Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: new rec. appassionata beethoven 1st mvt  (Read 2901 times)

Offline jehangircama

• PS Silver Member
new rec. appassionata beethoven 1st mvt
on: August 31, 2009, 01:50:56 PM
today's rec. of appassionata- this is the 1st mvt. again on upright yamaha, using laptop mike and audacity. at abt 5.05 or so there's a sudden blip, i think that's when the comp. screen went off.

hope this one gets a few more comments than its predecessor...am posting the rest of it in another post.
thanks
jc
You either do or do not. There is no try- Yoda

Life is like a piano, what you get out of it depends on how you play it

Offline aslanov

• PS Silver Member
Re: new rec. appassionata beethoven 1st mvt
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 06:26:01 AM
i'll comment on the section i stopped listening at.
That portion where theres the tremolo like triplets in the left hand, and the singing octave melody in the right. When you get to the subito piano, you gotta push the crescendo all the way, you gotta come in piano RIGHT on the note, not before to give it a more like..."gasp" effect, like ur just short of breath or something. you know? maybe im not using hte right metaphor, but you get the idea.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: new rec. appassionata beethoven 1st mvt
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 07:49:13 AM
Well, I sat through it, believe it or not.  I kept thinking, "what is wrong with it?".  Too slow, maybe.  But that's not it.  It sounds like a computer read-out.  At a slow speed.  But it could actually work, though, if there was at least, a minimum of phrasing.  You make the second theme sound like a march!  There's no direction.  The lines don't go anywhere.  They just "clump" along.  It's boring.  There's no life to it.  A few glitches here and there (apart from some sort of misreading in bars 28-29  and 167-8) wouldn't have marred the performance if there had just been some sort of musical intention somewhere.  At this same speed, play it, figure it out, follow the flow, colors, dynamics.  DO SOMETHING TO IT!
(You asked for it.)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert