Piano Forum

Chopin and His Europe - Warsaw Invites the World
Celebrating its 20th anniversary the festival “Chopin and His Europe” included the thematic title “And the Rest of the World”, featuring world-renowned pianists and international and national top ensembles and orchestras. As usual the event explored Chopin's music through diverse perspectives, spanning four centuries of repertoire. Piano Street presents a selection of concerts videos including an interview with the festival’s founder, Chopin Institute’s Stanislaw Leszczynski. Read more >>

Topic: Scarlatti  (Read 7002 times)

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Scarlatti
on: May 13, 2010, 09:24:03 AM
Did he write anything but his sonatas? I haven't played anything by him, and I was looking for something a bit longer, like 7-8 minutes... But I don't know where to look.

Some advice would be nice :)

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: Scarlatti
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 12:53:10 PM
As far as I know, he wrote nothing BUT sonatas.  Years and years ago, they used to group them into a suite of 4 or 5 pieces.  He wrote more than 550 of them, so there's lots of variety to choose from.

Offline mikey6

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 03:12:59 PM
There are sonatas that last around the 7 minute mark, some of the slow ones - have no idea of the k numebrs of the top of mjy head but look at the Pletnev disc for timings. 
I think there are some suites as well as the sonatas.
Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them.
Richard Strauss

Offline nagatomo

• PS Gold Member
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 05:47:35 PM
Hi.  I don't think Dominico Scarlatti has written much other than his Sonatas for keyboard.  I am not really aware of any...  They are often played in pairs (D major / D minor kind of thing) so I think the length of a "performance" might be around 7 minutes. :)

Offline ramseytheii

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 10:49:31 PM
Hi.  I don't think Dominico Scarlatti has written much other than his Sonatas for keyboard.  I am not really aware of any...  They are often played in pairs (D major / D minor kind of thing) so I think the length of a "performance" might be around 7 minutes. :)

Actually, D. Scarlatti has written a lot of music besides his keyboard sonatas.  I seem to have read, though I don't have a book on Scarlatti in my library and couldn't verify this on wikipedia, that in fact he did not even begin composing the sonatas until he was 50 years old.

Before that he wrote operas, cantatas, other church music, and symphonic music.  Most of this is unknown, and probably with good reason.  But, I would hazard that all those combined, are more of an output than his sonatas, which although there are 500-600 of them, he only wrote them during a short portion of his long life.

Walter Ramsey

Offline nagatomo

• PS Gold Member
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 04:26:26 PM
Thank you, Walter, for pointing out that Scarlatti's whole output was not just Keyboard Sonatas.  In fact, I knew that; what I meant was that he wrote "sonatas" for the keyboard, and not much forms if any.  Some of the sonatas are quite lyrical so that it could have sub-titles such as Aria, some of them are more in the style of dance...  I guess the title "sonatas" meant instrumental as oppose to "cantatas"...  I admit that I only play a handful of sonatas but I am re-discovering Scarlatti after many years without his music... (concentrating on Bach which I adore!!)

Offline cpessimist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 12:05:51 AM
Here's a list of sonatas that are about 7-8 minutes long on my itunes:

K213, K114, K147, K260, K282, K164, K439, K126, K 394, K501, K49 (this one is pretty delicious imo), K104 is 10 minutes on my itunes but some other performances of it are about 7.

Hope that's a good starting place. 

Or you can do what someone else suggested and play two 3 minute ones together.

Offline elliott101

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 04:05:44 PM
dose anyone know where i can find the L sonatas?

like L 483?
or L430?

thx.

Offline tb230

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 04:27:22 PM
The sonatas are assigned L# using a different catalog system, i.e. L483 = K322 and L430=K531.

Offline iratior

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 01:56:44 AM
While we're on the subject of Scarlatti, I'd like to say I think playing a lot of Scarlatti sonatas can do wonders to improve technique.  The nice thing about them is that, unlike Hanon, when you get done you have something worth listening to.  Try K. 141 and K. 421 for repeated notes, K. 299 for leaps back and forth, K. 44 and 54 for octaves, and K. 366 for sixths.  There's nothing like having a party at which copious Scarlatti is played.  It can really liven things up.

Offline kevinr

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 10:46:14 AM
dose anyone know where i can find the L sonatas?

like L 483?
or L430?

thx.

There is a table in the D. Scarlatti entry in the Grove Dictionary with gives the K number corresponding to each L number.

Offline kevinr

• PS Silver Member

Offline sagittaire

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 09:22:43 PM
I have been deceived that the sonata k 1 was not in the list. It is one of the beautiful one.
Could you add it please ?

sagittaire

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 09:40:53 PM
You can download sheet music for all the sonatas from the IMSLP site:
https://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Collections,_Domenico_Scarlatti

These have the L numbers, but you can convert on this page:
https://www.ne.jp/asahi/music/marinkyo/scarlatti/referenco.html.en

K1=L366

Offline rua1jr

• PS Gold Member
Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 10:39:40 PM
I don't understand why K25, the gorgeous F#minor sonata is missing from your list.

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 10:46:02 PM
im pretty sure i have a theme and variations by scarlatti somewhere in an old /vintage complilation score of various early/baroque works. i'll need to dig it out of my ottoman to verify but pretty sure its in there. i dont recall a catalogue number for it but i will do my best to describe it when i get it out.

edit. sorry it's by alessandro scarlatti not our dear pal d.

my bad.

Offline williampiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 03:09:20 AM
In case anybody is still interested, I just found quite a few pieces on IMSLP by him that are not sonatas.

I'd actually never seen these before until just today.

Edit: Sorry, I tried to embed the link, but it won't work. Just go to his IMSLP page, look under collections and click 'Book of 22 Pieces for Harpsichord and Piano'. There are a whole ton of different pieces, like Capriccios, Toccatas etc.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 06:33:17 AM
Didn't check out the link, but they must be just editions of his sonatas that have been given more descriptive names than just K or L numbers. Here "sonata" does not mean the same thing as the classical sonata form. We might as well call them "pieces".

Scarlatti wrote some vocal and orchestral music in his early days, but the 555 sonatas he wrote when he was older consist practically all of his keyboard works that has survived. Of course some of these pieces may have been written earlier, but were added to his sonata collections made for his royal patrons.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 06:51:32 AM
https://imslp.org/wiki/Book_of_22_Pieces_for_Harpsichord_and_Piano_(Scarlatti,_Domenico)

That's the link.

I must say they look more like suites (or parts therof) than his Sonatas. I'm no Scarlatti expert, so they may well have been published later as part of the Sonatas, but they don't look like any I've encountered (an admittedly small subset).

Well worth checking out.  I also note (with some pleasure) that there's a Fugue amongst them. I didn't know he could write one.  :D
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 07:15:49 AM
I must say they look more like suites (or parts therof) than his Sonatas. I'm no Scarlatti expert, so they may well have been published later as part of the Sonatas, but they don't look like any I've encountered (an admittedly small subset).

This is probably because when Longo published his edition he grouped them as suites, which they weren't originally. I looked briefly and even if I have only seen a fraction of his sonatas in print, I could recognize some immediately.

Well worth checking out.  I also note (with some pleasure) that there's a Fugue amongst them. I didn't know he could write one.  :D

If my memory is not failing me, he wrote 4 of them :)

EDIT: Can't trust my memory obviously, there are 5 of them:
K30, K41, K58, K93 and K 417

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 11:59:01 PM
EDIT: Can't trust my memory obviously, there are 5 of them:
K30, K41, K58, K93 and K 417

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D New Fugues (to me)  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

WOO HOO!!!!!

*rushes off to download 'em*
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline pianogirl13669

• PS Gold Member
Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 04:50:14 PM
Scarlatti is also new to me.  I need to pick something to work on but with 500+ sonatas, how does one choose?  I was thinking the other day that a Scarlatti recommendation project would be nice.  It could be like shopping.  "If you like playing Sonata K. _______, you may also like K._____ or K. _____."  Just a thought.
Sibelius - Romance Op. 24, No. 9
Liszt - Consolation No. 3 in D-flat
Chopin - Prelude Op. 28, No.15
Debussy - Claire de Lune
(What can I say?  I love D-flat!)

Offline mikeowski

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 05:04:17 PM
k455 is really beautiful.

Offline elenka

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 06:50:53 PM
I was thinking the other day that a Scarlatti recommendation project would be nice.  It could be like shopping.  "If you like playing Sonata K. _______, you may also like K._____ or K. _____."  Just a thought.

;D I totally agree with you, there should be some project like that, by the way did you choose the sonatas? we posted lot of suggestion in the topic you opened about Scarlatti
Anyway go to this page you will find the whole recording of Scarlatti's sonatas, but don't think they should be played at that speed, the pianist who performed them always exagerate with the speed of pieces

https://www.mp3classicalmusic.net/Composers/scarlatti.htm
Beethoven piano Sonata 26 op.81 "Les Adieux"
Bach WTC I n.14; II n.12, n.18
Chopin op.10 n.12
Rachmaninov prelude 12 in G#min op.32
Moscheles op.70 n. 15

Offline pianogirl13669

• PS Gold Member
Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 07:37:57 PM
I am not the OP I do wonder what the OP picked, as well.  I haven't chosen anything yet.  I do have a Scarlatti CD that I checked out of the library that I will be listening to on the drive home today.  I also plan to go back through the suggestions here before I choose.  What if I choose something and then find one I like better!  It's a horrible thing!
Debussy - Claire de Lune

Offline pianogirl13669

• PS Gold Member
Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 10:47:03 AM
So far, my faves are K. 429, K. 27, K. 426, K. 427.

*Edited to add: K. 19, K. 299, K. 466, K. 39.

I will likely start with K. 299 and then K. 466.

Christine
Debussy - Claire de Lune
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert