Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: ??? regarding Abbreviations....  (Read 2324 times)

Shagdac

??? regarding Abbreviations....
on: May 23, 2004, 01:23:04 PM
On a Mozart Sonata where it has "Close SchlS", what is this referring to? At the top of the piece it has a list of Abbreviations showing Close= Theme, but the SchlS =
Seitensatz. I don't know what this is. Is this a term meaning a certain part of this piece (as the other abbr. are referring to Principal them, secondary theme, etc.) Or is this an abbreviation to something regarding HOW it is to be played? Anyone ever see this?

Thanks much,
S :)

Offline faulty_damper

• PS Silver Member
Re: ??? regarding Abbreviations....
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 03:27:52 PM
Which sonata?

Sometimes, composers write out the structure of their sonatas, like Beethoven, at the very beginning.  It lets the person know which section they are playing.  You are probably right about themes (principle, secondary, transitional, etc.).  I doubt it means HOW it is to be played as they are not instructional markings.  Since it says that "close" means 'theme, then from induced logic, "schlS" is also the same but meaning Seitensatz.  Google up the German word Seitensatz and you'll have the answer.

Don't bother googling "german word seitensatz".  You won't get anywhere.  I have no idea if that is a real word.  The german-english dictionary doesn't have an entry for it.  But I'm sure you're right.  And I'm also sure you'll never use this word in conversation.  So why bother?  Have a joint instead! ;D

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 04:32:36 PM
On a Mozart Sonata where it has "Close SchlS", what is this referring to? At the top of the piece it has a list of Abbreviations showing Close= Theme, but the SchlS =
Seitensatz. I don't know what this is. Is this a term meaning a certain part of this piece (as the other abbr. are referring to Principal them, secondary theme, etc.) Or is this an abbreviation to something regarding HOW it is to be played? Anyone ever see this?

It probably means

Schluss-Satz = coda.

Does it make sense in this particular sonata?

[Satz is a general (German) musical term that can mean several things depending on what it is attached to. e.g. "movement" (Quartettsatz - movement of a quartet); setting of a composition (Tonsatz), theme or subject (Hauptsatz - first subject, or main theme); texture; style].

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Shagdac

Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 05:35:45 AM
The Sonata is No.15 K545 (Allegro) by Mozart.

At the top of the schore it reads as follows:

Abbreviations: P.T.,Principal Theam;S.T.,Secondary Theme;Close;D.,Development; Coda; M.T., Middle Theme.

(Duh...does it just say the same thing in another language)?

In between the treble and bass staff lines in the 3rd measure before the first repeat it is written, Close and directly underneath SchlS.

Looking at it now, is SchlS the same as Close, just different language? Guess I haven't really seen these before. So other than the abbreviations written thruout the piece by "coda", it's not so much telling you How to play, but the different parts?

Thank you,
S :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert