Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: I need help with La Campanella too  (Read 2322 times)

Offline kantsuiex

• PS Silver Member
I need help with La Campanella too
on: September 06, 2008, 03:49:08 PM
https://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=EuUpcWVmAGM
It is the recording before 2 months.
I am now refining it..
Please give harsh comments as I want to make a great progress on this piece:)
Thank you guys:)

Offline healdie

• PS Silver Member
Re: I need help with La Campanella too
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 04:58:11 PM
firstly i cannot play this piece bu from a listeners point of view i would say you started the piece off too quickly (of course this is subjective) but because of this speed it did cause you to hit some wrong notes along the way and apart from the trills which you made a mistake, and the ending too me sounds a bit too choppy
but nothing too major,

i did not like the sound of the piano (although this could be the recording but either is nothing to do with your playing) i think overall the piece could be more even you do you speed up and slow down in certain places and more dynamic contrast please
"Talent is hitting a target no one else can hit, Genius is hitting a target no one else can see"

A. Schopenhauer

Florestan

Offline eric_wong1387

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 10:50:46 PM
I have not played this piece for a long time, but you're doing well with it so far.

Some suggestions:
Many parts may sound alot cleaner if you slow down a bit.   It doesn't happen too often but I do feel you might be pushing yourself a bit at some places.  Look at Yundi Li's performances of this work - I like the tempo he picked for most of the sections.

The right hand part from 1:40-1:46 sounds like its missing some notes.   If I'm remembering this piece correctly (forgive me if I'm wrong), the passages' basic pattern has a note that is repeated once, followed by the same note an octave higher (fingered 1-2-5).  I can't seem to hear the repeated notes here.

The chromatic runs (around 2:12 to 2:40) sound off....
might want to check over it a bit.  I don't have the time to check a score right now, but the timing of some of the left hand chords do not sound correct.   The trill at the very end of the run (around 2:37), I noticed at first you split it between the two hands which seemed to make the passage lose its momentum.   If I remember correctly, when I played this I used my right hand only for the trill as soon as it starts.

For that final segment from 3:20 onwards to the end - this was the part that gave me the most trouble too.  I see you have alot of random wrong notes here, try some slow practice to clean it up as much as you can.  From 4:22 on especially, there are alot of distracting wrong notes there - again my advice is to practice it slowly first.

I could probably explain in more detail if I were playing this myself at the moment, but I'm only speaking from memory, so hopefully I've helped.

Good luck with this piece, I think it is within your reach.   Just don't rush it beyond whats comfortable for you and you'll be able to give a very good amateur rendition of it.

Offline xpjamiexd

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 03:01:53 PM
Okay I myself cannot play this piece but from listening I think (I don't mean this in an insulting way) that this reminds me too much in the style of Evgeny Kissin when I think, as has been said, you should listen to Yundi Li's interpretation as I think if you played it a little slower it would sound much nicer.

I have to say though you atr a fantastic pianist :D

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 10:38:10 PM
It's awfully approximate. You are missing notes out all over the place (for instance in the very opening few bars you miss the ends of a couple of phrases) and some of the turns are barely there. It's not really possible to say anything about your tone quality because the sound quality of the recording is absolutely awful, but it seems rather boring too. It's no good just being able to sort-of play the notes in a piece like that: if you're going to make anything of it you have to be completely on top of the notes so you can do the cheeky humour too.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline eric_wong1387

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 09:52:02 PM
With all due respect richard, I think you might be stating it a little too harshly.

It's true that alot of polish is still needed, but I personally think as a work-in-progress this is far more correctable than the other La Campanella discussion that has been going on in this forum.

Like I said, slow practice will help.
And I also realized....the fingering that the topic creator is using for that long chromatic run thats split between two hands in the middle (it looks like you're poking with one finger in each hand) is not very good for speed.

Use your second and third fingers in each hand, thats the fingering suggested by my print copy of the score.   From what I can see, you can get much more velocity out of it that way.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 06:30:28 AM
You have some sort of basis there to work with although I am sure some teachers wouldn't be bothered to patch it all up. Your forearm tends to not maintain its parallel to the ground and it is almost as if you are sitting too low to your piano, maybe that's the angle of the camera, your LH seems to like being crab try to flatten it out more then you won't have to play so much inside the piano in places. Overall it seemed like everything was on the same level as if you are only trying to hit the notes and ignore expression.

Work on on your phrases and I am sure you will improve this. This reminds me of students of mine who try to do things which they really enjoy but is quite difficult for them. I love helping them sort out their problems, there is a great deal that you have to work on, but you have done a lot of work already you are at least half way there :)
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert