Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: What do you think of Richter playing Das Wohltemperierte Klavier?  (Read 10108 times)

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Hello!
I recently got the complete WTK book 1 recorded by Richter, and I have to say it is the best set of recordings I have ever been able to find of this amazing work. I really enjoy his work with the sound/moods/textures, and his contrapunctual playing is amazing.

Have you heard these recordings, and what do you think of them? Are they the definite WTK recordings, or are there better out there (personally I don't give much for Gould)?

If you haven't heard them, a lot of the recordings can be found in a playlist on YouTube,
st?p=9152C783D22D5468

Offline cloches_de_geneve

• PS Silver Member
I have Richter's and I think it is unsurpassed. Gould's pales in comparison.
"It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it." -- Glenn Gould

Offline omar_roy

• PS Silver Member
I like Richter's Bach a lot.  Also check out Andras Schiff and Angela Hewitt.  They are considered some of the foremost interpreters of Bach today.

Offline lontano

• PS Silver Member
Many recordings I have heard, but none surpass Richter's. It is one of my top favorite recordings of any great work for piano by any composer. Then, again, few pianists surpass Richter's best work in any category. Of course, these are my own opinions. I wouldn't have such an outrageously vast collection of music if I just stuck to my favorite performers.  8)

L. 
...and she disappeared from view while playing the Agatha Christie Fugue...

Offline gep

Personal favorites: Landowska on harpsichord nad (just discevered) Feinberg on piano.

I wouldn't have such an outrageously vast collection of music if I just stuck to my favorite performers.
Amen....
I wonder how long the floors will still hold....
In the long run, any words about music are less important than the music. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not worth talking to (Shostakovich)

Offline lontano

• PS Silver Member
Very interesting choices. I prefer the piano over harpsichord, and only recently discovered Feinberg as a composer, but I may just see what he had to offer (if the recording is reasonably clear).
...and she disappeared from view while playing the Agatha Christie Fugue...

Offline retrouvailles

• PS Silver Member
Very interesting choices. I prefer the piano over harpsichord, and only recently discovered Feinberg as a composer, but I may just see what he had to offer (if the recording is reasonably clear).

I would say that in addition to Feinberg being a veritable interpreter of the WTC, he was quite an amazing composer. I would daresay that his piano sonatas are some of the most important of the first half of the 20th century.

Offline motet

• PS Silver Member
ı strogly recommend Edwin Fischer and especially Friedrich Gulda recordings of WTC. Of course,Richter playing may also be very good but unfortunately I did not listened to it

Offline leew

• PS Silver Member
ı strogly recommend Edwin Fischer and especially Friedrich Gulda recordings of WTC. Of course,Richter playing may also be very good but unfortunately I did not listened to it

I listen to both Friedrich Gulda and Richter. Some of them I think Richter interpretation is better and others, Gulda is better. We are lucky we can listen to both. Both of them give unique perspective.

Offline jcabraham

• PS Silver Member
Richter is great, if you can't have Leonhardt or Scott Ross.

Actually, Richter is the guy who made me like the WTC played on the piano. Normally I prefer the harpsichord.

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
I think he's boring... "Look, I can play the theme really really loud, and everything else really really quiet! :):)" It's okey to do that in the presentation, but he just keeps doing it..

Offline vviola

• PS Silver Member
Which recordings of the WTC do you like, pianisten?

Offline argerichfan

• PS Silver Member
Thumbs up for Richter.  The only recording I own on piano. 

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
I don't listen to wtk that often. Since Bach is so very individual, I haven't really found anyone that I really enjoy. I'll be back later, when I've decided.

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member
I think he's boring... "Look, I can play the theme really really loud, and everything else really really quiet! :):)" It's okey to do that in the presentation, but he just keeps doing it..

Interesting...I have heard nothing but great things about Richter's WTK recordings, until now...I'll have to listen to them myself I suppose...

...incidentally, a wonderful set I came across during a road trip with friends is by Edwin Fischer. Old recording, but some really wonderful pianism is easily evident.

Offline gert

• PS Silver Member
Richter's recording of the WTC is magnificent: I can never get enough of the nuances in every single voice. Like many people, I was introduced to Bach through Gould's recordings, but I just can't listen to them anymore: everything sounds the same. I'd say Murray Perahia's recording of the Goldberg Variations is in the same league as Richter's WTC: it has the same richness and lack of posturing. Both are supreme musicians, not just virtuosos. Incidentally, one of my favorite things on Richter's recording of Book I is the clearly audible sparrows in the courtyard of the castle where he was playing. Somehow that captures Richter's spirit perfectly for me: just play, no grandstanding, no ego; just the music.   
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert