Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin: scherzo or barcarole?  (Read 4941 times)

Offline icilkovich

• PS Silver Member
Chopin: scherzo or barcarole?
on: October 31, 2008, 12:42:34 PM
between one of Chopin scherzo (especially no. 4) or Chopin barcarole, which one do you think is more interesting? which one is easier to cope with or which one is more challenging?

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin: scherzo or barcarole?
Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 12:57:53 PM
I can only speak from listening - but the Chopin Bacarolle that i heard on the radio the other day had an elusive quality of pianissimo playing that you might find entrancing and somewhat more difficult to play in terms of controlling dynamics.  I've always thought the Scherzos were very difficult with connecting passages and general technique.  Maybe you should consider playing one of each:  prelude, waltz, etude, polonaise, scherzo, bacarolle, fantasie-polonaise, fugue - just to get an all Chopin program going.  It's sometimes disappointing to me to hear other composers mushed around Chopin.  He is an island to himself - unless combined with John Field and/or a bit of Bach at the beginning and some poetry reading in the middle and at the end (possibly his favorite poet Mycki -sp?).

Another idea which i've never seen yet myself - is to have a singer between several of the pieces and singing a few of Chopin's 'songs.'  I don't think I've ever heard the seven songs which he composed for Maria (the girl he wanted to marry at the end of his life - but couldn't because she was too young and he was too sick).

Offline soderlund

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 02:30:41 PM
I think, although I may be wrong, that the fourth scherzo is a lot harder. My teacher tells me that we might play the barcarolle this spring, but I would not touch the fourth scherzo with a twenty foot pole.
I would be glad to hear I was wrong, but if you are insecure I would definitely go with the barcarolle.

Offline chopinmozart7

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 07:50:12 PM
scherzo ;D ;D ;D
If the immortals had written music for all eternity, we would not have remembered their music.

Offline icilkovich

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 01:15:59 PM
i heard about the killing double third trill in barcarolle. that's what i think as big technical challenge. what about in scherzo no. 4?

Offline chopinmozart7

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 05:28:46 PM
scherzo  8) 8) 8)
If the immortals had written music for all eternity, we would not have remembered their music.

Offline eric_wong1387

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 09:50:14 PM
I have not played any of the scherzi but have played the Barcarolle.

The Barcarolle is a musically demanding work, but I find that in terms of technical challenge it is probably not as demanding as most of the scherzi.  No. 4 in particular has always appeared to be the toughest of the scherzi for me from listening/looking at the score.

The double third trills in the Barcarolle, if I'm remembering correctly, only appear in four bars of the entire piece.   While playing them smoothly and quickly is a challenge nonetheless, they're a bit too short to really be considered a "killer" obstacle in the piece.  If you practice the upper voice and the lower voice separately at first, it should eventually come together.

Offline communist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 01:18:42 PM
Barcarole or how about another one of those miserable ballades
"The stock markets go up and down, Bach only goes up"

-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 02:47:04 PM
i heard about the killing double third trill in barcarolle. that's what i think as big technical challenge. what about in scherzo no. 4?
Kind of everything. You have to be very imaginative. Since the theme comes like 2 billion times, you have to play if differently almost every time.
Uhm... There's also some really fast arpeggio-like things, which are very difficult.. and so on... The scherzo is way more difficult than the Barcarole

Offline tanman

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 12:24:05 PM
me prefers the barcarole.
Remember, imitation is the sincerest form of identity theft.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert