Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Dm Prelude #24 (fitting RH scales with LH notes)  (Read 5622 times)

Offline the romantic

• PS Silver Member
Hi all,

I'm learning this piece, and am having problems fitting the scales to the LH notes.  The first Fmaj ascending scale comes in bar 14.  I can play each hand separately, but even when playing slowly I can't quite understand how the two hands should fit together.

In a more simple piece of music, one might play 4 notes of a RH scale to every note in the left hand - that would be really easy to cope with!  Can anyone help with this problem?

Thanks!

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Dm Prelude #24 (fitting RH scales with LH notes)
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 12:55:27 AM
The ratios are flexible, and there is no exact measurement you need to follow.  You can use this to your advantage in shaping the phrase of the RH scale: pushing forward or pulling back.  Some sections of the run can have more notes per LH note than others.  
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline slow_concert_pianist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 03:54:46 AM
Correct quantum and you should avoid a muted approach. It is a work of great power and majesty. The left hand part is exceptional difficult to maintain with exquisite balance (as it should be presented) "at speed". This is one of the reasons I haven't made a presentation yet. The number 16 "presto con fuoco" sits well with the number 24 to ascertain the "mindset" of Chopin.
Currently rehearsing:

Chopin Ballades (all)
Rachmaninov prelude in Bb Op 23 No 2
Mozart A minor sonata K310
Prokofiev 2nd sonata
Bach WTCII no 6
Busoni tr Bach toccata in D minor

Offline the romantic

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 05:32:12 AM
Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Well, I know that there is no fixed pattern - that was the problem!  ;D

After some more practice and, with more control over playing both hands together, I'm now able to vary the speed of that scale to match the right hand....well, almost  :P  It's definitely a tough piece to learn, and I haven't even come to the double notes yet!   :-\

Offline pianisten1989

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 07:20:32 AM
Practise sloooowly. If you learn it slowly, you'll forget it slowly :D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert