Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Something we don't know... about you!  (Read 12602 times)

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Re: Something we don't know... about you!
Reply #150 on: January 31, 2010, 06:47:30 PM
Yes M'lud.
I am no lord, let alone 'lud but, more importantly, does your statement here mean that you now agree that no money was exchanged between you and K in respect of advice of any kind on a a pre-agreed contractual basis (as is indeed suggested by the far more random and inexplicable arrivals of sums into her bank account of which she wrote)?

Next witness.
Since the only people involved in this are Karli, you (if indeed you are involved), those responsible for handling her bank account and whoever may have made the relevant payments into that account, the paucity of - and indeed need for - any further witnesses should be pretty obvious, methinks.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline m19834

• PS Silver Member
Reply #151 on: January 31, 2010, 07:45:37 PM
haha ...

"I would like to take the stand, please  *raises hand to draw attention to herself, as the entire crowd turns to her in surprise*

And, even though we have a few members whom seem to fancy themselves as something of a lawyer *cough*, I would like to innocently represent myself."

Official people :  Okay, please take the stand, put your right hand in the air

K. :  [good thing I have a right hand, and even a gooder thingy that I just happen to be right-handed] ... she thinks to herself, as the official continues his speech

Official : ... and repeat after me ...

K. :  Yadda yadda, string cheese and belly button ... *has a seat*

Here is how it went down, yo.  See, I like taught this class last year, and, like, I was on contract back then.  And, they, like, despite the fact that they, like, asked me to teach some classes again this year, I declined for, like, personal reasons.  And, they had all of these huge changes take place at the facility in between the time I was actually teaching there, and this last Friday, when the money was deposited into my account, yo.  And, the way I *used* to get paid was by direct deposit, see ?  And, so, like, they still have all that information !!!  :o :o (at least they appear to be using the information quite wisely  :-* ;D ;))

Anyhoo (Oh, nice dress that lady over there is wearing ... I really need to go shopping ... and I mean I REALLY NEED to !!), I got a letter a couple of weeks ago, informing me that I am on contract for this term, and informing me of the amount I would get paid to teach this class (or not, too, apparently).  Well, curiosity got the best of me and I decided to wait and see what happens ... hee hee hee ... MWUAH HA HAAAAA !!!!

Anyway, as it turns out, they went ahead and put the money in there anyway, even though I am not actually teaching any classes.  haha.  (this is true !!).  The funny thing is, around my house, it is fairly easy for important mail to slip through the cracks ... I could have *very* easily not seen that piece of mail at *all* !!  I just happen to watch our accounts very closely, however, if I didn't watch my accounts as closely as I do, and if I *didn't* see that piece of mail, there are enough transactions to "hide" the deposit from a less-careful eye, and the amount which was deposited is not so astronomical that it was blaring out to me ... I was looking for it.  I know how the contract works, so I know it would happen again, once a month, for the remainder of the term if I didn't say anything !

As it turns out, I kind of saw it coming, but I wasn't sure it would really happen ... and then it did !!  I guess I let it happen to satisfy my own curiosity (I do many things in the name of curiosity ... ahem, I mean, in the name of science  ;)).  Afterall, it's not actually my fault *blinks innocently* ... and, funnily enough, it tells me certain things about how that place is being run ... hee hee ... so, it's completely in the name of science, it is.  Monday morning, I will call them and inform them of the mistake :)."

*steps down from the stand*

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #152 on: January 31, 2010, 10:06:18 PM
haha ...

"I would like to take the stand, please  *raises hand to draw attention to herself, as the entire crowd turns to her in surprise*

And, even though we have a few members whom seem to fancy themselves as something of a lawyer *cough*, I would like to innocently represent myself."

K. :  [good thing I have a right hand, and even a gooder thingy that I just happen to be right-handed] ... she thinks to herself, as the official continues his speech

Here is how it went down, yo.  See, I like taught this class last year, and, like, I was on contract back then.  And, they, like, despite the fact that they, like, asked me to teach some classes again this year, I declined for, like, personal reasons.  And, they had all of these huge changes take place at the facility in between the time I was actually teaching there, and this last Friday, when the money was deposited into my account, yo.  And, the way I *used* to get paid was by direct deposit, see ?  And, so, like, they still have all that information !!!  :o :o (at least they appear to be using the information quite wisely  :-* ;D ;))

Anyhoo (Oh, nice dress that lady over there is wearing ... I really need to go shopping ... and I mean I REALLY NEED to !!), I got a letter a couple of weeks ago, informing me that I am on contract for this term, and informing me of the amount I would get paid to teach this class (or not, too, apparently).  Well, curiosity got the best of me and I decided to wait and see what happens ... hee hee hee ... MWUAH HA HAAAAA !!!!

Anyway, as it turns out, they went ahead and put the money in there anyway, even though I am not actually teaching any classes.  haha.  (this is true !!).  The funny thing is, around my house, it is fairly easy for important mail to slip through the cracks ... I could have *very* easily not seen that piece of mail at *all* !!  I just happen to watch our accounts very closely, however, if I didn't watch my accounts as closely as I do, and if I *didn't* see that piece of mail, there are enough transactions to "hide" the deposit from a less-careful eye, and the amount which was deposited is not so astronomical that it was blaring out to me ... I was looking for it.  I know how the contract works, so I know it would happen again, once a month, for the remainder of the term if I didn't say anything !

As it turns out, I kind of saw it coming, but I wasn't sure it would really happen ... and then it did !!  I guess I let it happen to satisfy my own curiosity (I do many things in the name of curiosity ... ahem, I mean, in the name of science  ;)).  Afterall, it's not actually my fault *blinks innocently* ... and, funnily enough, it tells me certain things about how that place is being run ... hee hee ... so, it's completely in the name of science, it is.  Monday morning, I will call them and inform them of the mistake :)."

*steps down from the stand*
But K - no one has sought to put you on trial here! It seems only to be Thal's reference to "next witness" that has even suggested such a notion! As to your (to me) impenetrable reference to "string cheese and belly button", well, I'll just have to admit that Americans and Scots are indeed (as the cliché has it) divided by a common language....

Keep taking the money!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline m19834

• PS Silver Member
Reply #153 on: January 31, 2010, 10:23:20 PM
Keep taking the money!

Best,

Alistair

Well, I admit that I am, of course, also very curious about how long it would actually go on for.  I had taught in the Spring term of last year, too, so it might continue on through Spring if I don't say anything ... don't you find it a fun(ny) experiment ?  hee hee.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #154 on: January 31, 2010, 10:37:06 PM
As long as you remember not to spend it, it will be a good experiment.

I know girls find it difficult as you all seem to have 3,000 pairs of shoes.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #155 on: January 31, 2010, 10:43:14 PM

I have often wondered about the nature of the female company that you keep (well, not really, but I might well have done), but the above statement appears to suggest that you have little or nothing to do with any women who do not own and/or run shoe shops.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #156 on: January 31, 2010, 11:02:53 PM
haha ...

Lol, like, you know like ROFL

Offline m19834

• PS Silver Member
Reply #157 on: January 31, 2010, 11:41:32 PM

Thal

I have four pairs, one of them being sneakers that I wear for running, hiking, walking ...

Lol, like, you know like ROFL

:)

Okay, but, just any case there is any lingering question, I am *not* keeping the money  :P.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #158 on: February 01, 2010, 02:23:29 AM
Earn interest on it until they request it back.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #159 on: February 01, 2010, 03:24:46 AM
I have noticed that banks are making more mistakes, even in my account an additional $5.00
got in there, and how was I to explain that scenario to the bank?  I mean, everything is
done digitally anyhow.  Mistakes do occur.  So I waited until my next statement appeared and the $5.00 was still intact.  I figured, if my bank happened to detect the error, then it would have corrected it in my account.  Seeing that they didn't, then it's okay.  I don't have a record on where that $5.00 came from anyhow.   ::) 
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline m19834

• PS Silver Member
Reply #160 on: February 06, 2010, 04:59:30 PM
Well, the saga of the money being dropped into my account is nearly at a close, I believe, though of course I am slightly annoyed.  I called on Monday morning to let them know and at first the woman was informing me that the contract had passed through all of the appropriate people and that I was indeed on contract for not one, but two courses (though, I only got paid for one ... they were trying to rip me off  ;D !!).  Then I informed her (again) that I had indeed NOT agreed to teach, that I am not teaching, and that I shouldn't have been paid !  She recoiled a bit in silence and realized they had made a mistake.

And, apparently the only way to rectify it is by me writing a check to them.  So, I had to go to the store to get stamps (because we hardly *ever* mail anything) and I have to use one of my last checks to write to them.  I kept putting that off this last week and forgetting about it, and of course, Friday rolls around and I get a phone call from the payroll office from a woman who is part thug, talking to me in a tone like she is a toughy and that I am part criminal and that perhaps I am trying to actually steal the money !?  I then reminded her that it was I whom had informed them of the mistake in the first place and so I obviously knew that the money shouldn't be in my account and wasn't planning to keep it, and that I felt they should be able to take it out themselves since it was in fact their mistake !  haha.  

Of course, I got a little nervous because of her tone of voice until I remembered that it wasn't MY fault !

But, in my annoyed state, I have now put the check in the envelope and am ready to drop it into the mailbox, but I have written on the envelope that "On principle, I should not have had to spend my own time and money to pay for your mistake" haha ... and I can't decide whether to actually send it like that or not ... hee hee.  I have a feeling that I will though.  I know it's not a lot of money for me to send it, maybe about a dollar for just the thing, but that means on principle, I am actually PAYING for something that was completely not my fault, AND I was honest with them about it even though they would have merrily continued on that path, seemingly never knowing what had happened.

Oh well.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #161 on: February 06, 2010, 05:07:08 PM

But, in my annoyed state, I have now put the check in the envelope and am ready to drop it into the mailbox, but I have written on the envelope that "On principle, I should not have had to spend my own time and money to pay for your mistake" haha ... and I can't decide whether to actually send it like that or not ... hee hee.  I have a feeling that I will though.  I know it's not a lot of money for me to send it, maybe about a dollar for just the thing, but that means on principle, I am actually PAYING for something that was completely not my fault, AND I was honest with them about it, even though they would have merrily continued on that path, seemingly never knowing what had happened.

What you should have done was to deduct a few dollars for your time and trouble.

Then you would have felt less annoyed and you would have messed up their accounts.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #162 on: February 06, 2010, 06:10:53 PM
Many of us have probably been deluged with scam spam emails about wins on lotteries that one has never entered and relatives of people in certain countries wanting to offer you a cut of very large sums, in all cases in order to obtain bank details and other such sensitive information. Well, a few years ago, my bank called me to ask if I wanted the recent deposit into my current account to be placed temporarily on the money markets pending my investment decision. I knew not of what they were talking, so they got a little suspicious and asked if I was aware of a substantial sum having been deposited there the previous day, to which my answer was (I don't know what you mean by "substantial", but if you mean more than a hundred pounds, the answer is no". At that point, seeing that it was my account, the bank advised me that an amount of - well, I cannot now recall the precise sum but it was a little over three quarters of a million pounds - had been deposited there and they could not identify its source as it had been a cash payment. I then tried to get back up off the floor and said "what, if anything, can I do or do you want me to do?" They said "nothing", but if you believe that this sum was not destined for your account, we will take note of that and investigate it as far as possible. They also confirmed that, should its source and/or intended destination not be ascertained after six months, it may be that I would be allowed to keep it. What can one say to that? Three weeks later, the error was indeed identified and the money removed from my account with my permission. Apparently, it had been a payer error rather than a bank mistake. They let me keep the interest, however.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline gep

Reply #163 on: February 06, 2010, 07:22:34 PM
Well, a few years ago, my bank called me to ask if I wanted the recent deposit into my current account to be placed temporarily on the money markets pending my investment decision. I knew not of what they were talking, so they got a little suspicious and asked if I was aware of a substantial sum having been deposited there the previous day, to which my answer was (I don't know what you mean by "substantial", but if you mean more than a hundred pounds, the answer is no". At that point, seeing that it was my account, the bank advised me that an amount of - well, I cannot now recall the precise sum but it was a little over three quarters of a million pounds - had been deposited there and they could not identify its source as it had been a cash payment. I then tried to get back up off the floor and said "what, if anything, can I do or do you want me to do?" They said "nothing", but if you believe that this sum was not destined for your account, we will take note of that and investigate it as far as possible. They also confirmed that, should its source and/or intended destination not be ascertained after six months, it may be that I would be allowed to keep it. What can one say to that? Three weeks later, the error was indeed identified and the money removed from my account with my permission. Apparently, it had been a payer error rather than a bank mistake. They let me keep the interest, however.

Best,

Alistair
Ah, I wondered where that money had gone those three weeks! Glad that has been cleared up now...
In the long run, any words about music are less important than the music. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not worth talking to (Shostakovich)

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #164 on: February 06, 2010, 07:31:30 PM
Ah, I wondered where that money had gone those three weeks! Glad that has been cleared up now...
!!!

Sorry to spoil the effect and very many thanks for your most kind consideration, but I have to disappoint you and perhaps other members reading this thread by declaring that I did not know of you when this happened to me!...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline m19834

• PS Silver Member
Reply #165 on: February 06, 2010, 11:10:32 PM
What you should have done was to deduct a few dollars for your time and trouble.

Then you would have felt less annoyed and you would have messed up their accounts.

Thal

I was actually tempted to open the envelope back up and write another check after I read your post, haha.  But then, I imagined them calling me at some point over the few dollars, and them asking me to write *another* check.  I could write that one for a dollar, mail it, have them call me again about owing them a couple of dollars, write them a check for another dollar and keep on going until I end up using a bunch of checks and envelopes and stamps and I am writing them a check for a fraction of 1 cent.  ahhhh ... it's somehow satisfying to have at least written that out and imagined it  ;D.  No doubt I would end up in jail somehow though.

I cannot now recall the precise sum but it was a little over three quarters of a million pounds - had been deposited there and they could not identify its source as it had been a cash payment.

Best,

Alistair

Wow !  That's pretty crazy !!  I'm glad you got to keep the interest at least :).  

That makes me think that I could've had the University call the bank and then the bank could've called me and asked my permission to remove the money that had been deposited.  I bet that would've worked and then the University would have had to have done the footwork and not me !!  hmph.  But, really, I got over being annoyed and actually whited out the red-pen message I had put on the envelope before I sent it into the mailbox  :P.  As far as I know, the saga is over and I guess I see where that particular curiosity led me !

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #166 on: February 07, 2010, 01:26:21 AM
If they can put money in, they can take it back out, esp considering it's an error.  I've had that happen.  

I would let the money sit there and see how long it take them to figure it out.  It's some amusement then, possibly interest, but no work on my part.

What you really should do -- Cut them off from access to your bank account.  Nothing in or out.  Someone at the organization might realize the mistake and directly withdraw the money from your account and then they'll cash your check too.  After I've left jobs, I've called the bank to cut that employer off from access to my account. 

I did have something similar happen once.  I got paid extra, a check just showed up one day.  When I called about it, the secretary b**** at me about it -- Apparently it was my fault I was being paid and not their error.  So I kept it.  It was under $50.  Not a big deal.  I consider it gets balanced out by the times I get screwed out of money.  There's about $50 moving around +/- for or against me.  The ones in my favor I remember when I realize the ones that aren't.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline gep

Reply #167 on: February 07, 2010, 11:05:21 AM
!!!

Sorry to spoil the effect and very many thanks for your most kind consideration, but I have to disappoint you and perhaps other members reading this thread by declaring that I did not know of you when this happened to me!...

Best,

Alistair
Well, it was joke, of course! I'd have noticed if I had put a bit over 1 million Euro's in the wrong account. And I dare say my bank would have noticed if I put that sum into any account, especially if I did so in cash!
Weird story, really! Did you ever find out where that bagatelle came from? Some type in an  Italian suit and black spectacles carrying a suitcase and a violin case, stating "Dies ies Don Silvio's, wee will be back for it in zree wieks!"?
In the long run, any words about music are less important than the music. Anyone who thinks otherwise is not worth talking to (Shostakovich)

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #168 on: February 12, 2010, 10:31:56 AM
Talking about money I once almost won 1st division lotto. In Australia Saturday Lotto you need to get 6 numbers selected from 1-45. The draw has 6 numbers and 2 sups, I got 5 numbers and 1 sup :( Still the 10+ grand came in handy, if I hit the last number I would have got over 1 million.

Talking about lotto, one of my close friends mothers brother won lotto and gave each of his immediate family members about $200,000. 2 years later his uncle became bankrupt and asked for the money back, my mates mum gave the money back!!!!! what!!!!! lol
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline point of grace

• PS Silver Member
Reply #169 on: February 20, 2010, 05:35:37 PM
i took legal actions against the most important newspaper in my country
Learning:

Chopin Polonaise Op. 53
Brahms Op. 79 No. 2
Rachmaninoff Op. 16 No. 4 and 5

Offline m19834

• PS Silver Member
Reply #170 on: March 03, 2010, 04:56:50 PM
One Summer a number of years ago, I was a camp counselor at an outdoor camp for girls.  It was in Canada, where there are huge banana slugs.  One trip that we took was to canoe to an island in the Sound and sleep out in the rough.  We were basically sleeping on the ground outside.  I woke up in the middle of the night and smelled something fishy and as I 'came to' I felt a giant slug on my face/neck and a couple in my hair ... haha.  Actually, not that cool !  In the morning, girls were waking up with slugs on their faces and heads ... hee hee.

Offline camstrings

• PS Silver Member
Reply #171 on: March 05, 2010, 06:59:18 PM
Piano has taken a back seat.
Playing/teaching harp is the new craze here in Southern England!

Offline mephisto

• PS Silver Member
Reply #172 on: March 07, 2010, 11:40:06 AM
i took legal actions against the most important newspaper in my country

Care to elaborate?

Offline synthex

• PS Silver Member
Reply #173 on: March 08, 2010, 11:06:20 PM

Offline chopin1993

• PS Silver Member
Reply #174 on: March 13, 2010, 08:23:15 PM
I went to a concert of Yundi Li yesterday
It was amazing  ;D

Offline point of grace

• PS Silver Member
Reply #175 on: March 15, 2010, 01:00:46 PM
Care to elaborate?

mmm hehe maybe some of these days
Learning:

Chopin Polonaise Op. 53
Brahms Op. 79 No. 2
Rachmaninoff Op. 16 No. 4 and 5

Offline liordavid

• PS Silver Member
Reply #176 on: July 26, 2010, 12:06:09 AM
I am from the planet Omicron Persei 8. I bet no one knew that.
Two following Greek letters. Also a planet in the TV series Futurama

Offline liordavid

• PS Silver Member
Reply #177 on: July 26, 2010, 12:08:22 AM
I do the all the scales and arpeggios every time I practice.
Thats a waist of time

Offline liordavid

• PS Silver Member
Reply #178 on: July 26, 2010, 12:36:38 AM
did you know that I get extremely bored when I read a post that is over seven sentences. This is why I almost never read Alistair's posts. No Offense

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #179 on: July 26, 2010, 05:12:51 AM
did you know that I get extremely bored when I read a post that is over seven sentences. This is why I almost never read Alistair's posts. No Offense

Well, that explains why you don't like Die Walkerie. No Offense
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #180 on: July 26, 2010, 07:32:10 AM
in most cases over five sentences. same

dignity, love and joy.

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #181 on: July 26, 2010, 07:47:24 AM

interestingly, i get bored reading one book in one period of time, whereas five books or more would be the ideal
dignity, love and joy.

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #182 on: July 26, 2010, 08:34:22 AM
I have to always be doing something different throughout the day....
whether it be reading a book, playing piano or violin, I get restless and so my
attention span isn't as long.   8)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #183 on: July 26, 2010, 10:40:27 AM
I almost never read Alistair's posts. No Offense

Sometimes he is worth the effort, but mostly not ;D

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #184 on: July 27, 2010, 04:27:40 AM
I therefore presume that the number of books or even newspaper articles that you read is extremely small. Your prerogative, of course. Your admission nevertheless tells some of us what we either didn't need to know or didn;t want to know or both. No offence.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #185 on: July 27, 2010, 04:30:58 AM
As in same as for liordavid above, only even more so (or less so, depending on one's point of view on the subject is one can be bothered to have one). How tds. No offence.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #186 on: July 27, 2010, 05:48:10 AM
ouch!

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #187 on: July 27, 2010, 07:24:29 AM
As in same as for liordavid above, only even more so (or less so, depending on one's point of view on the subject is one can be bothered to have one). How tds. No offence.

Best,

Alistair

people with half the brain should be able to get the fact right: books and newspaper are NOT exactly forum posts. oh and btw, did you even read my succeeding post? a no hint ahinton. no offence
dignity, love and joy.

Offline gep

Reply #188 on: July 27, 2010, 08:18:14 AM
This is an example of the increasing superficiallity and shallowness that is rampand in current society. Of course, you're free to avoid anything that might take a dangerous amount of reading, let alone thinking, but it's your loss, really. But unfortunately the alarmingly increasing level of general desinterest of anything and everything needing the application of a braincell and the increasing demand to be entertained (rather than take the trouble of entertaining oneself) on an increasingly depraved level coupled with the shrinking of the average attention span to below that of a new born chicken is having its devesating effect.
I trust you don't like music that is more than 7 minutes (or even bars) long?

Taking out Alistair specifically here while there are any number of posts over 7 sentences long posted by others (many if not most of rather less interest) could be called offensive!

books and newspaper are NOT exactly forum posts.
Indeed so. I try to read books that are considerably above the average level of Forum posts and also try to find newspapers that are not too abismally below them...

that explains why you don't like Die Walkerie.
The dame in question is a Walküre, but your point is valid.

gep

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #189 on: July 27, 2010, 08:21:40 AM
You forgot "no offense".  ;)

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #190 on: July 27, 2010, 08:30:09 AM
people with half the brain should be able to get the fact right: books and newspaper are NOT exactly forum posts.
Whilst I do not recall suggesting that they are (any more than I suggested that you have half a brain), this fact hardly undermines, let alone invalidates, the point as made.

oh and btw, did you even read my succeeding post?
The full answer to that question is that I did indeed do so and, as I did not notice it succeeding, I felt that it did not merit comment, thereby saving you at least one sentence to have to read or decide against reading.

To return to the matter which you and liordavid have raised, however, there is a limit to the number of characters available on some fora (including this one) that can be included in any one post (I cannot recall what it is on this one, but that's neither here nor there, really). However, whilst the number of characters and/or the word count of any one post is obviously indicative of its length, the lengths of individual sentences within it are another matter and I suspect that you and possibly also liordavid may have similar problems with reading some posts with but a single sentence if that sentence length happens not to meet your own personal criteria for such things. That's just too bad, however, for one important fact of which you appear to take insufficient recognition is that members' posts here are made for other readers besides you, liordavid and those others (if any) who may happen to share your views on modes of expression in English. That is your prerogative, of course, but while you may therefore desist from reading certain posts, others will not.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #191 on: July 27, 2010, 08:32:30 AM
You forgot "no offense".  ;)
Are you so sure that he "forgot"?(!)...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #192 on: July 27, 2010, 10:17:38 AM
 :-X

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #193 on: July 27, 2010, 11:31:17 AM
Very good from gep and hinty, but both responses are over 7 sentences and are therefore unlikely to be read by the intended recipients;D

Bollox (no offence)

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #194 on: July 27, 2010, 10:39:39 PM
Very good from gep and hinty, but both responses are over 7 sentences and are therefore unlikely to be read by the intended recipients;D
If that's anyone's problem, it's theirs, not ours; frankly, had either response been reduced to less than seven (or five, depending on which of the two members one might have been trying to please, patronise or merely respond to) without actually removing any of the text or the meaning that such text had been intended to convey, I doubt very much (as I implied earlier) that it would have made any difference in terms of the extent, if any, to which either liordavid or tds would have read them.

Bollox (no offence)
Never having experienced a direct encounter with any of your banjos, let alone your bollox, there would be no reason why I would seek to take offence at the latter.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #195 on: July 28, 2010, 03:33:40 PM
that explains why you don't like Die Walkerie.

'Twas a quote!

You know Die Walkerie well. :o :o BTW as much I love opera, Die Walkerie is the worst opera ever. The overture is very unsophistocated. No Offense :) Not only that but is followed by a recitatave that is long and puts you to sleep. here is a link to the overture so you can see how bad it is

&NR=1
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline liordavid

• PS Silver Member
Reply #196 on: August 16, 2010, 03:27:37 PM
This is an example of the increasing superficiallity and shallowness that is rampand in current society. Of course, you're free to avoid anything that might take a dangerous amount of reading, let alone thinking, but it's your loss, really. But unfortunately the alarmingly increasing level of general desinterest of anything and everything needing the application of a braincell and the increasing demand to be entertained (rather than take the trouble of entertaining oneself) on an increasingly depraved level coupled with the shrinking of the average attention span to below that of a new born chicken is having its devesating effect.
I trust you don't like music that is more than 7 minutes (or even bars) long?

Taking out Alistair specifically here while there are any number of posts over 7 sentences long posted by others (many if not most of rather less interest) could be called offensive! This is really hilarious to  see that you all think I am non intellectual and therefor stupid. Oh and by the way I am not in high school and yet I still chose to study for the SAT's and yes I listen to a lot of sophistocated classical music WAY over seven bars long. I just don't read a lot
Indeed so. I try to read books that are considerably above the average level of Forum posts and also try to find newspapers that are not too abismally below them...

gep

Offline liordavid

• PS Silver Member
Reply #197 on: August 17, 2010, 08:09:33 PM
do distract this thread of overly intellectuals, I will say that I do as a matter of fact have Asperger Syndrome

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #198 on: October 15, 2010, 03:47:21 AM
Once I got myself momentarily trapped in a reflection in the mirror.  I had a couple of mirrors adjusted in such a way that my reflection was infinite, and I looked so far into it that something happened and I got lost and trapped and had to "find my way out" again.  Of course, it all took place in a couple of moments and I wasn't actually trapped, but for a moment I could imagine I was and I felt like it really happened.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #199 on: October 15, 2010, 06:19:08 AM
Once I got myself momentarily trapped in a reflection in the mirror.  I had a couple of mirrors adjusted in such a way that my reflection was infinite, and I looked so far into it that something happened and I got lost and trapped and had to "find my way out" again.  Of course, it all took place in a couple of moments and I wasn't actually trapped, but for a moment I could imagine I was and I felt like it really happened.
Are you quite certain that it wasn't K that you saw in that mirror?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert