Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: An chopin or a Liszt etude?  (Read 3707 times)

Offline njalli

• PS Silver Member
An chopin or a Liszt etude?
on: February 14, 2009, 05:39:44 PM
Hello im 14.. allmost 15 years old. i have been playing for 4 years and im playing the 3rd movement from mozart sonata K. 330 and now im going to play soon the 1st movement.

But.. lets get to the point :P
There is a piano competition that is held every 3 years. And the requirements for age 15-18 are:

first part of a piano sonata
an virtuoso etude composed by liszt or chopin
a romantic piece
a piano piece of choise
and i think that that is all. My teacher thinks that i could compete now or in 3 years. if i compete now would make it harder to win because the chopin and liszt etudes are hard. instead of competing this year and again in 3 years i could just compete after three years

my teacher sayd today that she will try to find a manegeable etude for me to play if she finds one.

any suggestions for a etude to play?

--------------

Njall

-------------

Beethovens last sonata no 32, op 111 is the best of his sonatas!

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Re: An chopin or a Liszt etude?
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 06:00:14 PM
How about etude op25 no. 8?   I learned it as a student.  A real nice piece to play for competition.  good luck and best wishes  :)
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline njalli

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 06:07:53 PM
How about etude op25 no. 8?   I learned it as a student.  A real nice piece to play for competition.  good luck and best wishes  :)

thanks, im going to check it out right now!

if any one has other suggestions please do suggest !

Offline general disarray

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 06:11:24 PM
Also, check out in Opus 25 the next Etude, No. 9, and in Opus 10, No. 9.  This last suggestion might be the most approachable Etude for you right now. 
" . . . cross the ocean in a silver plane . . . see the jungle when it's wet with rain . . . "

Offline njalli

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 07:12:15 PM
ok thanks,

but anyway, u think the one in E-major, i think its op 10 number 3, not sure, anyone think i could play it? btw i only have like 7 months

Offline general disarray

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 07:36:21 PM
ok thanks,

but anyway, u think the one in E-major, i think its op 10 number 3, not sure, anyone think i could play it? btw i only have like 7 months

Opus 10, No. 3, might work but the middle section is rough for small hands.  You should just sit down at the keyboard and read through the suggestions we've made and see which Etude fits best in your hands.  Chopin is tricky.  It's a very personal choice. 

Try them on for size first.  It's like buying underwear:  it's not the cost you should be concerned with, but the upcreep. 

Believe me, you'll know quickly which ones will tax you beyond your limits.  Play through them.
" . . . cross the ocean in a silver plane . . . see the jungle when it's wet with rain . . . "

Offline njalli

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 09:35:45 PM
oki, thanks.. ill discuss this with my teacher soon :P

Offline thijsu

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 11:21:55 AM
gnomenreigen by liszt. You'll definately make an impression with that.

Offline heha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 12:58:30 PM
If you are only going to take part in 3 years' time, you may want to consider starting work slowly on one of the more difficult etudes. Eg 25/6, you may play it really well if you spend 30 minutes on it every day for 3 years, and that should separate you from the rest of the field.

If you are going to take part this year, I think Gnomenreigen is a great pick, as well as 10/8 and a few others. I would try not to pick the slower ones as the etude section of your performance is supposed to show your full technical capabilities. Good luck!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert