Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: First classical pieces for 7 yr old  (Read 1849 times)

Offline shine11

• PS Silver Member
First classical pieces for 7 yr old
on: June 30, 2010, 08:01:11 PM
Hi. I am looking for a selection of classical pieces for a little girl of 7. What would you suggest for her first "proper" classical piece? Ideally I would like a book rather than printing out sheet music. Pieces like Beethoven's Russian Folk Song, Bach's minuet in G are perfect but I'm not sure what books to find these in. Or would I be better getting something like Schumann or Tchaikovsy's children's albums? I know there are heaps of "First Classics" albums but I would like to find a decent one with some original music in rather than easy versions.

Thankyou for any help!

Offline mistermoe

• PS Silver Member
Re: First classical pieces for 7 yr old
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 08:31:17 PM
Although you are looking for books i can recommend the early works by mozart K1 and K2 (2 minuets). You can even find them here. He wrote them when he was about 6 years old. Perhaps a little bit to difficult, but have them in mind in case you are looking for the next piece. All children go crazy when you tell them at which age Mozart wrote them  ;D. And they are lovely pieces! Not long at all. You can find them in many collections of easy piano music.

Is this girl just starting to play the piano or for how long is she taking lessons already. What did she work on before? If you give us a little more information, i'm sure we can recommend even more pieces.

Offline shine11

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 09:12:39 PM
Thanks so much. I will have a listen to the Mozart. She has been playing for about a year and is at the start of the third learner book. (J.Thompson) I have given her all sorts along with the learner, blues/boogie, children's songs etc and she is reading and playing great. I want to start her on some classical pieces but I am so tired of the same books I end up getting so wanted some new ideas. I have been using the classics to moderns books but just find them so boring. Am sometimes a little unsure as to what material to use after the first few learner books.

Offline nagatomo

• PS Gold Member
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 05:26:17 PM
Are you in USA?
Bach's Minuet in G may well be in Anna Magdalena's Notebook...

Classics to Moderns series or Hours with Masters series would be ideal materials... but I don't know if these are available where you are.  May be on-line shopping?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert