Piano Forum

Poll

I'd like any homework, perhaps with notes, or reading music.

Send it on the forum,
5 (83.3%)
Send it to my email?
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: New To This Beautiful Instrument  (Read 2161 times)

Offline fortissimo4

• PS Silver Member
New To This Beautiful Instrument
on: February 19, 2010, 03:43:47 AM
Hello, First A Little About Myself, I'm 19 years old and I've been trying to play the guitar for a while, until I realized it's not my instrument, didn't feel right holding it, The other day, my brother bought me a piano, as soon as I lay fingers on the keys, I had a huge heatwave go across my whole body, I loved it, It's been 6 days now, and I'm very committed to this instrument, I've been going on "Youtube" and observing some of the lessons, I've so far understood how to play the intro for "Requiem for a dream" and a bit of "Amazing Grace" , I'm here asking if there is anyone out there willing to guide me, and give me some "Homework" if you will, something to practice and get my fingers rollin' if you will. I feel as if I can bare my soul into this instrument, that it can express how I'm feeling. I will much appreciate some help "I cannot afford a teacher due to I pay rent and also pay for my school" so the teacher is out of the question.

Again, Will be much appreciated, Thank You all for taking this time to read this.

M.

Offline shadowzerg

• PS Silver Member
Re: New To This Beautiful Instrument
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 03:29:17 PM
Hey, man. I'm a self taught pianist as well and I've reached some pretty high points. I had a cousin teach me to read sheet music(VERY HELPFUL!) and I took it from there. Just pick pieces you like and try to learn them. Don't worry about difficulty or anything like that, go for fun. I've been playing for 9 months and have conquered pieces like Chopin's Waltz op64 nr2 so it's definitely possible. Have fun :)!

Offline prometheus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 10:15:29 AM
st?p=253192EED47525A8&annotation_id=annotation_540734&feature=iv

Most important thing is knowing how to learn something and knowing how to practice.

Second most important thing is discipline and a good practice regime you will be able to maintain for a long long time.
"As an artist you don't rake in a million marks without performing some sacrifice on the Altar of Art." -Franz Liszt

Offline eko_qui

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 02:48:25 AM
I can totally relate, to your situation. I am 21 and have just recently started playing piano.  I have enjoyed played guitar for the last few years, but recently have found that piano comes to me much more naturally.  I love playing, and I don't get as frustrated practicing as I did with guitar. The days just seem to fly by practicing scales, arpeggios, and of course some favorite songs. Best of luck to you friend.  :)

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 07:00:46 PM
Always mix it up!  Don't practice too much of the same thing, or it'll quickly become tedious.  Once you get comfortable enough with your scales (one thing you should always keep up), try improvising with them.  See what monster you can create from a C major scale pair with some triads.  Time goes by really quickly with that, and you are having fun with the really technical parts of practicing.

Don't sit forever practicing a song that is too difficult for you.  If you sit for a few hours, and keep getting stuck at the beginning, wait a month or so and come back to it. 

Good luck though, it's an awesome instrument  ;)
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline deus_ex_machina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 09:48:30 AM
i started playing piano when i was 12 years old, but i stopped. it was just for 1 summer though. nonetheless, i know piano has always been my instrument even back then. so now, i'm 20 and i'm trying to play the instrument again and it seems i'm back to being a newbie again. :))
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert