Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: What does this mean with my computer? Youtube stops, starts  (Read 4305 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
My computer is not working much.  The internet connection is not being used much.  I see that in the task manager.

I also see the "Physical memory usage history" is about 3/5 up to the top.  That looks a bit high.

When I watch a youtube video, it keeps overrunning the portion of the video that is in the future, the red bar to the right of the playing indicator.  It doesn't seem to be able to suck up enough of the video coming up to keep up with playing the video.  Overrunning the buffer I guess.  Why isn't it pulling in enough video so it can play straight through instead of stopping, pausing, and then starting?  Is there anything I can do to remedy the situation?

It's fine for something things, but extremely annoying for music.

This started a few weeks ago.  It's not the youtube maintaince going on now.  My hard drive only a little over half full.  I still have about 50GB left. 
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline antichrist

• PS Silver Member
Re: What does this mean with my computer? Youtube stops, starts
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 02:29:35 AM
You mean that when you control the dot it turns right straight to the beginning?
if yes it doesn't matter,someone likes to make the vedio that annoying

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 02:58:15 AM
No, no. The buffer part for what is coming up in the video, that is being overrun by the current/present time indicator of the video.  I don't have any buffer before the video, or what's there gets overrun by the video playing very quickly. 

I'm not setting youtube on a higher quality.  It's just the normal quality that it defaults to.

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 04:23:08 AM
What type of connection do you have? Dial-up, adsl, broadband, T1, T3? The problem you mention seems like you're not getting enough bits to keep the picture going. If you are on some kind of cable system, unplug the modem from the power, wait five minutes and plug it back in. Maybe the modem just needs a reboot. If you have a router do the same with it.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 04:41:39 AM
You need to take your computer to a computer repair shop that specializes in
computer and their problems.  I had problems with my PC and the shop is a good
resource to talk to them.   :)

best wishes,

go12_3
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 05:34:43 AM

When I watch a youtube video, it keeps overrunning the portion of the video that is in the future, the red bar to the right of the playing indicator.

What does overrunning mean? You mean the red bar is there but you are playing to the right of it? The red bar highlights which portion of the the video that has been downloaded.

It doesn't seem to be able to suck up enough of the video coming up to keep up with playing the video.  
Suck up ????? Does it have problems when you wait for the entire video to completly download?

Overrunning the buffer I guess.  Why isn't it pulling in enough video so it can play straight through instead of stopping, pausing, and then starting?  Is there anything I can do to remedy the situation?
You can't overrun the buffer speed, that would be like listening to something that has not been downloaded yet. I'm guessing you are trying to listen to a video while it is buffering or downloading, and the video is very large and/or your connection speed is not fast enough to appreciate watching the video as it buffers.I would wait for the entire video to complete before pressing play. Also note how much RAM you have installed in your computer.

This started a few weeks ago.  It's not the youtube maintaince going on now.  My hard drive only a little over half full.  I still have about 50GB left.  
Your HD sounds old, which makes me think that your RAM is probably old too.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 07:40:44 AM
I also see the "Physical memory usage history" is about 3/5 up to the top.  That looks a bit high.

Sounds like a virtual memory problem. You need to increase your virtual memory paging file as you must be getting low on RAM. If you have 50G left on your harddrive you can increase this file considerably and it wiill speed up your computer.

If you google "increase virtual memory paging file", you will get instructions on how to do this on various operating systems.

When you have had a computer for some years, one tends to gradually increase the amount of processes that are running at the same time. You can check this by bringing up your task manager.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 08:38:51 AM
You could also try cleaning up your internet history: Go to 'tools' on the internet explorer bar, then 'internet options' and click the 'delete' (or whatever) button there and delete all the stuff you can delete. And Thal is probably right with this virtual memory advice.
1+1=11

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 11:46:23 AM
You could also try cleaning up your internet history: Go to 'tools' on the internet explorer bar, then 'internet options' and click the 'delete' (or whatever) button there and delete all the stuff you can delete. And Thal is probably right with this virtual memory advice.

At the end of day, I delete cookies and files which can add up.  And this will free up storage
space also.  Anytime you are online, the computer will keep record on every link and every
site you visit, plus, every down load you do.  It's a matter of delete, delete and more delete! 
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 01:25:11 AM
Grrr... My Youtube videos are acting up again.  I don't know what it is.  They were fine for awhile and now they're acting up again. 

But now I have a red bar to the right where it has collected the next part of the video, yet it still pauses. 

I'm updated, virus scanned, defragged... The task manager shows the computer isn't working very hard and isn't downloading much -- The video is already there waiting to play so it's not a download issue, I don't think.  Plenty of hard drive space....

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 01:26:49 AM
It's a broadband connection. 

New computer.  It was working fine this summer.

Internet temporary files are all cleaned out too.

Recycling bin is empty.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 01:42:51 AM
Dang... I tried this to increase virtual memory.
https://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Change-the-size-of-virtual-memory
and I adjusted for best performance.  It got very quickly overall after that.  Still slow on videos, so I restarted.  It's still pausing!

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 01:52:50 AM
I see it's overrunning the buffer.  I think that's the right terminology.  The "present" marker is going past the red to the right of that present marker.

My task manager says I have 100Mbps.  The top of the grid is 1% so it's barely using any of that.  Is the problem in that somehow?  Maybe I'm getting shortchanged on my internet speed....

I tried rerunning the video and that works fine.  It's already loaded up, red over the entire bar so that means it's already sitting on my computer.  Seems like a download thing now.  But my computer doesn't seem to be taking in as much as it could.  Or it's not being giving as much as it could handle.  

I tried resetting the modem and unplugged/replugged a network adapater box.  Then refreshed the video screen.  It initially jumps to downloading 5% and then goes back down to 1% at best.  And it's still overrunning the buffer. 

I tried Google video too, and an actual Google video, not one it found on Youtube.  No luck.  Same result.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 03:04:21 AM
https://www.speedtest.net/

That site is decent I've heard.  Looks like I'm only getting 1% of what I'm paying for. Hmmm....

Offline iroveashe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 03:24:41 AM
Looks like I'm only getting 1% of what I'm paying for. Hmmm....
Have you considered switching your internet service providings?
"By concentrating on precision, one arrives at technique, but by concentrating on technique one does not arrive at precision."
Bruno Walter

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 04:04:36 AM
I called.  Made it through the phone tree.  American people.  Whew...   They can't figure it out either but there's something wrong between them and me so they're sending someone out.  Looks like I'm getting between 1-10% of what I'm supposed to.  

Oddly enough, that Youtube video is running fine.  First one in a couple weeks that made it through without any pauses.   ::)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 04:11:23 AM
Hmmm....  (Bob is suspicious.)

Now my Youtube videos are loading up the buffer nicely.  Five minutes after I make the call the internet speeds up?  Man is it nice to see a video playing smoothly.  Dang.  Now I can watch the most worthless garbage on Youtube again.  Haha.   I found amateur videos to make sure they weren't some professional high quality info-intense material being sent at me.

That sounds  a little strange.  Maybe my ISP was hogging my connection, depriving it, until I complained. 

Or not.  It's back to pausing again. 

They're sending a tech person out. 

Offline iroveashe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 01:27:15 PM
Hmmm....  (Bob is suspicious.)

Now my Youtube videos are loading up the buffer nicely.  Five minutes after I make the call the internet speeds up?  Man is it nice to see a video playing smoothly.  Dang.  Now I can watch the most worthless garbage on Youtube again.  Haha.   I found amateur videos to make sure they weren't some professional high quality info-intense material being sent at me.

That sounds  a little strange.  Maybe my ISP was hogging my connection, depriving it, until I complained. 

Or not.  It's back to pausing again. 

They're sending a tech person out. 
Certain ISP's have different speeds during different times of the day. How much are you getting out of how much are you supposed to be getting btw?
"By concentrating on precision, one arrives at technique, but by concentrating on technique one does not arrive at precision."
Bruno Walter

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 05:36:03 PM
Well Bob, it appears that you have uncovered a dark secret of broadband providers. You pay for one speed and get another. When you complain, they fix it. Later thay go back to the way it was. Not a pleasant thought. Keep fighting! Don't get involved in the technical side with all their excuses about gamers, file sharers, etc. You're paying for so many mega bits per second day in and day out and you want all of them!

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert