Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: What's up in your life right now???  (Read 10010 times)

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: What's up in your life right now???
Reply #150 on: October 09, 2010, 02:45:23 PM
Oh! It came out!  YEA!!!!!!!  I'm computer savvy again! 

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #151 on: October 09, 2010, 02:48:08 PM
COOL Birba!!!! She is so cute!! Say hi to her please. Does she like piano too?  :)  :P  8)

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #152 on: October 09, 2010, 02:51:02 PM
It may be because she's still a puppy, but the other day she laid on my feet at the pedals while I was practising.  And the pumping up and down of my right foot didn't phase her in the least!

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #153 on: October 09, 2010, 03:00:18 PM
I'm sure she loves the piano! she's like me!  :D   :P :)  8)  :)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #154 on: October 11, 2010, 01:25:29 PM
Oh today I got the new Theory book! :) Oh and the title is not Young musicians (like it said on the list of what books we have to get) but it's Little musicians 3 and you also get a game with the book! that's cool!  8) But I wish someone could play it with me  :-\ I don't think anyone I know knows so much about music theory  :-\ I mean except the ones that go to music theory with me, but I don't know them that well (i just see them once a week at music theory). Oh well I couldn't answer a lot of those questions either, cause we haven't learned all that yet. We'll learn it this year. Looks scary :)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #155 on: October 13, 2010, 02:27:50 AM
I have very little idea what is up in my life right now.  Everything looks like some foreign land to me at the time.  I don't know for sure what's up and what's down, etc.  

Ciao!
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #156 on: October 13, 2010, 03:35:18 AM
^Welcome back old screen name. Different names give different colors, and "m1469" has always been darker more real for what's worth.  8)
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #157 on: October 13, 2010, 04:26:58 AM
^Welcome back old screen name. Different names give different colors, and "m1469" has always been darker more real for what's worth.  8)

More real??   How's that possible?   But okay, I'm not going to lie, I've been uncomfortably burny about my life and music and piano, lately.  I repeat, uncomfortably burny.   Make whatever jokes you like, people, uncomfortably burny all the same.  And, it's highly possible I will only become more burny.  Yikes I say, yikes.   All I know is that there better be some outta-this-world music that accompanies this.   It better be hauntingly beautiful at times, and actually unsurpassed in pure gorgeousness, as well as all the other stuff it better be.  And, it better be something I can't even imagine yet.  Sometimes it almost is.  Sometimes there's this "sound" that I can almost hear but not quite.

*burns and burns*  
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #158 on: October 13, 2010, 04:36:14 AM
More real??   How's that possible?   But okay, I'm not going to lie, I've been uncomfortably burny about my life and music and piano, lately.  I repeat, uncomfortably burny.   Make whatever jokes you like, people, uncomfortably burny all the same.  And, it's highly possible I will only become more burny.      Yikes I say, yikes.   All I know is that there better be some outta-this-world music that accompanies this.   It better be hauntingly beautiful at times, and actually unsurpassed in pure gorgeousness, as well as all the other stuff it better be.  And, it better be something I can't even imagine yet.  Sometimes it almost is.  Sometimes there's this "sound" that I can almost hear but not quite.

*burns and burns*  

Don't let my personality quirk get you down...names have colors, you know. You're the same person regardless :) But burnout is part of life, too. However, your description, "All I know..." is just the sort of absolutely inspiring thing which wants me to strive, and wishes really that we'd all take it and strive towards some sort of realization and discover beauty all around in ourselves and in others and be thankful. Ah well, you're just one of those who breathes life in your music and in your words.
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #159 on: October 13, 2010, 06:33:49 AM
I have actually been quite surprised when my neighbours named their little daughter Maylea. Now she'll soon turn 2  :)  8)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #160 on: October 13, 2010, 10:53:21 AM
Don't let my personality quirk get you down...names have colors, you know. You're the same person regardless :) But burnout is part of life, too. However, your description, "All I know..." is just the sort of absolutely inspiring thing which wants me to strive, and wishes really that we'd all take it and strive towards some sort of realization and discover beauty all around in ourselves and in others and be thankful. Ah well, you're just one of those who breathes life in your music and in your words.

Thanks for the reminder to be thankful, because I secretly know there's a lot to be thankful for.  I'm also deeply hungry though, not actually burnt out, and very definitely hungry for more in my life.  That's sometimes a very tricky road to travel, you know?   Hungry for more but realizing, acknowledging, and practicing gratitude for all that one already has.   I guess that's part of what I am doing being up at this hour though, these are the sorts of things that I realize I must get sorted out.  I woke at 2:50am and "had" to get up and start my day, sorting these things out a bit, getting my head in the right place, starting my practicing for the day (which I hope to have be fruitful and focused (and fun :))), then I'll start teaching for 6 hours straight ... to a great mixture of students, the last one leaving 15 minutes before my "bedtime".  I was going to sleep in until 6am, you see, but my inner self had to get up instead.  

So, now I sort my life a bit and soon I go to the keys and I will begrudgingly sing in a number of hours, too, since I must.  And, you see, this "little" post is my social contact with the world -- my only social contact not including my truly dear students, despite the fact that I can feel the world thinking and breathing and questioning and being ... Even the fishies in the ocean, the stars in the sky, that little child in that 3rd world country, and even the seemingly dark people in their seemingly dark lives.   And, somehow, they also feel me.  

In the meantime, Wolfi, is that real??  That is ... well, quite nice.  But, just to give props to Karli, as well, she has had children named after her, too :).        

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #161 on: October 13, 2010, 11:15:09 AM
Why have you transferred back to your previous existance??

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #162 on: October 13, 2010, 11:18:30 AM

In the meantime, Wolfi, is that real??  That is ... well, quite nice.  

Yeah it's real :) It's a rare name here. She's very cute :)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #163 on: October 13, 2010, 02:13:50 PM
Why have you transferred back to your previous existance??

Thal

Perhaps it was more or less inspired to be :).  

Yeah it's real :) It's a rare name here. She's very cute :)

:)

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #164 on: October 13, 2010, 04:20:33 PM
I have very little idea what is up in my life right now.  Everything looks like some foreign land to me at the time.  I don't know for sure what's up and what's down, etc.  
Mon Dieu! You've gone to Herefordshire!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #165 on: October 15, 2010, 06:09:45 AM
Mon Dieu! You've gone to Herefordshire!

Also there, but not only, obviously :)  ;)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #166 on: October 17, 2010, 07:34:47 PM
Trying to swallow down how focused I am going to need to be this week, starting in about 15 minutes and counting.  Pretty soon I will feel like I'm in a tunnel again.  Tomorrow, wake up around 3:30am, get my mind straight, practice until I teach at 12:45-6:30, then rehearsal from 6:30-9:30pm.  Then straight to bed.  That's the *start* of the week.  Trying to get all psyched up and focused.  The mountain that seems to be in front of me seems daunting, so if I'm going to do it, I have no choice but to put myself into a tunnel.  Okay ... *getting psyched*

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #167 on: October 18, 2010, 05:47:42 AM
Sounds more taxing then a rinzai zen sesshin! :o

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #168 on: October 18, 2010, 08:00:06 PM
I am bored with scanning scores, my 3rd favourite banjo needs new strings & Dougs needs some batteries.

Life can be so testing sometimes.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline mistermoe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #169 on: October 18, 2010, 08:22:38 PM
Life can be so testing sometimes.

You poor thing... ::)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #170 on: October 18, 2010, 08:25:48 PM
I don't know how i cope ;D
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #171 on: October 18, 2010, 08:31:12 PM
Do any of us?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #172 on: October 18, 2010, 08:31:27 PM

Thal...don't panic..just be calm...now.. you know now you need to set priorities, you know? Calm, calm....let's think...what's best

omg :o

the banjo, the banjo

do that first

that's most urgent!!!!

;D

Offline mistermoe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #173 on: October 18, 2010, 08:40:06 PM
Put the batteries into your banjo to kill two birds with one stone, that way you'll have enough time left to scan dougs!

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #174 on: October 18, 2010, 09:05:56 PM
I just cannot imagine life without banjo. I have had one for 20 years now.

Much better than children as they don't make a noise unless you play with them and when you have finished, you just lock them in a box.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #175 on: October 18, 2010, 10:35:13 PM
I just cannot imagine life without banjo. I have had one for 20 years now.

Much better than children as they don't make a noise unless you play with them and when you have finished, you just lock them in a box.
Well, like something else somewhere else on this forum, that is you prerogative alone - but, for the possible enlightenment of people here, how do you view the relationship between you and the banjo to that between you and the piano? (and I ask this on what is, after all, a forum largely devoted to pianistic matters)...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #176 on: October 18, 2010, 10:40:29 PM
Banjo is always just fun and the music pure joy.

Piano is generaly more multi-emotional and deep. Depends on what one plays though.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #177 on: October 18, 2010, 11:00:15 PM
Banjo is always just fun and the music pure joy.

Piano is generaly more multi-emotional and deep. Depends on what one plays though.
OK. Thanks for that. I must confess to having written for only one of those two instruments, but perhaps the reason for which I have written for that particular one might to some extent be down to what you tell us here about what the piano is for you.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #178 on: October 19, 2010, 07:56:33 PM
So this is my music theory book I had last year for grade 1 and 2.

and this is my new music theory book that I have this year for grade 3.

And I hope that this week I get new books for piano too! (at least one or two, cause I'm supposed to get 6 or 7 till the end of this year!  :o ).  :)  :P

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #179 on: October 21, 2010, 01:57:38 PM
I like your theory books, too :).

Two nights ago I had the strangest dream-experience in that, I dreamt my way through an entire Bach prelude that I haven't played for about 8 years, and became conscious of it in the last line or so of it.  As I awoke and became conscious of the sound, I knew it was Bach, but I absolutely couldn't believe it was the one I had played 8 years ago!  It was as clear as day and flawlessly being played in my mind and as though it's something I've known forever!  I've never had that happen before.  It's made me think a bit on some things.

When I was a child, memorizing music was like building a room for it, and playing from memory (which is almost all I ever did since I learned by ear) was like being in that room and walking around in it.  I think it's/it can be like that still.  This Bach prelude though is part of a repertoire that has lived in some separate world for a number of years now, separate rooms that I have had almost zero access to for so long, it seems.  Now I wonder though if I can just kind of "pop into" those rooms and have those pieces back?  I don't know, but it's like I can feel them alive in me again.  And, what if I just have this huge mansion in me with all of these pieces in all of these rooms, and I can just go in there any time I want?  That would be really cool, to say the least :).

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #180 on: October 21, 2010, 02:12:15 PM
Mali glasbeniki = We are musicians?

Nauk o glasbi = ? I'm not quite sure, but maybe "Theory of Music?"
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #181 on: October 21, 2010, 02:35:51 PM
So my little beautiful fish died. Just before I went to sleep. One minute before he was still swimming (he wasn't looking very well but he was still swimming) and then the next time I looked just before going to sleep he was dead.  :'(  :'( I was soooo sad! And then the other two fish came there where he was lying and stayed there swimming above him for a while and then the cleaning fish came there too after a while and he was just there besides him for a while and then moved him a little (like he would hide him into the plants) and went away. And I was crying so much. I still have swollen eyes a little! And a lot of our fish that we had died already and I'm always very sad and feel really bad but this one was even more special... I'm not sure why.... but he was just so brave for so long and he always came to see me when I came near the fish tank. and not just because I gave them food, but sometimes I just put my hand on the fish tank and i didn't even look where the fish were, and then when I looked he was almost always exactly where my hand was and just looking at me and if I put my face close to the fish tank he came really close too. So he was really special and I miss him!!  :(  :'( And he was really beautiful too, I will post a picture of him after a while. I didn't really sleep very much cause I was crying for a long time..... and then I thought that maybe he will come to see me in my dreams. And then I wasn't dreaming exactly about him.... but I was dreaming about water. About a lot of different kinds of waters. Like there were huge rivers and little rivers and some were green and some were blue and some were like crystal clear waters, and some were very deep and some were not... and it was like really weird it was like you could see all of these waters at the same time and then you could choose into which one you wanted to go. I don't exactly remember what you had to do to choose one...  :-\ but it was just really easy just like thinking about it or something like that  :-\ and you were there.... and it was really weird and beautiful and interesting and fun and cool too! So then when I woke up I thought that this must be a fish heaven! Or maybe my fish now has to decide in which of those waters he is going to live in his next life. I don't know I just hope he is ok! And that he knows I love him!!!

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #182 on: October 21, 2010, 02:37:20 PM
I like your theory books, too :).

Thank you! :)
Dreams are cool!!  8)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #183 on: October 21, 2010, 02:41:17 PM
Mali glasbeniki = We are musicians?

Nauk o glasbi = ? I'm not quite sure, but maybe "Theory of Music?"

Yes Nauk o glasbi is Theory of Music.... but if you translated it exactly it would be more like Theory about Music... oh well ... or maybe.... I guess of and about is not so different right? I mean you can say: speaking about, or speaking of.... so I guess it's exactly Theory of music yes.
And Mali glasbeniki means: Little musicians :) .... mali means little. So in my language I would be Malamelodija :)

Offline tsveti

• PS Silver Member
Reply #184 on: October 21, 2010, 04:00:01 PM
So my little beautiful fish died. Just before I went to sleep. One minute before he was still swimming (he wasn't looking very well but he was still swimming) and then the next time I looked just before going to sleep he was dead.  :'(  :'( I was soooo sad! And then the other two fish came there where he was lying and stayed there swimming above him for a while and then the cleaning fish came there too after a while and he was just there besides him for a while and then moved him a little (like he would hide him into the plants) and went away. And I was crying so much. I still have swollen eyes a little! And a lot of our fish that we had died already and I'm always very sad and feel really bad but this one was even more special... I'm not sure why.... but he was just so brave for so long and he always came to see me when I came near the fish tank. and not just because I gave them food, but sometimes I just put my hand on the fish tank and i didn't even look where the fish were, and then when I looked he was almost always exactly where my hand was and just looking at me and if I put my face close to the fish tank he came really close too. So he was really special and I miss him!!  :(  :'( And he was really beautiful too, I will post a picture of him after a while. I didn't really sleep very much cause I was crying for a long time..... and then I thought that maybe he will come to see me in my dreams. And then I wasn't dreaming exactly about him.... but I was dreaming about water. About a lot of different kinds of waters. Like there were huge rivers and little rivers and some were green and some were blue and some were like crystal clear waters, and some were very deep and some were not... and it was like really weird it was like you could see all of these waters at the same time and then you could choose into which one you wanted to go. I don't exactly remember what you had to do to choose one...  :-\ but it was just really easy just like thinking about it or something like that  :-\ and you were there.... and it was really weird and beautiful and interesting and fun and cool too! So then when I woke up I thought that this must be a fish heaven! Or maybe my fish now has to decide in which of those waters he is going to live in his next life. I don't know I just hope he is ok! And that he knows I love him!!!

Hey, littletune, I'm really sorry to hear about your fish... It's always very painful when you lose somebody you love... I had a dog, she was about 11 years old... She died last year because of a stupid accident. I still miss her but, fortunately, time heals...

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #185 on: October 21, 2010, 04:09:52 PM
Yes, it's really tough when you lose pet friend.  I used to think it wasn't fair that they lived such short lives, but then I realized it was better they went before me, because if I went before them who would take care of them? 

Offline tsveti

• PS Silver Member
Reply #186 on: October 21, 2010, 04:19:40 PM
Yes, it's really tough when you lose pet friend.  I used to think it wasn't fair that they lived such short lives, but then I realized it was better they went before me, because if I went before them who would take care of them? 

Right :) There's a movie about story like that - 'Hachiko' . It's about a dog who loses his master.. I don't have yet enough courage to see this movie, but I know it's very good :)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #187 on: October 21, 2010, 07:47:12 PM
Hey, littletune, I'm really sorry to hear about your fish... It's always very painful when you lose somebody you love... I had a dog, she was about 11 years old... She died last year because of a stupid accident. I still miss her but, fortunately, time heals...
Thank you! I'm really sorry about your dog too!

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #188 on: October 22, 2010, 07:31:06 PM
Well I still miss my fish a lot and it makes me sad he's not here anymore  :(
I found another bruise on my arm.
We have 10 days of school holidays!  :P But I'll have music school anyway  :P (except on monday November 1st I don't have music theory).
For Christmas recital I will be playing: Joy To The World and probably one other piece too maybe Bourree or Vivace. (Sorry Birba no Sonatinas yet). But I hope that tomorrow I get that book with Sonatinas.
Oh one neighbour has complained about me again  ::) but fortunately not about piano!! He said to my mum that when I go for a walk with my dog that I come back with dirty shoes and then the stairs get dirty too  ::) which is not even true. And my mum said to him that if I came home with dirty shoes she would be the first to notice it. And that it's a lot worse that some people are throwing cigarets on the stairs and spitting.
And one other neighbour has complained about trees (that were near our aparment building and were really beautiful and great) :o so they just cut them down  :o  >:( so stupid! I really don't know why the poor trees were bothering her cause they weren't even that close to her window! So we have neighbours that hate music and trees and animals and kids and nature.... and everything I guess  :-\
Maybe I wanted to say something else but i forgot...  :P

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #189 on: October 23, 2010, 05:38:31 AM
At least you have your music!  And a neat mom!

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #190 on: October 23, 2010, 12:45:38 PM
Yes my mum is really cool!!!  8) Today in the morning (while I was still sleeping) she went to buy the new books for piano!! :)  8) So when I got up I had my new piano books!!! I'm really happy! :) I think I will take a picture and post it!!!!!  :P  :P  8)

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #191 on: October 23, 2010, 04:56:46 PM
Yes!  They're going to need my approval!  >:( ;D

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #192 on: October 23, 2010, 07:25:42 PM
Ok :) so here are my new piano books!  :P  :P  8)
first one:

and the second one (with Sonatinas)  :P

So what do you think Birba?  :P

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #193 on: October 23, 2010, 07:58:57 PM
Who are some of the composers of the sonatinas?

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #194 on: October 23, 2010, 08:04:31 PM
I have got a cold.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #195 on: October 23, 2010, 08:37:10 PM
I have got a cold.
Then treat it with plenty of rest (I assume that you do not have to go to work over the weekend), some suitable medication to relieve it (nothing will actually cure it, as you know) and a wee dram or three of something from my country (and I didn't have raspberry juice in mind, although a little heather honey in the liquid that I did have in mind might not gang aglae come amiss)...

I hope that you get rid of it quickly!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #196 on: October 23, 2010, 08:55:12 PM
and a wee dram or three of something from my country

Indeed this is a good idea, but for some reason, whenever I have a cold i get the incredible urge to drink cream soda which i never touch when well.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #197 on: October 23, 2010, 09:00:39 PM
Forgot to mention, that a little Bainton mixed with a little Bowen should be available on prescription.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #198 on: October 23, 2010, 10:08:44 PM
Forgot to mention, that a little Bainton mixed with a little Bowen should be available on prescription.
Depending on the works concerned, that sounds rahter more palatable than the cream soda that you mentioned earlier; I'm not convinced that either of them or the cream soda will do much to relieve a common cold, however. No, it is, of course, the amber nectar of that country some way to the north of Gravesend that I had in mind - and, for a musical connection thereto, I can perhaps do no better than to mention a conversation that I had on a walk with Ronald Stevenson years ago in which, some time after he quoted Nielsen's remark that "music is the sound of life" and then talked about that, we somehow got to the point where he mentioned that "whisky is the water of life", to which I had the temerity and lack of discretion to conclude "so the music of Stevenson is the sound of whisky!".

So - a wee tot or two of a fine malt imbibed slowly as you listen to Stevenson's song cycle Border Boyhood and then to bed, methinks; 'twill work wonders!

Best,

Alistishoo (excuse me)
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #199 on: October 23, 2010, 11:38:38 PM
I have slept most of the day and now I am wide awake. At least there are some interesting programmes on Yesterday Channel.

Perhaps "Shaving Ryans Privates" will be on another station for the millionth time.

Thal
Curator/Director
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert