Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: How much freedom would you give up for security?  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
How much freedom would you give up for security?
on: December 30, 2009, 11:43:25 PM
And which ones?
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline alessandro

• PS Silver Member
Re: How much freedom would you give up for security?
Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 09:57:50 AM
You're a bit of thinker, aren't you Bob ?

Nice question.

I really do appreciate the fact that I have a frontdoor in our house, I lock that door when I go to bed. (Another thing that I really enjoy doing is the ceremonial feeling of closing the curtains and I like the comfort and the nest-feeling of the house with closed curtains.)

But I think that true freedom needs no security, just as I think that there's no need for war to have peace.

Best wishes to everyone.     

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 12:33:28 PM
I think it depends upon which aspect of freedom you are inferring to....
Given the last episode of the terrorist in a jet plane recently, indeed, I would prefer the  security even though it makes travelling more inconvenient~~
better to be safe than being blown up by a bomb, hummm.....but, who is safe anyhow???
No matter where we go it takes risk and who knows, anyone could die no matter what
the circumstances are...in being free or not~~
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 04:28:52 PM
Yes, after the latest one. I was thinking to me it's really not that big of a deal for a full body scan. 

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 11:53:22 PM
No it's not a big deal. I've done it often.

The real question is whether any of these measures are effective. When that Nigerian guy went through Schipol he was checked by several security people and got by them all, even an ICE detachment stationed there. Seems incredible.

The problem is that this system is operated by humans. Getting us to do the same thing over and over the same way is very difficult. We get bored. Some of us want to the great detective from a novel and spot the culprit on a hunch. Real security is not that easy.

Telling the public to report "suspicious persons or packages" or gate personal to "be on the look out for.." is not helpful because it requires a value judgment.

The traveling public, especially the international part will be in for another round of delays, inconveniences and the like, for a long time to come.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline michel dvorsky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 11:24:48 PM
This isn't the kind of question you'd expect to find on a piano forum; indeed, it's quite a lot more interesting than what one normally gets around here.

I think that freedom receives top priority in the most livable and successful societies.  Freedom is only restricted in order to prevent others, including criminals, madmen, and foreign enemies, from impinging on the freedom of others.  So I think society ought to have inalienable rights for freedom enshrined in a constitution, and on top of that any limits on freedom are merely controls that lead ultimately to the protection of freedom.
"Sokolov did a SH***Y job of playing Rachmaninoff's 3rd Piano Concerto." - Perfect_Pitch

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 12:33:27 AM
Maybe it's that people would choose to give up some rights in order to protect themselves.  That type of distinction.  I really don't care if someone needs some information about me or needs to scan me before a flight.  It's not a big deal.  And if it means the idiots can't get on the plane, great.

Offline loonbohol

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 08:40:48 AM
Well they say that freedom is not free
All Hail Kajiura
All Hail Nilsjohan
Welcome to Merville.
Land of Utopia

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 08:35:26 PM
I think we should ride airplanes naked: no underwear to hide bombs in.  It would give a lot of Americans the only incentive that would work to lose weight.  Think of the savings on health insurance! I got called a fat piggy American in Paris, and I have a 38 inch waist.  I didn't argue with him, those Parisians lose weight just dragging their food home in their roller suitcases on the subway.  If I could just learn to like wine instead of Little Debbies.  Oh, here in the midwest I don't lock my back door when I'm home.  My money is in my piano, it is too heavy to steal.  The last theif through thought my TV was too heavy to steal; he took the graphic equalizer and the VCR.  Ha, big loss $100.

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 06:29:49 AM
If you ever change that TV out better lock you back door! The new ones are less than 50#. Love your state, was through there in early Oct.

Back to the thread with the idea making it's way around the blogs to put a virtual US border with ICE agents right before you get on the plane to fly to the US. Wear anything you want but have the right answers to the questions..
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline term

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 12:18:46 PM
None. And the reasons are manifold: There is no such thing as a tradeoff, i have not recieved any such thing as freedom, i don't care about both threats and freedoms, 'Take a *** chance once in a while, will ya' (George Carlin), there is no threat to my life except when i walk on the street or smoke cigarettes, et al.
So there's no reason for me to trade anything, if there is nothing to trade and i am not being asked anyway.  ;D
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
"The only truth lies in learning to free ourselves from insane passion for the truth" - Eco
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert