Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven Sonata 17,The Tempest,Mov III  (Read 8730 times)

Offline yw1935

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven Sonata 17,The Tempest,Mov III
on: January 11, 2009, 03:16:24 PM
This is my audition repertoire,welcome any professional or non-professional comment snd advice.

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven Sonata 17,The Tempest,Mov III
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 05:32:28 PM
I think this was actually much better than the Mendelssohn fantasy. But, the comments that would have to be done would be along the same line, but with less intensity. Keep up the good work, you just need to practice more on musical imagination right now. I'd suggest you listen a lot to the greats and see what you can learn trough their playing. It should never be an imitation tough, everything is just an idea/a valid way to see things wich is never perfectly your own way.

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 06:58:32 PM
Since you obviously not really read the commets (if you did, you would understand that you should play easier pieces, to understand the music more), I will only leave this one.

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 07:28:48 PM
Since you obviously not really read the commets (if you did, you would understand that you should play easier pieces, to understand the music more), I will only leave this one.

Seriously, "you should play easier pieces" is not constructive advice. theirry is being much more helpful. I don't think she's older than 10; give her a break! I think it's good that she enjoys playing challenging pieces; that way she'll have time to grow into them. If all pianists waited to be experienced before playing difficult music, they would never become experienced! Also, I will go out on a limb and say that if she weren't Asian, comments would be much kinder.

Rachel - I think you're doing a good job so far. I agree with theirry that it could use more imagination. Since the rhythms are so repetitive, it is easy for the listener to get lulled into boredom. 
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.

Offline yw1935

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 02:55:48 AM
Thanks for Kelly-Kelly's encouragement.Thank pianisten,too.I hear you,but I don't think this piece hard for her.Of course,the performance isn't flawless and musical enough,but there are nothing perfect in performing art.She keeps work and will be better in the long run,I wish,I pray.

Offline scottmcc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 04:04:48 AM
overall very well played, especially for her age.  It feels rushed to me though.  5 min for the movement (although she didn't repeat the exposition) is pretty quick.  most recordings are about 7-8 min for the whole thing, and slowing down just a little would give her a chance to be more expressive.  the area which could be emphasized more is mm 230-240. 

Offline thierry13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 03:58:32 AM
Thanks for Kelly-Kelly's encouragement.Thank pianisten,too.I hear you,but I don't think this piece hard for her.Of course,the performance isn't flawless and musical enough,but there are nothing perfect in performing art.She keeps work and will be better in the long run,I wish,I pray.

What you don't understand is that Rachel HAS shown us that she has the skill to play very musically, the only problem is that she chooses pieces in wich she can not demonstrate this ability, and/or she plays too many pieces at the same time or she does not put enough time in every piece. Her technical development is great for her age, I think you should let her begin her creative development ...

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 01:12:47 AM
I think you are at the stage now where you can start using the pedal to colour the tone of your music.  Rather than using it in terms of on/off states, there is a world of fractional pedaling eg: 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 only to name a few.  You could also use the pedal to create a sense of resonance in your sound, by controlling the how quickly or how slowly you raise the pedal.  Just as a painter could use different brush strokes to create different textures in paint, a pianist can utilize the pedal in differing ways to create a variety of tone qualities.

I also agree with the others in that it is time you also start developing your creativity with music.  Perhaps you could take up a bunch of short pieces that are technically very easy for you, and just work on expression and communication of the musical messages.  Do you do any improvising or composing?
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline mcsongster

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 02:58:04 AM
I just started out with this music and just wondering if some ppl can give me advice on how i can practice "Tempest" any advice would do.( Except idiotic ones )

Plz send to mckaystudio@live.com

Mckay.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 06:00:43 AM
I will never forget the chopin nocturne you performed a while ago.  A remarkable show of musical sensitivity.  Very very fine playing for ANY age.  This Beethoven was very good technically, of course, but the musical intention is missing.  At any rate, it's good to play and learn as much repertoire as you can in these formative years.  As you get older, you will take these pieces up again and they will begin to mean much more to you.
You have SOOOO much to look forward to!!!!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert