Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Bach prelude in D minor.  (Read 5013 times)

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Bach prelude in D minor.
on: October 02, 2009, 03:33:55 PM
Hey, I find bach quite difficult to play well, but here is an attempt. Thanks for listening.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach prelude in D minor.
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 06:09:53 PM
This to me epitomizes the kind of Bach playing we hear these days.  You play it very much 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 and there is little texture.  All the notes sound even (I mean in volume), which is not pleasant to the ear.  It makes it sound stodgy and stiff.  There should be texture in the way you play a Bach line, it should have an inner narrative that is not necessarily related to the temporal, linear progression of the notes.

Unfortunately I am not at my computer where I have Sibelius.  In a few days though, if I remember, I will load this score into Sibelius, and then edit it to show you exactly what I mean.  I have a feeling you will find my approach useful.  In the meantime, I would urge you to look much deeper at relations of notes that are not necessarily right next to each other, but still have consequences for the form, and for the way it sounds.

Walter Ramsey

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 05:46:10 PM
You see, my playing is always wisheeeeeee  washeeeeee, I wanted something more tick tok.

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 07:03:42 PM
I love Bach!   My kind of music.  I have learned this piece and you have kept
the tempo steady, however, lighten up as you play some of the inner voices
and not make them all sound the same and clunky.  Bach can be played quite
musical with each voice being more prominent than the other. 
You play piano very well and have an inner feel about music in itself.  Be
happy with your abilities to play this well and thank you for sharing!   :)

best wishes,

go12_3
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 09:00:53 PM
Thanks for listening, like I said I find Bach very difficult to play, also Bach wrote for the Harpsichord so basically if one wants to hear how Bach would have played this piece then one should really play on a Harpsichord. For this reason I believe Bach is a  controversial composer.
I could if I wanted to to play in a more shall we say modern way, but I chose not to in this instance.
Thanks for you kind comment,

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 09:35:53 PM
Thanks for listening, like I said I find Bach very difficult to play, also Bach wrote for the Harpsichord so basically if one wants to hear how Bach would have played this piece then one should really play on a Harpsichord. For this reason I believe Bach is a  controversial composer.
I could if I wanted to to play in a more shall we say modern way, but I chose not to in this instance.
Thanks for you kind comment,

You are welcome.    :)
I enjoy listening to Bach----more organized and not so "romantic"!   He doesn't seem to do much repetitive passages throughout his pieces.  I love the twists and turns of the voices though.  Yes, even though his music was played on the harpsichord, the touch can still be articulate and done with a separate and light touch upon the modern day keyboard, unless it's a digtal keyboard which has an entirely different key action.   
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert