Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: 5 recordings that changed your life!  (Read 6239 times)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Re: 5 recordings that changed your life!
Reply #50 on: June 25, 2011, 06:42:45 PM
How can one define a piece as being life changing? There are some pieces which are extremely close to my heart, yet I'd be reluctant to say any of them truly "changed my life".

It's difficult to define in words, of course, yet for me there is a definite difference between recordings and performers and pieces that I enjoy and even love, and then those who have actually changed my life (yet I may love these, too).  For it to change my life, I experience it as a particular connection which goes beyond sound, though obviously sound is there, too.  But, I feel a connection with the performer in a way that is something like seeing through their own eyes, and almost as though they are also seeing through mine, as well.  Every one on my list above has changed my life and in some ways it's been a similar kind of fundamental experience with each, but some have intoxicated me much more than others.  

I once said to a friend "You know when somebody just comes along in your life and then everything is just different, like they've somehow just changed your entire life just because you met them (...)" and I was going to continue, but she said "no, I don't."  :'(  I guess some people experience this and others don't.  I've definitely felt like meeting particular people have changed my life  :).  Of course, that doesn't mean life is over and there are no more challenges, but there's been something about meeting particular individuals ...
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline sordel

• PS Silver Member
Reply #51 on: June 25, 2011, 07:56:38 PM
It's difficult to define in words, of course, yet for me there is a definite difference between recordings and performers and pieces that I enjoy and even love, and then those who have actually changed my life (yet I may love these, too).

I think I would have found it difficult, but not impossible, to list five recordings that changed my perception of music, but I can't think of one that changed my life. I'm not sure that I'd want to be that influenced by something so external,
In the interests of full disclosure: I do not play the piano (at all).

Offline djealnla

• PS Silver Member
Reply #52 on: June 25, 2011, 08:42:06 PM
Never mind: There is one piece which changed my life. But I'm not going to mention it here (for personal reasons).

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #53 on: June 25, 2011, 09:19:05 PM
Hearing them do what? Speak? Play the banjo?
Hearing them "performing either Opus Archimagicum or Sequentia Cyclica", as I implied (and not on the banjo).

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #54 on: June 25, 2011, 09:21:03 PM
Horowitz playing the banjo would have changed my life.
Into what?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline djealnla

• PS Silver Member
Reply #55 on: June 26, 2011, 07:55:41 PM
Hearing them "performing either Opus Archimagicum or Sequentia Cyclica", as I implied

You did not.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #56 on: June 26, 2011, 10:45:57 PM
You did not.
Really? I wrote "Who can say what Horowitz, Petri or anyone else might have said or thought about performing - or hearing anyone else who might actually have been up to performing either Opus Archimagicum or Sequentia Cyclica?" so, in what I take to be the somewhat unlikely event that the missing dash (for which all due apologies) which should have appeared between the adjacent words "performing" and "either" threw you off the scent, it seems pretty clear to me that I did.

Not that any of this matters all that much, methinks...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline djealnla

• PS Silver Member
Reply #57 on: June 27, 2011, 02:04:20 AM
missing dash

That's not what I mean. Your sentence does not specify what they were supposed to hear. And if I had meant that, then you would have to specify what person(s) X might have been up to performing.

Offline nanabush

• PS Silver Member
Reply #58 on: June 28, 2011, 06:13:04 PM
Again, back on topic:

I'm going to add a few more.

-"Eruption" by Eddie Van Halen.  The 'Fantasie Impromptu' of rock guitar haha.  I honestly heard that when I was about 10 and loved it!

-Stephen Hough playing the Rachmaninoff Concerti.  Once when I had to cut my lawn, I had the time to listen to all four of them (my lawn is gigantic), and that was an experience... needless to say I got side tracked and the lawn didn't look too great :P
Interested in discussing:

-Prokofiev Toccata
-Scriabin Sonata 2

Offline costasimpson

• PS Silver Member
Reply #59 on: July 26, 2011, 06:55:39 AM
Celibidache conducting Brahms' German Requiem
Isabelle Faust playing Bach Partitas and Sonatas for solo Violin
Miles Davis' Kind of Blue
Martha Argerich playing Beethoven's Piano Concerto No.3 in C Minor
Igor Markevitch conducting Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring

But I think every CD I have ever listened to has affected me musically and emotionally. These 5 have probably influenced my musicality the most.

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #60 on: August 04, 2011, 08:47:45 AM
Igor Markevitch conducting Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring

Good call! Any of the three (at least) available recordings, indeed, from 1951, 1957 and 1961. I believe Stravinsky's personal favourite, towards the end of his life, was the 1951 recording. Damn fine conductor, Markevitch.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline countrymath

• PS Silver Member
Reply #61 on: August 10, 2011, 08:51:29 PM

• Mozart-Sonata KV310 - A minor

Offline jimbo320

• PS Silver Member
Reply #62 on: August 30, 2011, 02:42:21 PM
One major wow-factor in my life was the album 'Dark Side Of The Moon' by Pink Floyd.
Any solo by Rick Wakeman totally amazes me. Rodger Hodgson, Jim Brickman, Yanni, and John Tesh in that order...
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Music is art from the heart. Let it fly\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"...

Offline williampiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #63 on: September 03, 2011, 12:51:30 AM
1. Kevin Cole- Rhapsody in Blue by Gershwin
2. Quatuor Ludwig- Piano Quintet movement 3 by Franck
3. Vladimir Horowitz- Etude op. 8 no. 12 by Scriabin
4. Van Cliburn- Prelude op. 23 no. 7 by Rachmaninoff
5. Georges Cziffra- Sabre Dance by Khachaturian

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #64 on: October 17, 2011, 11:52:23 AM
Cziffra-Gnomenreigen
George Li- Liszt tarantella, Rachmaninoff concerto 2
Pollini- Chopin etudes
Janis- Rachmaninoff concertos 2 and 3
horowitz-Scriabin etude op 8 no 12
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #65 on: October 27, 2011, 11:25:11 AM
No 6: Moonlight sonata by wilhem kempff
Funny? How? How am I funny?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert