Piano Forum

Topic: Rachmaninov isle of the dead arr. two piano or 4 hands?  (Read 4566 times)

Offline gruffalo

• PS Silver Member
im not sure which it was arranged for (i think by taubmann) but i need to get hold of a score for this for an assignment i have been given by the end of today. does anybody know where i can download a this score for free or for cheap?

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Rachmaninov isle of the dead arr. two piano or 4 hands?
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 04:49:32 PM
Only got solo piano version.

Sorry old chap.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline gruffalo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 12:59:21 AM
no worries. thanks anyway!

gruff

Offline weissenberg2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 12:37:05 PM
It seems like a piece that would be kinda a drag for solo piano or piano four hands
"A true friend is one who likes you despite your achievements." - Arnold Bennett

Offline lontano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 04:06:46 AM
It seems like a piece that would be kinda a drag for solo piano or piano four hands

Just a thought, but the same thinking might have turned Ravel away from writing very successful 1 & 2 piano scores for "la Valse", "Bolero" and even "Daphnis and Chloe". At the time, and over much of the Romantic 19c era, piano transcriptions of major orchestral works were more the norm than not.

But considering Rachmaninov and "Isle of the Dead", it probably wouldn't work well unless transcribed by a great composer/transcriber (which Rachmaninov was). I really love the orchestral work, and agree a piano reduction would really need inspiration to bring the mood across, regardless of the number of hands/pianos.

Just a few late night after-thoughts.

Lontano
...and she disappeared from view while playing the Agatha Christie Fugue...

Offline plohmsg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 02:43:31 PM
Only got solo piano version.

Sorry old chap.

Thal

Hello, I am new hear and found this old thread. Thal, would you be so nice and tell who is author of solo piano version you have? I know only about Otto Taubmann's 4hands version which is accesible on imslp. Is there any chance for you to send a scan of this solo arrangement? Best wishes,
P

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 03:18:43 PM
who is author of solo piano version

The island of the dead : symphonic poem to a painting by A. Boecklin for the piano, op. 29 (Ostrov mertvykh : simfonicheskaia poema k kartine A. Beklina dlia fortep'iano). By Sergei Rachmaninoff (1873-1943). Edited by G. Kirkor. For piano. Published by Noten Roehr (NR.81265).

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/The-island-of-the-dead-symphonic-poem-to-a-painting-by-A-Boecklin-for-the-piano-op-29/19644940

Offline plohmsg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 03:41:14 PM
Many thanks for that! Best, P
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert