Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Easy Beethoven Piano Sonata  (Read 6169 times)

Offline quirky

• PS Silver Member
Easy Beethoven Piano Sonata
on: January 13, 2009, 08:32:58 PM
I have an upcoming diploma exam and have been told that I need to play a Beethoven Sonata. I have little time left, so I need one that is easy. It can be any Sonata except the Opus 49 pair and I only need 2 movements. Any ideas?

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Re: Easy Beethoven Piano Sonata
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 08:37:17 PM
Op. 14 no. 2 is nice, but it might be too easy... Same with op. 14 no. 1.
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.

Offline gerryjay

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 10:20:07 PM
dear quirky:
the choice of a beethoven sonata for an audition is an art by itself. the range of complexity (from opus 49 to opus 106) and duration (from 10 to 45 minutes) are the most common issues, but i like to think about another factors: how much do you love a particular sonata and - this is sometimes difficult to say - how much does your choice fit a context (i mean, for certain auditions, the performance of opus 13 or opus 27/2 could be a shot in the foot. with a .12 caliber).

that said, the possibilities are many, and i'm intrigued about your two movements limit. if you're not asked to play a full sonata, and in the other hand you can't choose opus 49, i think that yours diploma talks about an allegro di sonata and something else, or about a slow-last combination of movements.

to help you with some suggestions, would be nice if you tell what classical sonatas had you already play, and what else will you play. i ask you that, because "easy" is a broad concept. examples of easy beethoven sonatas could be opus 79, opus 13, opus 31/2 or opus 110, depending of your skills.

best!

Offline communist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 11:12:56 PM
maybe op.2 no.1
"The stock markets go up and down, Bach only goes up"

-Vladimir Feltsman

Offline mikey6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 01:18:03 AM
There are quite a few 2 movt sonatas so you could play one of them.
Otherwise, the op.79 is not all that hard - has it's moments though! 
Les Adieux - you could do 2&3 although the slow movt is hard to come to grips with.
If it's only 2 movts then there's plenty of opportunities, do which one you like!
Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them.
Richard Strauss

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 01:14:44 PM
op.2 no.1
op.10 no.1
op.10 no.2
op.14 no.1
J.S Bach Italian Concerto,Beethoven Sonata op.2 no.2,Mozart Sonatas K.330&333,Chopin Scherzo no.2,Etude op.10 no.12&Fantasie Impromptu

Offline kitty on the keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 06:33:26 PM
Why did wait till now to pick a Sonata? :o  Might as well try Op. 109 or 111. As easy as the Sonatas they others have suggested----you need to play it and live with it so you understand the stucture---I could not just learn a Beethoven Sonata for an exam and hope it will be passable. :o

Kitty on the Keys

bad kitty
Kitty on the Keys
James Lee

Offline dkainoa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 10:04:28 PM
i laughed out loud a little bit when i read op 110 described as easy but i see your point here: easy is a vague and relative word. I'm actually learning op 110 right now and for me, its quite the challenge!
I agree with the last post that you should take some time to listen to the sonatas yourself and choose one with your teacher that best resonates with you AND with your program. The first reply also mentioned to steer clear of op 13 and 27/2 and i agree - better to go for something a less obvious for the judges' sake! bonne chance!

Offline gerryjay

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 01:00:03 AM
i laughed out loud a little bit when i read op 110 described as easy but i see your point here: easy is a vague and relative word. I'm actually learning op 110 right now and for me, its quite the challenge!
I agree with the last post that you should take some time to listen to the sonatas yourself and choose one with your teacher that best resonates with you AND with your program. The first reply also mentioned to steer clear of op 13 and 27/2 and i agree - better to go for something a less obvious for the judges' sake! bonne chance!
dear dkainoa:
the adjective "easy" don't seem to fit opus 110, isn't true? i think that every pianist have a good time (and many headaches) studying it, but you will certainly agree it worths.
best!

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 06:48:33 AM
Why did wait till now to pick a Sonata? :o  Might as well try Op. 109 or 111. As easy as the Sonatas they others have suggested----you need to play it and live with it so you understand the stucture---I could not just learn a Beethoven Sonata for an exam and hope it will be passable. :o

Kitty on the Keys

bad kitty

you're joking...are'nt you... ::) quirky stated that he/she has little time left and besides, it is not wise to learn op.109 or 111 when one has'nt even learn the more basic, easier beethoven sonatas yet.

If you say it's so easy, why don't you post a recording?

The late Beethoven sonatas are alot harder then the earlier ones
J.S Bach Italian Concerto,Beethoven Sonata op.2 no.2,Mozart Sonatas K.330&333,Chopin Scherzo no.2,Etude op.10 no.12&Fantasie Impromptu

Offline rachmaninova

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 10:00:10 AM
op.2 no.1
op.10 no.1
op.10 no.2
op.14 no.1

If you already played these, the two last movements from Op. 27-1 would be a possibility... But I agree that you should talk to your teacher and also listen to the recordings and sight-read (if you haven't done it already) some sonatas. You have the 2-movement sonatas op. 54, op. 79 and op. 90 (but this last one is a little bit harder and I don't know you as a pianist).

Good luck!  :D

Offline kitty on the keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 01:05:16 PM
you're joking...are'nt you... ::) quirky stated that he/she has little time left and besides, it is not wise to learn op.109 or 111 when one has'nt even learn the more basic, easier beethoven sonatas yet.

If you say it's so easy, why don't you post a recording?

The late Beethoven sonatas are alot harder then the earlier ones

I was being sarcastic----with such a short time to learn.----kitty
Kitty on the Keys
James Lee

Offline alpacinator1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 01:29:45 PM
If you already played these, the two last movements from Op. 27-1 would be a possibility... But I agree that you should talk to your teacher and also listen to the recordings and sight-read (if you haven't done it already) some sonatas. You have the 2-movement sonatas op. 54, op. 79 and op. 90 (but this last one is a little bit harder and I don't know you as a pianist).

Good luck!  :D

Actually, op. 79 has 3 movements: Presto alla Tedesca, Andante and Rondo
Working on:
Beethoven - Waldstein Sonata
Bach - C minor WTC I
Liszt - Liebestraume no. 3
Chopin - etude 25-12

Offline rachmaninova

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 03:48:21 PM
Actually, op. 79 has 3 movements: Presto alla Tedesca, Andante and Rondo

It was a typing mistake... I meant op. 78!  ::)

Offline dkainoa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 05:44:43 PM
dear dkainoa:
the adjective "easy" don't seem to fit opus 110, isn't true? i think that every pianist have a good time (and many headaches) studying it, but you will certainly agree it worths.
best!

i was being sarcastic about op 110. i'm currently practicing it and it's far from easy, but you're right - also extremely rewarding piece.

Offline etudes

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 12:30:51 AM
It was a typing mistake... I meant op. 78!  ::)
seconded!
It isn't easy at all, but short and very effective for exam or competition.
Piano = my life
My life = piano
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert