Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: best keyboard stand  (Read 9425 times)

Offline billy_lee

• PS Silver Member
best keyboard stand
on: September 17, 2009, 05:24:30 PM
hello everyone this is my first post, I recently bought a keyboard(Casio CDP-100) it's a full size keyboard it weighs about 30 or so pounds and I'm wondering what kind of stand I should buy for it

a couple I have in mind are:

https://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/OnStage-Stands-Pro-Platform-Keyboard-Stand?sku=450384&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26036197

https://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/OnStage-Stands-HeavyDuty-Deluxe-X-ERGOLOK-Keyboard-Stand?sku=450388

my desk is just not working out for me it's to high when I'm sitting and to low when I'm standing, does anybody have some advice or would either of these be a good choice?(or are they both bad ;))
thanks
-billy

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Re: best keyboard stand
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 04:52:43 PM
Of those two, the four-legged one will be more stable but a pain to take down and set up again if you often move the keyboard. The X-style one is a pretty good compromise. Personally, if I'm using one of those X-style stands for a long period in one place, I usually beef them up with a vertical wooden support (easily cut from some 2-by-1) at each end, which stabilises them and makes playing less of a struggle. But they're pretty good in general. The single-beam X-style ones are a bit of a dead loss.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline billy_lee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 03:11:47 AM
thanks, I think I'm gonna go with the four legged one, I haven't moved the keyboard yet and I don't plan on moving it for a long time, it's only a few bucks more anyway(sure beats my desk!! haha)

thanks for the help,
-billy

Offline mezzo piano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 06:46:37 AM
Those X stands don't work well with the CDP-100. The keyboard slides around all over the place. Casio makes a stand specific for that piano, the CS-43. MF should stock them. The stand is an excellent fit and makes the piano look nice wherever you put it.

If the stand has to be portable then look for a Z stand.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 10:06:05 AM
The X style are ridiculous. Your knees will bump into it if you want to sit at the keyboard.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 06:02:34 AM
I find the X style tends to bounce the keyboard around.  You may not notice this at first, but once you get well into a piece the bounce gets increasing pronounced. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline leandrusi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 05:06:24 AM
The X style are ridiculous. Your knees will bump into it if you want to sit at the keyboard.

Never happened to me, after years of playing in X stands...

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 08:45:53 AM
My MP 6 weighs almost 50lbs . I built my own stand out of cabinet grade Birch Ply. I had the home supply store ( Home Depot) cut a piece of 3/4" ply roughly to the sizes I wanted ( you can make two stands out of one sheet), bought some iron on cap stripping material and took it home and put it together, glued and screwed. counter sunk the screw holes and plugged them ( you can get the plugs and drill bit from the same supply store or most hardware stores) The next day I stained it with black Polyshades. Looks like it belongs next to my grand piano and is rock solid. Cost me $64 and some of my own time. However, I don't intend to move it very often.
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert