Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Who performed Liszt's 12 études d'éxécution transcendante in concert?  (Read 1787 times)

Offline end

• PS Silver Member
Hi,

I'm just curious. I know of Berezovksy, because I've seen it on Youtube.

So, do you know of another pianist who's performed all 12 in one concert?

I guess several people recorded them, but that's not what I'm asking.

Offline daro

• PS Silver Member
Ferruccio Busoni, and not just the transcendentals, but sometimes the 6 Paganini etudes along with them on the same program.

Offline end

• PS Silver Member
Thank you, Daro.

I've looked him up on the internet.

Anyone else??

Offline point of grace

• PS Silver Member
Arrau did. i downloaded the cd from taringa.net i think...
definitely not my favourite..
Learning:

Chopin Polonaise Op. 53
Brahms Op. 79 No. 2
Rachmaninoff Op. 16 No. 4 and 5

Offline minor9th

• PS Silver Member
Lazar Berman. There's a CD of an Italian concert when he played all 12 plus Rachmaninov's Moment Musicaux...and played Liszt's "Orage" as an encore!  https://www.qualiton.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=QILTD&Product_Code=IDI+6497%2F8&Category_Code=

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Tzimon Barto has made a habit of performing the set. Probably there are many others in addition to those mentioned. 
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
I heard John Ogdon play them in Auckland in 1967. He was a lather of sweat at the end. One trouser leg was stuck half way and he was unsteady taking a bow. I am so pleased now that I heard him at his best, I almost didn't go. He was unforgettable in the ones demanding a full sound - Chasse Neige, Harmonies du Soir and Vision - eclipsing any recordings I had of them. He produced an astonishing effect in Mazeppa by crushing all the grace notes in the last two fast variations - no attempt at flicking them at all. I have never heard anybody do that before or since - quite effective once you get used to it.

Next day the critic in the paper wrote really embarrassing comments about how Liszt's music was "bombastic" and "hollow". Funnily enough, twenty-four years later this critic rear-ended my Mini on the motorway and insisted on taking photos in case I diddled him with the insurance. Needless to say I wasted no time in telling him exactly what I thought of his musical understanding.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
I heard John Ogdon play them in Auckland in 1967. He was a lather of sweat at the end. One trouser leg was stuck half way and he was unsteady taking a bow. I am so pleased now that I heard him at his best, I almost didn't go. He was unforgettable in the ones demanding a full sound - Chasse Neige, Harmonies du Soir and Vision - eclipsing any recordings I had of them. He produced an astonishing effect in Mazeppa by crushing all the grace notes in the last two fast variations - no attempt at flicking them at all. I have never heard anybody do that before or since - quite effective once you get used to it.

Next day the critic in the paper wrote really embarrassing comments about how Liszt's music was "bombastic" and "hollow". Funnily enough, twenty-four years later this critic rear-ended my Mini on the motorway and insisted on taking photos in case I diddled him with the insurance. Needless to say I wasted no time in telling him exactly what I thought of his musical understanding.

Thanks Ted, I really enjoyed that.
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline prongated

• PS Silver Member

HAHAHA that's gold-as ted! ;) ;D

~~~

*smash!*

*klunk*

Critic: "Uh, sorry I rear-ended your car mate...uh, that's not too bad, so I'd better take pics and...hang on, here's my driver's license...now where's my insurance..."

ted: "Oh, you're that retarded music critic?! You remember 24 years ago you said John Ogdon's concert was full of hollow and bombastic music? Well let me tell you what music is! ..."

Mini: *sob sob* "My beautiful, beautiful bumper! Please hurry up and get the insurance sorted! I can't look like this in public for long!"

Offline rienzi

• PS Silver Member
I have heard these done 3 times in recital. As well as Berman and Ogdon, already mentioned above, Louis Kentner also played the lot in one go. Kentner's other selection was the Chopin 2nd Sonata, whereas Ogdon chose "Pictures at an Exhibition" and Berman Prokofiev's 8th Sonata on the occasions I heard them.

Offline tsaij

• PS Silver Member
steve drury's done it. (on a recital shared with cage's etudes australes...)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert