Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Breaking a String  (Read 1993 times)

Offline EthanT

• PS Silver Member
Breaking a String
on: May 25, 2004, 08:35:11 PM
Heheheh this happened during a competition, I was playing 3 peices of Liszt. La Campanella, Hungarian Rhapsody #6, and Mazeppa.

My La Campanella was fairly well... but then when i reached the part with the octaves in Hung #6, I shattered one of the bass notes (I dont remember which one, who would?) that i hit alot. When i mean "breaking" a string, i mean it sounded like a grenade expoding inside the piano! Worst of all, I still had another big peice to play.

After my Hungarian Rhapsody (Which fell pretty much apart after the string thing) The jury told me to go ahead and play the last one... Some guy came and cut out the string i had oblitterated.

and the Mazeppa was ehh... could have been better.

When i got my critiques, it said something like:

La Campanella: "Lovely playing, you have clean trills blah blah ect.

Hungarian Rhapsody: "Nice! Try not to make the Fortes like FFF! And try to stay close to the keys in the left hand to prevent WHACKING the keys. ECT

Mazeppa: Good!This needs a little more power too it! I can hardly hear the melody during poignant moments of the peice.

Hmm i cant imagine why?!
Heh i just thought this was some funny experience to post up here!

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Breaking a String
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 01:03:03 AM
You perform La Campanella, Hungarian Rhapsody 6, and mazeppa--one after another?  Your hands must have been jello by the end... :P
did you get an intermission between?

I performed Liszt's "Fountains of the Villa d'Este", Followed by the Tarantella, and by the end of Tarentella, I was so tired, the heavy chords near the end turned into atonal banging..

I cant imagine having to perform THREE highly demanding works in quick succession..
donjuan

Offline EthanT

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 10:19:45 PM
yeah thats what everyone tells me.. but when you practice them alot, there are techniques that you can do so that you do not have to use as much energy in it... And with enough practice, it comes really effortlessly

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 01:18:33 AM
yeah thats what everyone tells me.. but when you practice them alot, there are techniques that you can do so that you do not have to use as much energy in it... And with enough practice, it comes really effortlessly

Really?  im intrigued.  can you elaborate?

Offline anda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 04:16:36 PM
My La Campanella was fairly well... but then when i reached the part with the octaves in Hung #6, I shattered one of the bass notes (I dont remember which one, who would?) that i hit alot. When i mean "breaking" a string, i mean it sounded like a grenade expoding inside the piano!

this only happens if you"hit" the piano - and that's not a good idea of playing fff... (i should know, i broke my share of strings in time :))

some years ago, in a competition, the pianist playing right before me did the same thing - and then i had to wait about 30 min till the piano tuner replaced the string, and the string being new, sounded different (in sound, not in pitch) from all others and i had to take extra-care on how to approach that note... i don't suppose the pianist playing after you was too grateful :)

Offline edouard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 10:27:12 PM
Well, Anda, I broke a string playing piano (no not the instrument, but the nuance) and i think that the piano i was using was bad and the string was 'just about to break'. Luckily this was during practise, because i don't know what a reaction i might have playing live! Maybe the person playing before me was angry or something! I really shocks me when people set about 'banging' the piano, maybe they're made a wood and metal, but trust me they have a soul :)
I have a DVD of Berezovsky who breaks a string playing the 10th liszt etude. It always provides some unexpected side attraction!

By the way, and completely off topic: i wish to thank all people of piano forum whom i have talked to and exchanged great tips and stuff. I had my graduation recital just this afternoon and i went very well; so a big thankyou to y'all, i really mean it :)

-edouard

Offline EthanT

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 01:50:46 AM
ok! here is how i conserve energy to play these 3 massive songs..

--La campanella - Ok having a big hand helps... mine is huge. And practicing this song, builds in flexibility of the hand. I just have had this song for so long that it comes effortlessly really.

--Hungarian Rhap 6- Ok the song doesnt require too much energy until you hit the allegro melody with the octaves... Very simple technique, is to play with the wrist, not the arm... and exchange where you're using force so that one part of the arm/wrist/ect. isnt being used the whole time... that is what causes the fatigue.

Mazeppa- ok...... i have no tips on this song, it is simply hell that cannot be prevented. (suck it up)

Offline EthanT

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004, 01:51:34 AM
AHRGHGR!!! I USED THE WORD SONG!! AHHHH!! kill me now!!  :-X

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 29, 2004, 03:17:39 AM
bang bang, youre dead  ;D

Spatula

Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 07:21:22 AM
what's the word song?  ::)

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: June 04, 2004, 07:43:06 AM
"Song" is a work of music meant to be SUNG by a human voice.  I have seen you use the word SONG to describe PIECES of music NOT sung by a HUMAN voice.
also, check your spelling of "piece".  I have also seen you spell it "peice".  How can you expect people to take you seriously on the forum if your language is so distracting? unless ignorance is the image you are trying to give off..
donjuan
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert