Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Bartok etudes  (Read 2227 times)

Offline pla635

• PS Silver Member
Bartok etudes
on: August 26, 2008, 11:44:03 PM
I am wondering if anyone has played these supposedly monstrously difficult pieces.  I have read through them and they seem difficult but not impossible.  For those who have played it, which is the most difficult of the three?  Any advice or particularily tough spots I should begin work on first?

Any help would be great--I don't want to spend hours learning them only to find out that they are impossible in tempo!

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bartok etudes
Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 04:29:45 AM
I played them about 7 years ago. The physically demanding 1st etude was by far the hardest for me, but I have small hands...it may be a different story for more compatible hands. With diligent attention, they are not at all impossible, but are great, great pieces, extremely worthy of performance, written at a peak in his expressive output with The Miraculous Mandarin, Sonata for Two Pianos and Percussion, and the 1st Violin Sonata (which I think actually presents much more difficulty then the etudes!). Oh, advice? Memorize and brand them into your mind at a very slow tempo, especially number 3. Good luck!
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert