Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Chopin etude op. 10 no. 5 "Black Keys"  (Read 18549 times)

Offline evansmiley

• PS Silver Member
Chopin etude op. 10 no. 5 "Black Keys"
on: November 13, 2009, 06:28:40 PM
Hi this is my dodgy attempt at playing Black Keys etude op.10 no 5 by Chopin. This is the first piece I have tried of this difficulty, I'm 15, and I'd love some advice, because I know it's definitely far from perfect.  ;D ;D

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin etude op. 10 no. 5 "Black Keys"
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 07:24:11 PM
dodgy indeed :p
You're obviously playing it way too fast, you really shouldnt be playing it like this because you'll mess the piece up. And its alot harder to unlearn bad habits than learning it right.
1+1=11

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 02:57:37 AM
Hi evan,

You're getting the hang of the etude, but some of the passagework is ragged, and you slow the tempo when encountering technical difficulties in execution.  Probably you should slow the entire piece down now.  Isolate and do intensive practicing on the rough spots, then integrate them back into the piece at this slower tempo.  Play the piece through with your metronome. If you stumble in some places, slow the piece down even more and do additional intensive and careful work on the remaining problem measures.  Reintegrate them again and play through at that slower speed with metronome.  If unsuccessful, drop the speed down again.  Once successful, switch over to metronome drills, whereby you will gradually increase the tempo only one or two notches at a time.  Once you stumble, stop, and back off the tempo again.  Use this strategy over a couple of weeks, and you should be able to iron out the wrinkles and steadily increase tempo to your desired speed without making errors.  The end goal of this is NOT to play the piano in a metronomic manner, but rather with artistry.  Thus, this practice approach is aimed solely at methodically increasing speed, nothing more than that. 

By speeding it up in very small increments, you're actually trying to fool the brain into not noticing any change.  There'll be some advancing and retreating as you do that, but over the longer term, you'll become more proficient and closer to your goal.  Don't forget though, accuracy of playing is FAR more important than speed.  Never play any piece at a tempo that exceeds your technical abilities. Tempo is a relative thing, and you can adjust it to you own abilities and needs.  You have a lot of potential in my opinion.  Keep practicing!  
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.

Offline hardybar

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 02:17:55 PM
Get that piano TUNED!!

Offline ponken

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 06:09:31 PM
Hi Evan! In my opinion, I think you should play it very slowly and speed it up little by little. I agree with rachfan. You should practise this piece to your metronome slowly, then faster, faster and faster. Don't play it faster than you are comfortable with. I am not a concert pianist but this is how I would practise it. I'm glad you attemped this piece. I don't think you sounded too bad. With a lot of practise you will have an excellent rendition of this piece. Don't give up and don't listen to any discouraging comments that some people make.

GOOD LUCK! :)

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 08:46:06 PM
Yes. Don't work like an amateur (I don't mean to be harsh) and think you'll be able to play it in a week. Practice slooowly, and one hand each, and only a few bars at the time.

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 06:01:01 AM
I was going to offer advice but since this is has obviously been sped up electronically, I will wait to offer advice until an honest recording is offered.  ::)
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 09:48:48 AM
I was going to offer advice but since this is has obviously been sped up electronically, I will wait to offer advice until an honest recording is offered.  ::)

IS it that obvious? To me it sounds like somebody tries playing it very fast without having the technique.
1+1=11

Offline ponken

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 10:14:24 AM

I am sure he will be happy for that comment. :)

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 06:48:24 PM
                 ___/\___
                 ___I___I___/

Offline ponken

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 05:40:47 AM

I love this:

___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 10:16:41 AM
I love this:

___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

It's my ROFLCOPTER!  8)
                 ___/\___
                 ___I___I___/

Offline musicsminion

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 12:15:22 AM
dodgy indeed :p
You're obviously playing it way too fast, you really shouldnt be playing it like this because you'll mess the piece up. And its alot harder to unlearn bad habits than learning it right.

You might think that you're giving him constructive critisism, but mostly it just sounds like you're saying you think he sucks (frankly, thats how it seems)

I think he plays exceptionally well, especially for his age. Goodness! I can only hope I will play like that when I am fifteen!  ;D

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 08:04:44 AM
I think he plays exceptionally well, especially for his age. Goodness! I can only hope I will play like that when I am fifteen!  ;D
And that is constructive? All you do is saying "No, it's good to have bad habits. people hwho doesn't like it are suckers"

Offline ponken

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 06:22:59 PM
And that is constructive? All you do is saying "No, it's good to have bad habits. people hwho doesn't like it are suckers"

I read musicsminon's comment twice and she/he didn't say "No, it's good to have bad habits. people hwho doesn't like it are suckers" anywhere. Secondly gyzzzmo may be right in what he said in his comment but it could have been said in a much nicer and encouraging way. The "Very dodgy indeed" comment was really unnecessary. Thirdly musicsminon's comment may not be constructive but maybe he/she doesn't have the skills to give constructive critism and just enjoyed the piece. If you are not an experienced pianist you tend not to hear the mistakes in a piece well. If he/she sincerely thought that performance was good then his/her opinion is welcome as well. :)

Offline thorrian

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 07:54:40 PM
lol, i don't know tons about music but this definitely sounds sped up electronically, makes me laugh because it's so fast hehe

Offline ponken

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: April 23, 2010, 08:35:17 PM
lol, i don't know tons about music but this definitely sounds sped up electronically, makes me laugh because it's so fast hehe

I can say almost certainly that it is not sped up electronally. :)

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 10:07:27 PM
I can say almost certainly that it is not sped up electronally. :)

My suspicion is that it is.  Too many places are superhuman fast starting from nowhere (easy to do when you speed up electronically).

Also, Evensmiley has asked for advice but has yet to respond to anything and it has been 6 months.  I find that suspect as well.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but since he's not here to respond even though he wanted advice, makes me wonder.

Best,
Josh
                 ___/\___
                 ___I___I___/
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert