Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: What editions are the PS scores?  (Read 2070 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
What editions are the PS scores?
on: May 10, 2009, 08:29:00 PM
It's public domain.  I think it's scans of older editions and then some is reworked so the layout is clean.

Can we know what older editions were scanned though?  I'd like to know.  Otherwise I'm questioning the credibility of the source.  And if I don't know, I can't use them or I have to check them anyway which is a pain.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Re: What editions are the PS scores?
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 06:15:24 AM
No answer?  It's a good question.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline nilsjohan

• Administrator
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 07:19:09 AM
Yes, a very good question.

The editions named "PS Urtext" or "PS Edition" are our own engraved edition which are our highest quality sheet music and in most cases the prefered choice where several editions are available in our sheet music library. For these files you find the edition name in the file link and below the composer name on the first page of each piece.

The editions of scanned music are not yet visable in the files when you print them out. However, the name of the edition are visable in the file links for many but not all of our 3098 sheet music files.
Later this year we will add edition information for most of the files and also put this info in each pdf file.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:45:30 PM
So the PS ones are someone at PS interpreting the manuscript?

I'm still not quite following.  I thought some of them were scans of already printed editions.  I remember seeing the edition in the file name for the manuscript ones... Hmm... Can you give us an example of the names in the file links?

I just don't like not knowing where the music is from.  If it's a reprint but it's not labeled, I'm left wondering.

Offline nilsjohan

• Administrator
Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 07:31:19 AM
So the PS ones are someone at PS interpreting the manuscript?
Yes, but we take as many sources as possible into account, not only manuscripts.

I'm still not quite following.  I thought some of them were scans of already printed editions.
Yes, all files which are not "PS Urtext" or "PS Edition" are scans of already printed editions.
As mentioned, many but not all of these are labeled in the file link.
Here is an example of such labeling:

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 11:39:17 PM
So if they're not labeled in the filename, they were made be someone at PS, creating a clean copy from the manuscript?

Offline nilsjohan

• Administrator
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 10:46:19 AM
Not exactly... ;)

There are two categories of sheet music in our library:

1. Piano Street's own produced urtexts and editions
These are our own engraved editions based on research and decisions with the aim to provide the most usable and reliable sheet music. The concept is currently refined and some improvements are going to appear within the coming year, both to the already published music and to the many new additions.
All and every of these editions are labeled "PS Urtext" or "PS Edition" both in the file name and under the composer name in the sheet music file.

2. Scanned editions

These are scanned from 19th century or early 20th century editions which have been standardised with new titles (often translated to English) and slightly cleaned up without making any considerable changes to the music.
Many, but not all are labeled in the file link but not yet within the sheet music files.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 01:21:58 AM
Aren't there pieces that don't have a PS or other edition label? 

I'm wondering if they are coming from older, out-of-copyright scores.  That would make sense.  But if those older scores have mistakes or are edited (inaccurate or not the latest information) then I'm concerned.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert