Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Quality of scans for printing  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Quality of scans for printing
on: July 30, 2009, 10:25:35 PM
Is there a way to tell easily whether a scanned copy of something will come out ok on a printer?

Other than doing a test printout, but that's probably a very good way too. 

Something like dpi?  Or zooming in to a certain level on a pdf file?

I printed a pdf file out and I'm wondering where I got it now.  Public domain stuff.  But I can't read the staff lines on the printout.   ::) 

Live and learn.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Quality of scans for printing
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 09:05:35 AM
higher dpi = beter quality.

The more one scans, one will be able to notice patterns or settings which result in better or worse results. 

When you say you can't read staff lines, what exactly is the problem?  To blurry, pixelated, small?  You know in Adobe you can expand or shrink to fit page when you print.  This is good for stretching the print to fill the page instead of having so much blank space on the boarders.  However, if the scan was at too low a resolution printing big could result in pixelation.  In this case it may help to print smaller to get crisper lines. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 05:13:11 PM
This was one from here, but not from PS.  One that someone put up that I must have downloaded and it got mixed in with my PS scores. 

The staff lines aren't always there.  I can't tell where the notes are supposed to be unless I really study it out, but that doesn't cut it for sight-reading.  I keep wondering if it's on a line or space or which line it is exactly.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 05:29:16 PM
Sounds like some old crap that i posted bob.

Don't worry, i have a new scanner.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 09:34:32 PM
I don't know where I got the pdf.  Here, probably, but I don't know from who.

Is there a way to tell though without printing?  I'm thinking it's probably best to do a test page, but I'd rather avoid that if I could. 

It looks like things at 200 dpi might turn out a bit grainy.  Maybe 300 dpi would be passable.  I've heard 600dpi is needed for printing.  I'm still wondering though.  2-300 dpi seems to look ok for viewing on a computer screen though. 

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 05:14:32 PM
Really the best way to test is to print. 

You see images on your monitor as colored pixels of light projected at you.  You see images on paper as light reflected off a pigmented surface.  These two scenarios are very different. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert