Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Debussy's "Reverie"  (Read 5860 times)

Offline simyl

• PS Silver Member
Debussy's "Reverie"
on: May 10, 2010, 05:24:35 AM
Hi there, has anyone played / listen to Debussy's "Reverie" before? Does anyone wants to share anything about this piece?

I am going to perform this piece in a piano competition on May 16. Here is the attached piece:

Sorry for the mistakes. Please feel free to criticize to help me perform better.

Thank you

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
Re: Debussy's "Reverie"
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 02:44:57 PM
Firstly I would like to begin my congratulating on completing this lovely piece. Here are my comments on your performance:

I am not sure if it is the recording quality, or the piano, but the in the beginning it says: "tres doux et tres expressif". To me your playing of the opening seems rather rigid. More attention could have been paid to the phrasing.

The tone colour could have been more varied, since you were playing the notes in the same way throughout the piece. For example, when LH takes the melody, I like to imagine cellos, and that the right hand is the flute.

The chords in the middle could have been playing with more unity. More contrast could be given here.

When the melody resurfaces again with the additional broken chords hovering above, the melody could have been brought out more. The 'un peu retenu' could have been made more obvious.

Overall, a very sound performance.

I wish you best of luck for your competition.
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert