Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Mendelssohn: Fantasy in F# minor, Op. 28, Mvt. 1  (Read 4975 times)

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Mendelssohn: Fantasy in F# minor, Op. 28, Mvt. 1
on: May 31, 2010, 03:21:28 PM
I started this piece 3 days ago, so this is very much a work in progress. I made this recording mostly for my own edification, so it's not polished. My memory is still quite shaky so the climax is a mess (I played from memory until the last two pages because I didn't want to stop for page turns). And for some reason I lost the F# in the bass in the second measure of the opening sequence and where that sequence returns in major at the end... that doesn't usually happen. Nevertheless, I thought I would post for advice about interpretation and capturing the essence of the piece, so I don't stray too far :)
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.

Offline kelly_kelly

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mendelssohn: Fantasy in F# minor, Op. 28, Mvt. 1
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 10:03:10 AM
Anyone?
It all happens on Discworld, where greed and ignorance influence human behavior... and perfectly ordinary people occasionally act like raving idiots.

A world, in short, totally unlike our own.

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 08:39:09 AM
It's a shame none has commented yet. I would, but I don't know the piece very well so I can't give any advice at all, I'm afraid =/

Best of luck anyway!

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 05:08:10 PM
I think you're absolutely on the right track regarding this piece. And of course, if this is really played after only 3 days you must be a quite fast learner and/or sightreader.

So what I noticed: try to play the 32nd runs in the intro more even.
Make sure not to do accents on the second beat of the first M. of the Andante, that descending line should have rather a slight diminuendo.

In the Andante tempo 1 you play slower, but to me this doesn't fit, I would actually play Tempo 1

I think the reason why there have been not many comments here yet but a lot of comments on Slow_concie's recordings is unfortunately, that crazy butchering attracts more listeners than quality work and serious learning. Because the latter needs more work from the side of the commentator.
I also answer here to your question in that other thread of SCP because I don't want to give him more answers and attention. It's pointless anyway. If nobody at all would answer there he would eventually stop, I think. And either start serious practicing or disappear.

Good luck and keep us posted about the fantasy!! :)

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 05:59:05 PM
I am not listening with a score at the moment, and like others have said, I don't know the piece well (should that be a barrier?), though I have heard a few performances of it in the past - I've not yet warmed to this piece, though I do like Mendelssohn (I will in all likelihood warm to it soon!). I will say you are making music at this early stage in the processes. It is indeed very musical...you are obviously very musical.

I'll visit the score sometime later. 
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline steviesteps

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 08:17:50 PM
3 days and you've memorised all that? somehow im suspicious, but what you've done so far is excellent
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert