Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: Liszt Dante Sonata Urghhh!!  (Read 5169 times)

Offline chloebeethoven

• PS Silver Member
Liszt Dante Sonata Urghhh!!
on: April 24, 2010, 03:24:15 PM
 ;D Hi
I just started Liszt Dante Sonata and this is a really Liszt.
I tried to interpret this piece carefully but it's so hard for me.
Can anyone help me out here?

Liszt Dante Sonata,
How should I play to make it a beautiful piece of music ?
Help me!
Beethoven sonata no.30 op.109
Beethoven 32 variations WoO.80
Chopin Ballade No.1
Chopin Scherzo No.2
Schumann Abegg Variations

"Music is what you hear, it is right here."
-Chloe Ji Hee Kim

Offline stevebob

• PS Silver Member
Re: Liszt Dante Sonata Urghhh!!
Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 03:49:00 PM
If you just started working on the piece, isn't the stage of trying to interpret it or make it beautiful music still a long way off?

Dang, I spend weeks or even months in the process of acquiring muscle memory of the notes of a complex piece through repetition and deconstruction.  I thought most everybody did as well.  If you can leapfrog right over that long and often unmusical learning phase, more power to you!  (And if it's something you've learned and can share, please do so.)
What passes you ain't for you.

Offline lukyfela1

• PS Silver Member
Re: Liszt Dante Sonata Urghhh!!
Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 04:20:32 AM
do you have a teacher?
How long have you been playing, and if you are having difficulty with this sonata, then you should practice some of liszt's simpler melodies.
When I am having difficulty, I stop and analyze the passage that im having difficulty with.
I know when something doesn't sound good, and that is often, and what it demands is practice of that particular area.
LISZT is probably one of the hardest composers to master.
CHOPIN would be a good composer to use as practice.
sometimes when I am so frustrated, I'll take the music and copy on my copier just that part, and the entry to that part, and a little of the next stanza.
hope this helps.
It always helps if you know someone that you can practice with. Two or more minds are better than one.

lucky

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert