bridge for your body

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 08:12:50 AM
I would hardly call getting your hair cut splurged, unless you had extensions and a perm and eventually both of you would need it doing anyway.

Throughout history, men have earned and women have spent, so he must be used to it by now.

Ever thought of taking in a lodger (for a few days in November) ???

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 10:04:56 AM
ok. to answer all your questions - yes!  i do let him splurge.  he always does it 'the right way' and waits until payday.  and, it's his money anyways - most of the time.  i can't exactly tell him - 'don't buy another book until i look at the price.'  does he buy paperback?  mostly - but occasionally $75. hardback books.  i don't typically complain.

i usually buy his clothes.  he doesn't care what he wears as long as he doesn't have to wear ties anymore.  i bought him a tie for a trip to paris and he accused me of attempted murder.  i was somewhat astounded at the accusation as it was a 'fine' looking tie.

db05, you are sweet.  i am back because someone kindly paid my account.  i think it was thal.  he likes to fight with me.  but lately, he has been brain damaged and has been treating me really nice.  i think what happened is he used to weight lift - and from all the brain injury - suddenly went from huge surges of testosterone to large spikes in dopamine.  i thought of him tonight while watching some show on weightlifters and the brain.  how some develop really thick skulls and that is how they actually avoid brain injury.

thal - yes, i am talking about you.  ok.  come and visit.  i'll get into trouble - but i'll make sure and cover myself in terms of telling my husband first.  'my friend on piano street is coming to visit.  is it alright.'  then, he'll say 'no' - 'get the heck rid of him - you don't know him from an ax murderer.'  then, i'll say - well, actually i think he IS an ax murderer.'

then, thal and i will go to phoenisville brewery and i can see for myself how much he can take without passing out.  the latest glamour magazine (which i read in the beauty salon) says that english men are irresistable to american women because of several differences.  i'd say that is partly true - although i am married and am trying my best to be non-chalant.  however, i shall be amazed if the pitcher goes down and he is still coherent.  then, i shall take him to a concert and see if he can recognize any of the pieces.

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 10:11:39 AM
ok.  to be really christian about this - i'd have to say the same as i did with piano-wolfi.  can't go out on an evening date - have to find one for yourself.  there's lots of pennsylvania dutch girls here.  ok.  we'll go out in day and afternoon - the pennsylvania dutch girls at night.

hair extensions?  what for?  as i see it - too long of hair is dangerous.  if it gets caught in an escalator - you'd have to have a pair of scissors inthe back pocket.  perms - ok.  sometimes.  they actually cause damage to the hair.  it's like paying someone to mess up your hair.  no...i prefer 'ala natural.'  what i like to spend money on is music.  and food sometimes.  you know a nice restaurant and/or concert.  i'm not high maintenance  - only sometimes.

forgot to say - yes, i did apologize.  he said he still loved me - whilst glaring through his glasses. i said i loved him too and then proceeded to secretly disconnect the cpap machine.  let's see how well he breathes tonight.  (just kidding)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 11:35:44 AM
Tell him you did it for him.  Then he won't be as mad.  :)

Offline db05

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 01:00:34 PM
db05, you are sweet.  i am back because someone kindly paid my account.  i think it was thal.  he likes to fight with me.  but lately, he has been brain damaged and has been treating me really nice.

Isn't it a free account? I don't see gold stars.

I'm no American, but I think Sir Thal is hot.  :-X

Hey, I'm single.  :P

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 01:59:39 PM
oh. yes.  i forgot.  it's a free account.  then, how come i couldn't log on one day?  oh well, no matter. it was probably my computer. 

bob, i like your idea.  'i did it for you....'  that's a good one.  (i do, actually - but he never seems to notice.  it's like 'hmm. something is different about you - but i don't know what it is).

db05 - you are too young.  i'm afraid for you.  is this normal behavior.  someone on here mentioned oedipus.  what is it when a younger man wants a much older woman?  i think it's just that you're trying to compliment me - which is nice.  of course, i am, in real life- very hot.  almost on par with carmen electra.  but i don't tell anyone.

Offline db05

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 03:30:29 PM
db05 - you are too young.  i'm afraid for you.  is this normal behavior.  someone on here mentioned oedipus.  what is it when a younger man wants a much older woman?  i think it's just that you're trying to compliment me - which is nice.  of course, i am, in real life- very hot.  almost on par with carmen electra.  but i don't tell anyone.

You just said it, LOL. ;D

Oedipus? Not exactly. More like authority figures. I had a crush on a CAT officer, then my senior in college, then a teacher, then a dean.

Is this normal? No, but it's better than before... Not gonna tell you...

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 04:20:28 PM
you think an older christian woman is better than a CAT officer ?  (btw, what exactly is that?) i have this image of the woman who plays the driving school instructor who makes a deal with the students that if they buy a ticket to the officer's ball - then they get out of a full boring day of doing time for a ticket.

did you say 'DEAN?'  you stepped into the office and somehow transfixed her even when she was looking down and saying 'uh huh.' 

well, anything is possible if you plan it right.  some people meet in the dark.  things look better that way.  but, again - i'm not THAT bad looking.  it's just that - well, i'm married.  alistair likes it that way.  i think thal does too. that's why they flirt with me.  they know i won't go stalking them.  thal can give you a better idea from his cell camera when he comes in november.  i think he is just trying to get my hopes up like last time.   

everyone has crushes.  you ahve to start determining if they are really the people you want for a piano teacher.  i'm just a so-so piano teacher compared to my teacher (who is/was really hot).  he has a baby now - so i think the hotness level decreases from 10 to 5.  he's probably lost a few more hairs.  sleepless nights.  endless worries.  no time.  eating fast.  sometimes you end up eating so fast - you forget what you just ate.

Offline db05

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 04:31:01 PM
CAT is the Citizen Army Training required in high school. It's like ROTC.

I think you misunderstood me. I don't like older christian women. I like Sir Thal. I like "Sirs". Like "Sir, yes, sir!" or "Thank you, sir!"

Yeah... I'm weird like that...

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 04:35:19 PM
i see.

our teaching styles are probably much different.  after all, his teacher was a quack.  (just kidding). seriously, though, do you want to learn from the best.  thal is coming over here in november so he can take lessons (*let's see if that makes him mad?)  i plan to whip him into shape.

possibly we will record a duel.  he will play thalberg and i will play liszt.  i suppose i should start working on something.

Offline db05

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 04:45:52 PM
i see.  did i get your gender correct?  you are a 19 year old male? or did something go awry on that supposition.  ok.  as i see it - sir thal is pretty much the equivalent of a retired army general.  he could sort of order you around and just hope for the best. 

LOL, Ma'am. I am a girl. And generals are hot in my book.
I'd stick with the teachers I have here, at least until I graduate this course. Seriously though, I can study in the states. Would be really nice to find a teacher from here.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 05:52:53 PM
You can always cry too.  That's a free ticket, but a dirty trick too.  There's no way a man would keep arguing then. 

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 06:46:03 PM
dear db05 - sorry!  i have been off and on the site and lately haven't been able to see personal profile as my account is just the basic one.  i was guessing wrong - and hadn't checked your previous messages if there were any indicating gender.  i should have known the dean was a man.  they typically are.  even though a woman would make a fine dean, too.

maybe i'm wrong about general. he doesn't strike me as someone who's basic instinct is to tell people what to do.  in fact, i think he's shy.  sort of.  but, just strong.  inside.  he's not afraid to tell people what he thinks and can back it up with force if necessary.  and, he likes adventure.  yes.  there are a lot of things to like about thal.  finding difficult to find music.  that's an art.

i'm still working on a library card for the central library of philly which calls itself a 'free library.'  it's actually only free for people in philly.  so much for free stuff!

i'm sure bob is my uncle.  don't let what he says fool you.  all that matlock stuff. he's busy preparing for the next year of school and rarely has time to take a drink of water.  he acts casual and non-chalant but works like a dog.  that's why his students love him.  and he's not the kind of teacher that stresses them out -unless they are really bad.  that's my impression of bob, my uncle.

you mean, bob, cry when the teacher says 'no, i won't take you for a student.'  that would be most humiliating if they just looked at you while you were crying and then finally turned away and said something like 'what a loser.'  ok.  this is what you do.  you take lessons from their student - and you just wait your turn.  everyone has to wait their turn.  sometimes it's just buttering them up.  as they pass you in the hallway - oh, you're my favorite teacher here.  (titter within earshot with girlfriends - he's so hot.  i think he drinks coffee to cool off).

Offline db05

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 07:00:27 PM
LOL, you're making me like Sir Thal even more. This has to stop!! I love my dean. He DOES drink coffee to cool off. That's no good, either. This has to stop!!  >:(

i'm still working on a library card for the central library of philly which calls itself a 'free library.'  it's actually only free for people in philly.  so much for free stuff!

That's one good thing about America. Free libraries. I'd have to try to get into a university here again, just to have access to boooooooks. *wishful thinking*

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 08:11:01 PM
well, actually i think he IS an ax murderer.'

I deny that, it was a hatchet.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 08:12:24 PM
then, thal and i will go to phoenisville brewery and i can see for myself how much he can take without passing out.   

2.5 gallons in one day.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 08:15:56 PM
ok.  to be really christian about this - i'd have to say the same as i did with piano-wolfi.  can't go out on an evening date - have to find one for yourself. 

For pities sake women I am not after your body. I prefer a younger woman, not a mother of 10 who has been round the mill a few times.

That cheese eating, cuckoo clock collecting Swiss gigolo might have fancied you, BUT I DON'T.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 08:17:09 PM
That's one good thing about America. Free libraries.

You obviosuly aint tried the document delivery service at the NYPL.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 08:19:55 PM
i suppose i should start working on something.

Yes, your will.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 09:10:16 PM
why?  what about my will?  am i going to die?

pianowolfi is NOT a gigalo.  he doesn't even know the meaning of the word.  the piano is his true love.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 09:21:18 PM
Thanks pianistimo. Yes I'm Swiss, yes I eat cheese. ;D But no I don't collect cuckoo clocks. what the heck is a gigalo or gigolo? sounds like an Italian Tenor ;D

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 10:23:41 PM
thal is jealous.  i don't know of what.  i'm just wondering.  niobe.  liszt.  it's all coming together.  sort of.  there is conspiracy going on here.

well, anyways - thal, how's the diet coming along.  if you don't lose a little bit - you're going to have to buy two airline tickets or row over. 

Offline db05

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: August 26, 2008, 05:09:08 AM
You obviosuly aint tried the document delivery service at the NYPL.

Thal

What's that? On the other hand, I don't mind paying a price, as long as the useful info is there. Here it is hard to find decent piano books of any kind.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: August 26, 2008, 11:22:04 AM
What's that?

New York Public Library copy service.

Not Free.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline concerto_love

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: August 26, 2008, 12:00:09 PM
I c I c I c  :)
when dignity, love, and joy meet...

OMG, it's spa time!!! ;D

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: August 26, 2008, 05:18:10 PM
if you don't lose a little bit - you're going to have to buy two airline tickets or row over. 

Might come in October and get the boat.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: August 26, 2008, 05:49:43 PM
that's nice.  really.  hope that you do make it.  all in one piece.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert