Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: date format for British?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
date format for British?
on: March 24, 2010, 03:21:30 PM
In the U.S. we do 3-24-2010.

Is the standard format for England 24-3-2010?
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline csharp_minor

• PS Silver Member
Re: date format for British?
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 03:50:00 PM
Yes that's correct. I would write todays date 24/3/10 :), I'm British. I didn't know the Americans did it differently.  

haha love your emoticons btw! practice harder! hahaha
...'Play this note properly, don’t let it bark'

Chopin

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 06:50:52 PM
Really? it's different in Britain and in U.S. ? cool :) I didn't know that! :) I mean I saw it written both ways but I didn't know why :) and it can be really confusing if it's a date like 3/2 then you can't know for sure what is a day and what a month   :-\ :) well i guess we write it more like the British in my country except like: 24.3. 2010 :)

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 10:51:11 PM
Yes, that's one thing the UK got right - the US system has no logic at all! The European system (10/3/24) makes sense too.

American spelling is mostly a (small) improvement on UK, though - no real reason why 'colour' needs that 'u', and 'sulfur' is more sensible than 'sulphur' - but then why 'physics' (in both countries) instead of 'fysics'? And Americans have got 'to practise' and 'practice' (noun) the wrong way as the analogy is with 'to devise' and 'device', which is the same as the UK.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 10:55:53 PM
The European system (10/3/24) makes sense too.

Huh? We write 24.03.'10

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 12:04:22 AM
Anyway you like it just fine until you want to date files saved on different dates. My file system and maybe yours sorts in numerical order so today is 20100324. At a glance I will know the latest recording.

I have a digital camera that drives me nuts. It dates 24-3-2010. The sort then is by the date of the day and all shots taken on the first day of any month in any year are together. So a painstaking rename of all the picture files as they are transferred to the computer has to be done or I will find nothing.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline cpessimist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 05:26:52 PM
This is actually an interesting topic, and I'd like to explain why the american system, as usual, is superior (I jest, but it really is a good system if you think about it!).  First, it makes sense that the most important information be read first--humans have a tendency to remember the first thing they were told better than things in the middle.  That's exactly what happens in the American system.  Why is the month the most important?  Well, the month will tell you the most information about what it is like outside.  You would never think to yourself "gee it's the 3rd, I better get out my winter clothes."  Of course, as time has progressed, what it's like outside has gotten less important, because of technology.  The year is completely arbitrary, and the day is only there so you can coordinate easily with other people.  So... I hope that clears everything up.  Go America.

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 11:06:08 PM
The European system (10/3/24) makes sense too.

Huh? We write 24.03.'10

Oh, yes, sorry, I know year/month/date is used somewhere but I should have known it's not anywhere in Europe. Not thinking. Um, Japan then, I suspect!
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 12:39:26 AM
Oh, yes, sorry, I know year/month/date is used somewhere but I should have known it's not anywhere in Europe. Not thinking. Um, Japan then, I suspect!

Anyway, the Brits sometimes love to act like they're not part of Europe ;D
I know it from my relatives there...and I am to an eighth actually British myself :P Lol

Offline pianistrick

Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 01:55:43 PM
This is actually an interesting topic, and I'd like to explain why the american system, as usual, is superior (I jest, but it really is a good system if you think about it!).  First, it makes sense that the most important information be read first--humans have a tendency to remember the first thing they were told better than things in the middle.  That's exactly what happens in the American system.  Why is the month the most important?  Well, the month will tell you the most information about what it is like outside.  You would never think to yourself "gee it's the 3rd, I better get out my winter clothes."  Of course, as time has progressed, what it's like outside has gotten less important, because of technology.  The year is completely arbitrary, and the day is only there so you can coordinate easily with other people.  So... I hope that clears everything up.  Go America.

Can't agree at all. I always know the month I'm in, after all it's there for about 30 days, but very often I need reminding of the day's date.
Secondly the Brit/European system is logical: the units progress in size: smallest-medium-biggest, (day-month-year). Clumsy Americans have to make do with a lopsided: medium-smallest-biggest.

The other system quoted: Year-Month-day is found in China and certain Asian countries.

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 02:47:05 PM
I think it's different everywhere. Some ppl writes year/month/day, some with "-" instead of "/"
and some with day/month/year.

However, today's date is 01/04-10 imo :P

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 02:10:27 AM
(Bob is wondering if Americans need to be reminded which month it is and that's why the month goes first.)  We're so busy we forget the month?
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 03:32:52 PM
Actually Bob, in America the real question is: will there be more month than money or more money than month?
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert