Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: [video] Mozart sonata in a-minor, mvt 1  (Read 2849 times)

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
[video] Mozart sonata in a-minor, mvt 1
on: February 21, 2010, 04:42:02 AM
Sound-quality is about as primitive as it can get, and totally without dynamics:), and picture is not really excellent, but I thought I'd try posting a video... any likes/dislikes? Thanks!

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Re: [video] Mozart sonata in a-minor, mvt 1
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 06:19:23 AM
The sound did not bother me. The performance definitely speaks, so worry not about the recording. And what a dark, dramatic performance it is! I love how sonata form treats a minor key...that the B theme first presented in a major key as a contrast, a respite to the A theme comes back in the minor key in the recapitulation...a tragic element. In this particular sonata, this change in the B theme benefits from the particularly stormy progression of the development leading to an emphatic restatement of the opening theme in the recapitulation. It all speaks so well in this recording, which also displays a little romantic freedom and lyricism. Well done!  :)
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 07:13:08 AM
Splendid playing, Danilo!  I've never cared for this sonata, but after hearing
your rendition, I've been practically transported over that gulf.  It's nice to see you back in
the audition room. :)
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 07:25:36 AM
Well, this was certainly a big difference from the last movement!  Very well played.  Even some of those arbitrary ritards ALMOST convinced me!  You've inspired me to take this magnificent sonata up again.  My favorite.
Again, though, I would advise you to make sense of some of that fingerwork in the right hand.  Make those passages go somewhere.  Sometimes they sounds static because of the same color and dynamic.
I enjoyed the development and return to the ricapitulation best of all.
Bravo!

Offline daniloperusina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 03:39:17 AM
Very nice comments! :) Thanks!

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 04:24:27 AM
Hi danilo,

I have to admit that I've have played very little Mozart over the years, so would hesitate to critique in any detail.  I did enjoy listening to your rendition of the sonata though.  Your performance is stylistically in good taste and certainly a pleasure to hear.  Very fine playing!

Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert